Henson Razor Club.

Sunday Shave

IMG_7040.jpg

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: KCG (2)
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Very good shave today as expected. I decided to forego the WTG pass and just start with an XTG pass. It worked fine. We'll see what I do in the future.

Yesterday’s shave with the medium resulted in some irritation so this morning I decided shaved with the mild loaded with a fresh Feather. I’m glad I did. The results of course were excellent and no irritation.
I have found Feathers to be a bit harsh on the face. I placed a Derby Extra in my Medium Henson and was surprised at the near BBS result. I believe the Henson is tolerant even with the lower end blades. I was even able to do an ATG in the moustache area, where normally I can't do that with any other razor. Very pleased with my Henson Medium, probably will stick with that for a long time.

I have found Feathers to be a bit harsh on the face. I placed a Derby Extra in my Medium Henson and was surprised at the near BBS result. I believe the Henson is tolerant even with the lower end blades. I was even able to do an ATG in the moustache area, where normally I can't do that with any other razor. Very pleased with my Henson Medium, probably will stick with that for a long time.
Overall I'm very pleased with the Medium as well. This morning's shave with the Mild and a Feather resulted in a near BBS head shave. I'll be returning to the medium later this week and will revisit with some of my seldom used blades.

Pre Shave:Hot water, Razor Emporium Pre-Shave Soap Bar
Razor:Henson AL13 v2 mild
Blade:Tatra Platinum (1)
# Days Growth:2
Soap/Cream:CELLA Bio
Brush:Simpson's Duke 2 Best Badger
Post Shave:Cold water, Thayers, Nivea
Weepers:0
Nicks/cuts:0
Irritation:see comments below
Sharpness:10
Comfort:6

DFS++ 3 pass (2 on neck) but not a comfortable shave. I skipped the Jermyn pre-shave as a test and only used the Razor Emporium pre-shave bar. The razor did not glide as usual and I have noticeable post-shave sting (everywhere) and redness (on my neck).

Shave 05-13-24_5730.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased with the Medium as well. This morning's shave with the Mild and a Feather resulted in a near BBS head shave. I'll be returning to the medium later this week and will revisit with some of my seldom used blades.
It's nice to know that the Henson will perform well with less than sharp to super sharp blades. I believe I have also used KAIs and for sure the RK and Astra SPs. These do give a little longer lasting shave result over the Derby Extra I used this morning.

Friday May 3, 2024
Bowl: Shave Nation
Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts
Lather: Tabac
Razor: Henson ++ (181)
Blade: GSB (1)

View attachment 1839907
All these wonderful pictures brings a question to my mind. Every razor looks immaculate, and I was just wondering how many Henson users keep their razor looking like this after every shave? I always tear mine down, soapy brush the razor parts, rinse and pat the blade dry, dry everything, then oil the threads. I reassemble all parts, so the razor is ready for use and set back on my stand. Do all Henson Club folks do this or is it no cleaning until blade change? I also use a marker pen to put a slash mark on the blade after each shave just to see how many shaves the blade has actually has.

All these wonderful pictures brings a question to my mind. Every razor looks immaculate, and I was just wondering how many Henson users keep their razor looking like this after every shave? I always tear mine down, soapy brush the razor parts, rinse and pat the blade dry, dry everything, then oil the threads. I reassemble all parts, so the razor is ready for use and set back on my stand. Do all Henson Club folks do this or is it no cleaning until blade change? I also use a marker pen to put a slash mark on the blade after each shave just to see how many shaves the blade has actually has.
I replace my blade after every shave so I simply rinse and dry my razor. Every now and then I will apply a drop of mineral oil to keep the threads lubricated. I find the AL13 needs very little maintenance. the Ti22 on the other hand... I owned two of them and it was very hard to keep water droplets from staining the top cap.

I do clean my Hensons only after blade change. Max of 5 pitched after.

I am using shave app which allows me to monitor how many times I use my blades and all other shaving items.

There’s no need to mark or remember anything. Apps does it all and even provides SOTD & statistical report if you want.

I do clean my Hensons only after blade change. Max of 5 pitched after.

I am using shave app which allows me to monitor how many times I use my blades and all other shaving items.

There’s no need to mark or remember anything. Apps does it all and even provides SOTD & statistical report if you want.
I only have a flip phone, so I'm up the creek on that one. I'll keep this idea in mind though, in case I up grade into the modern world! Thanks for the info.

I replace my blade after every shave so I simply rinse and dry my razor. Every now and then I will apply a drop of mineral oil to keep the threads lubricated. I find the AL13 needs very little maintenance. the Ti22 on the other hand... I owned two of them and it was very hard to keep water droplets from staining the top cap.
I was curious as I would have liked to get about 2 to 4 shaves without disassembling and cleaning all the time. Afraid of rust from the blade and gunk, staining the razor. Mine is the natural aluminum version. Be cool to just rinse the razor under hot water, shake out the excess and place in my stand. Or, even more interesting, would be to just throw it in the Ultra Sonic bath once a week, see how that works out. My fear is that I tend to over do things, and would like to be a little more reasonable with my razors. Thank you for your comment.

Top Bottom