What's new

Hello, folks! Long time lurker, finally joined up.

Hello folks,

I have been browsing the forums for quite some time and finally got around to joining up.

I am from Northern Ireland. I am back to the whole wet shaving scene after a few years of being bearded!

My collection is quite small but I'm looking to grow it, hopefully with some help on here. I have a few vintage straight razors. Some Solingen, some Sheffield and a few others.

However, I am very keen to acquire some vintage Swedish razors.. so if anyone has any in shave ready condition that may be of interest to me, please feel free to let me know!

I also like DE shaving. I mostly have modern DE razors. I am quite fond of the Muhle brand. However, I would like to acquire some older models, maybe a restored Gillette Fatboy or Slim.. so will be watching out on here in case anyone is selling one! Or if there are any stores that cater for restored older DE models.

I have an interest in all aspects of wet shaving.. I like collecting and trying out different products, soaps, creams etc also. Recently I have been trying out shave creams from the Fitjar Islands company in Norway besides old classics like Arko and Proraso.

That's about all from me. Just wanted to say Hello. I hope to be around the boards from now onwards.

Many thanks

Swedish straights are not as common as the Sheffields or Solingens. The steel tends to be hard, so honing them is time consuming and laborious.

I heard they were very good razors so I had to buy one to try. I thought it was ok, so I had to buy another one to confirm. 40 odd Swedes later I'm still trying to decide 😀.

I have found in the last few years they are not as value for money as they used to be. Heljestrands especially seem to be going for silly prices for razors I would almost deem end of life. Good luck with the search though.

Thank you to everyone for the kind welcome messages! I have read them all and they are very much appreciated!

Oh and just a little update.. I actually just obtained my very first Swedish razor! :001_cool:

Its a Klas Tornblom. I really fell for it when I saw it.. you know how sometimes you see a razor and it just instantly pulls you in. Something about it I really liked.

It is so very sleek in comparison to my other "heftier" razors of 6/8 and more! I believe this is typical style of old Swedish razors. From what I've seen they mostly tend to be on the more narrow, nimble side. I once read a post on here I think, saying that even if you do find wider razors of Swedish origin they often were made for the export markets.

It looks so dainty I'm almost afraid of hurting it. :laugh: Although as it is probably 100 odd years old and still in fine order I guess its tougher than it looks.. probably more likely that it will outlive me. :biggrin1:

I'm really glad to have my first little Swede. May it be the first of many. In future when I am able to post on the sales thread I will maybe put up a WTB post for some other Swedish razors.

Oh and I also picked up a new Muhle Rocca razor. I got the R95 I believe it's called. With the birch bark handle. However it hasn't arrived yet.. its running late. I should have it in a couple of days at most. Tomorrow or Monday at latest I'd imagine. I'll try not shave until it arrives. I want to see how it performs with a few days growth. I've read and heard a lot about the Rocca but as yet never got round to having one!

Besides that nothing much else new with me. I did get a few new creams, soaps, blades etc which will maybe spice up my shaves and give me something to share about on the boards.

Well that's all from me for the moment! Thanks again to everyone!

Best wishes

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the kind welcome messages! I have read them all and they are very much appreciated!

Oh and just a little update.. I actually just obtained my very first Swedish razor! :001_cool:

Its a Klas Tornblom. I really fell for it when I saw it.. you know how sometimes you see a razor and it just instantly pulls you in. Something about it I really liked.
You are correct about the sizes of Swedish razors. From my experience, most are between 4/8 and 5/8. There are also 3/8 which take some getting used to.

The Tornblom razors are nice. You might notice that many of the Swedish manufacturers made similar razors. I have a few E A Berg razors that are very alike some Heljestrands.

Top Bottom