What's new

Help choosing cream instead of soap

If they are available in your area or by post, you really should try Arko cremes. They are really very good, have very similar ingredients to TOBS, and are especially good values. There are several scents to choose from; I like the three I have tried (won't say which they are because it doesn't matter -- they are all good).

Alex - if you like the scent of EJ Aloe Soap maybe you should just get a tube of the shaving cream. From the stores you listed there were some fine shaving creams to consider.

Thank you all for all the answers I got. In the end I decided to go with T&H Trafalgar cream. And I can´t wait for it to arrive :p

I just started to master my lather lol. I use Truefitt & Hill or TOBS. Both are not cheap but will last you a long time.

Thank you all for all the answers I got. In the end I decided to go with T&H Trafalgar cream. And I can´t wait for it to arrive :p

Thats a good scent. I have a tube of that and ordered the Trafalgar aftershave the other day. Hope it gets here soon. You should enjoy it.

If you've only been shaving for three weeks or so, have you considered that the lather may be fine but you haven't learned a suitable technique completely, or that your razor or blade may not be ideal for your beard/face?
There are a lot of variables in the process, I wouldn't try to pin it down to one area until I was certain that the other factors were considered.

Generally, very generally, I've found that creams make a great looking lather more easily, and good soaps are slicker but more difficult to build that picture-book micro-bubble froth. My face seems to like the slick better than the pretty - but you can get slick with either form.

I'd look around at sample packs - some are free, some are priced at just enough to cover shipping, and some cost a bit more - but I've spent maybe $25 on enough samples to shave me for a couple of months. Bear in mind that if they indicate "enough for a good shave" they probably put enough product in there for two damned fine shaves, they gave you a bit too much to make certain you have a good experience. To be honest, I get a shave with Arko that's about as good as I get from the high-priced spreads, it just doesn't smell as pleasing to me. In fact, I haven't run into an unusable cream or soap yet, but some take a lot more fiddling. I get better results from trying different razors/settings and different blades.

As always, your results will likely be different than mine.

Top Bottom