What's new

Heresy coming - brace yourselves

Yes, I've gone through that phase, but decided I was hopelessly interested in trying new scents, and moved on. I've gotten comfortable with, and even embraced, my obsession. Now I only wish the days were much shorter so I could wear many more of the frags I have in bottles, decants and samples during the week.

I do find myself missing the days when I had one scent that I reached for reliably, and never deviated from, and always felt comfortable wearing, and just knew it was mine. The simple signature, the workhorse, the companion scent.

The process of exploring other fragrances and collecting them hasn't been regrettable in the least. But I'm winding it down. I've worn over 300 scents at this point and very few of them moved me into the realm of needing to continue smelling them. A few became favorites, and out of those I now only have and keep about 15. Soon it will be just 10 or so, and from those I'll be keeping an eye on narrowing it down to a spare 3 or 4 at most.

I'd definitely be happy with that many. One everyday scent. One special occasion scent. One weekend scent. And maybe one oddball to keep my imagination alive.

+1 to everything, especially the last part.

Not to hijack the thread but do you ever look at your collection of bottles, decants and samples and have no clue what to wear? Happens to be waaaaay to much and I wish I could just pick a handful and PIF/BST the rest.

Happens almost every work day and I find it d*mn frustrating. I'm going to start a routine where--along with brushing my teeth, washing my face, etc.--before I go to bed I will choose and put out my fragrance for the next moring based on weather forecast, clothing choice, work environment and after work activities. Might sound ridiculous but I figure it'll save me some time and sanity in what are usually hectic mornings to begin with.

No. The more scents I try, the more I realize that every mood and day has its own fragrance and that there are new experiences around the corner. My wallet disagrees however.

i agree with everything above this line. i didn't think i had that many bottles and decants... but then i checked again... jeez

Anyone else ever get tired of sampling different stuff after a while and feel like it would be better just to decide on one or two main scents?

I'll give that a qualified yes. I think I've actually settled into a pretty limited rotation. I still have a bunch of samples, but I don't see myself buying any of them. I'm not sure if I want to thin out the herd or not, but my buying has completely cooled off. I still enjoy oddball aftershaves, but that's a day off kind of thing. I'll know for sure if I decide to get rid of everything beyond the frags I'm using.

I have settled down to about a handful. Aventus, Safari, Oxford & Cambridge, and Terre d'Hermes. My question is this: Does anyone ever stop wearing a scent for a while and then go back to it and ask "How did I ever tolerate wearing this awful stuff?"

Top Bottom