Hi, my name is Nat, and I'm a brushaholic

OK, new additions have arrived:

proxy.php

Semogue SOC Pure Bristle

proxy.php

Semogue 620 Boar

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
You have some fantastic brushes! Don't think of them as purchases fueled by addiction, but rather, investments influenced by calculated reasoning. :thumbup:

What is that black handled finest in post above? The one above the Simpson. I would like to know knot size and see a post- bloom picture if possible. Nice assortment you have!

What is that black handled finest in post above? The one above the Simpson. I would like to know knot size and see a post- bloom picture if possible. Nice assortment you have!

Thanks!

That's a Shavemac with a 24mm 2 band silver tip knot that I bought used off a gent in The Shave Nook. The loft is 46mm.

I bought it used, and the gentleman did say he used it a few times. In fact, he must have used it enough for the band of soap residue that is seen at the base of the knot in that pic to form. I have cleaned the brush, that band is no longer there.

I don't believe it will bloom a lot more. But if it does I will post another pic.

Thanks!

That's a Shavemac with a 24mm 2 band silver tip knot that I bought used off a gent in The Shave Nook. The loft is 46mm.

I bought it used, and the gentleman did say he used it a few times. In fact, he must have used it enough for the band of soap residue that is seen at the base of the knot in that pic to form. I have cleaned the brush, that band is no longer there.

I don't believe it will bloom a lot more. But if it does I will post another pic.

Was not quite awake yet and did not notice the soap ring on the phone screen :blush:

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to reknot a Ever-Ready 501L with a Virginia Sheng 2-band Finest 24mm knot when it arrives from China, so I was drawn to that beauty of a brush. I may try to seat it around 50mm, so a little higher than your brush is set at. I will need to see how dense it is, but it likely is less dense than the Shavemac knot.

I would love to hear your opinions of the Semogue boars - I have the 620 and today was the 10th shave with it and it seems to be breaking in - in may be my wishful thinking, but the brush seemed to be able to produce/hold more lather today, so I was able to do three passes without going back to the MWF. The SOC in cherry is another fabulous looking brush that may find its way into my rotation next year, but I do see that Italian Barber offers a new cherry handled competitor in boar that looks very good. If it is sourced from Zeneith - it may be a winner. Decisions, decisions, decisions......

Last edited:
When I went to move I found an unused Jagger brush I forgot I had. That makes at least 8 brushes (not fully unpacked to verify).

Since you now have a wide range of brushes to compare it to, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Plisson "La Maison Du Barbier" once you get a chance to use it.

As a matter of fact, it's on deck for this evening's shave!

I can say that I was a little disappointed with the Muhle black fiber synth. Not that it was bad, just that my $42 whipped dog was better, and the Muhle was much more expensive. We'll see how the Plisson performs.

Was not quite awake yet and did not notice the soap ring on the phone screen :blush:

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to reknot a Ever-Ready 501L with a Virginia Sheng 2-band Finest 24mm knot when it arrives from China, so I was drawn to that beauty of a brush. I may try to seat it around 50mm, so a little higher than your brush is set at. I will need to see how dense it is, but it likely is less dense than the Shavemac knot.

I would love to hear your opinions of the Semogue boars - I have the 620 and today was the 10th shave with it and it seems to be breaking in - in may be my wishful thinking, but the brush seemed to be able to produce/hold more lather today, so I was able to do three passes without going back to the MWF. The SOC in cherry is another fabulous looking brush that may find its way into my rotation next year, but I do see that Italian Barber offers a new cherry handled competitor in boar that looks very good. If it is sourced from Zeneith - it may be a winner. Decisions, decisions, decisions......

I love all my Semogues! My 620 is rapidly becoming one of my favorites! That little beast can whip up some lather!

My boars are still breaking in also, but already I can face lather with them without any real issues. But I must say I've been mostly bowl lathering here lately, and all of the boars excell at producing quality lather.

Since you now have a wide range of brushes to compare it to, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Plisson "La Maison Du Barbier" once you get a chance to use it.

I used the Plisson House of the Barber tonight. I'd have to say it's in a dead heat with my Whipped Dog synth. It was simply excellent!

The tips were soft as a feather. The knot was a little bouncy, but not too much so, I was easily able to get fine splaying and lathering on the face was not an issue. I was lathering in my scuttle, and it whipped up the lather like a demon.

If I had to choose, I'd give a slight edge to the Whipped Dog simply because I like the feel of the WD handle in my hand just slightly better than the feel of the Plisson's plastic handle.

I used the Plisson House of the Barber tonight. I'd have to say it's in a dead heat with my Whipped Dog synth. It was simply excellent!

The tips were soft as a feather. The knot was a little bouncy, but not too much so, I was easily able to get fine splaying and lathering on the face was not an issue. I was lathering in my scuttle, and it whipped up the lather like a demon.

If I had to choose, I'd give a slight edge to the Whipped Dog simply because I like the feel of the WD handle in my hand just slightly better than the feel of the Plisson's plastic handle.

Thanks for the update, Nat! I've been eyeing that brush up lately, so good to know that you liked it so much.

And I thought I was going overboard for having 3: Stirling Kong, Razorock synth(22 mm) the non-Plissoft synth, and AoS finest badger. I also bought a Pure badger for my younger son and a WSP duchess finest dense for my older son who will be starting med school in 2016.

Top Bottom