What's new

Hello from Virginia

Hello everyone.

I've been a lurker here for about 6 months. Finally decided it's about time to sign up.

I've been wet shaving now for a few months and it's been difficult to say the least. A couple of years ago I started to shave my head on a regular basis. I've been using cartridge razors for most of that time. Before that; I had used an electric razor for my face for most of my life. Started with a remington foil and always loved that razor - back before the company changed. I moved on and now currently own a Braun series 7. (not as good as the old remington's in my opinion, ymmv).

But I absolutely do not enjoy shaving my head with an electric. So that moved me to the cartridge razor's. But I have extremely sensative skin and course hair. So I was spending a lot of money on refill's.

That brought me to wet shaving. So it's been a learning experience. I started with a not so good safety razor and blades ( I won't mention the brand ). I then bought my Edwin Jagger and it's working really well. But I had a lot of work on developing my technique. I also had to find a blade that worked for me.

Milder blades have not been good because It just takes me forever to get a shave done, plus I have trouble cutting through my course stubble with them. But the really sharp blades were causing me too much irritation.

So I'm happy to report that the last couple of shaves for me have been really delightful. I think I've finally arrived. So that's what spurred me to finally join up here. I really didn't know if I was going to be able to make wet shaving work. But after some trial and error I'm really happy to know that I can now get really good shaves and I'm sure it's only going to get better from here on out.

So I now am using the Edwin Jagger DE86 (black handle) with Crystal Blades (I also have had success with Astra's and Wilkinson Sword's. I also want to try Personna's. I use Proraso's pre-shave and shave cream and my after shave is Thayer's and Proraso's balm.

Today's shave was almost 100% irritation free with a bss closeness. I'm a little OCD with having to have a close shave.

I can't even get this clean of a shave with an electric razor. So I have to say for the first time in basically all my life I've got the best shave I've ever experienced.

So I just wanted to thank everyone here, this is a great forum that inspires newbe's to keep at it during the intitial learning stage when they are ready to give up.

Welcome aboard! Looks like you are doing just fine!
Thank you BigJ,
It was rough sailing there for awhile. Severe 3rd degree razor burn, cuts, nicks and weepers, missing earlobe (just kidding) you name it. I gave up a few times and went back to my cartridges. But they are expensive and just weren't giving me a comfortable shave so I stuck with it. Although after my feather blade trial; I felt like I just got a good dose of radioactive exposer.

I have to say that the Crystals have been a real blessing. That and getting my angle right.

Hello and welcome, Dave. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hello everyone.

I've been a lurker here for about 6 months. Finally decided it's about time to sign up.

I've been wet shaving now for a few months and it's been difficult to say the least. A couple of years ago I started to shave my head on a regular basis. I've been using cartridge razors for most of that time. Before that; I had used an electric razor for my face for most of my life. Started with a remington foil and always loved that razor - back before the company changed. I moved on and now currently own a Braun series 7. (not as good as the old remington's in my opinion, ymmv).

But I absolutely do not enjoy shaving my head with an electric. So that moved me to the cartridge razor's. But I have extremely sensative skin and course hair. So I was spending a lot of money on refill's.

That brought me to wet shaving. So it's been a learning experience. I started with a not so good safety razor and blades ( I won't mention the brand ). I then bought my Edwin Jagger and it's working really well. But I had a lot of work on developing my technique. I also had to find a blade that worked for me.

Milder blades have not been good because It just takes me forever to get a shave done, plus I have trouble cutting through my course stubble with them. But the really sharp blades were causing me too much irritation.

So I'm happy to report that the last couple of shaves for me have been really delightful. I think I've finally arrived. So that's what spurred me to finally join up here. I really didn't know if I was going to be able to make wet shaving work. But after some trial and error I'm really happy to know that I can now get really good shaves and I'm sure it's only going to get better from here on out.

So I now am using the Edwin Jagger DE86 (black handle) with Crystal Blades (I also have had success with Astra's and Wilkinson Sword's. I also want to try Personna's. I use Proraso's pre-shave and shave cream and my after shave is Thayer's and Proraso's balm.

Today's shave was almost 100% irritation free with a bss closeness. I'm a little OCD with having to have a close shave.

I can't even get this clean of a shave with an electric razor. So I have to say for the first time in basically all my life I've got the best shave I've ever experienced.

So I just wanted to thank everyone here, this is a great forum that inspires newbe's to keep at it during the intitial learning stage when they are ready to give up.
Welcome

Welcome Dave! I'm just up the road in Williamsburg. Sounds like you are well on your journey to the bright side! If you are so inclined check into the Virginia Gentlemen thread in Clubs and Brotherhoods. Its been quiet for a while.

Welcome to B&B!
Glad to hear you're starting to get better shaves. It gets easier and easier with practice.

Welcome Dave! I'm just up the road in Williamsburg. Sounds like you are well on your journey to the bright side! If you are so inclined check into the Virginia Gentlemen thread in Clubs and Brotherhoods. Its been quiet for a while.
Ok I will, thank you for the suggestion.

Top Bottom