What's new

Hello everyone! I am having issues shaving with a safety razor

grabberorangemustang,

I myself am a total noob at this new-fangled, old-fashioned way of shaving! It's been a little over two weeks with the DE for me now, and only this past week was my post shave experience very smooth and comfortable for me. My facial skin is soft & pliable and really prone to razor burn/rash and cuts. I found that washing my face with soap prior to shaving made it worse, so I just use a wet washcloth to exfoliate. Also, hot water made things worse - even before with multi-blade cartridge razors, so for the past several weeks, I have only been using cold water from start to finish - even soak my brush in it. The cold really tightens my skin. After I wet my face and neck, I massage six drops of light olive oil all over the shaving area with my palms. Then I lather on my soap - starting in a mug and finishing the lather with my brush on my face. What a difference it has made, smooth as silk in two passes (WTG & ATG) and the cold water really wakes me up in the morning! Splash on some of my special blend of Thayer's Witch Hazel + essential oils, and I feel like a new man ready for the day!

You might try the olive oil, just be sure to only use a few drops as I think too much would make it hard to rinse the razor. It really does not have much smell to it if you use the light type (not extra-virgin). It's a cheap way to see if a pre-shave oil will work for you.

Last edited:
Well here is an update. Im not sure if it has gotten better. I will say that when I shave, which is every other day, the razor seems to "pull" the whiskers. It doesn't hurt, but you feel it and I try to go slow, but not too slow. Here are updated pics and my routine.

Hot water and brush in mug
Shower and wash face
Wet face with warm water
Apply pre shave creme
Start lather by mixing vegetable glycerin and an almond size of shave soap mix in mug for 2 min
Apply lather to face for 1 min
Shave WTG
rinse face
lather
shave wtg
rinse face
lather
shave wtg
rinse with warm and then cold water
pat dry
apply witch hazel
wait to dry
apply lotion

Im using ASTRA blades and the same equipment in the picture from before.

Attachments

• $IMG_3602.jpg
    $IMG_3602.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 57
  • $IMG_3603.jpg
    $IMG_3603.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 56
First of all, take a break and wait for those things to heal. It's hard to shave over them and you might make them coming back.

Then, try to reduce the products you are using. Try another cream, another aftershave. Try to limit at basic stuff, as you might have an allergic reaction without knowing it, at an ingredient or something like this.

Now, it's hard to get a feeling over it from the picture, but you should feel it better with your hand. Shaving WTG does not necessary mean from north to south. Had the same problem like you, bad rash on the neck, but tried to shave from north to south from the beginning, as i was seeing that on youtube. Now, for example, i shave mostly north to south on cheeks, but on neck, on my lower neck area i need to go opposite, from south to north, and on sides, from east to west on some areas.

You say that the razor is pulling. This can happen in some instances. One case would be poor prep. The lather might be too dry. Then, blade angle. Try to get that 30 degrees angle. Then, blades might cause this too. But honestly, i only used Derby from what you have used too, in a razor with the same head (Muhle R106 in my case) and that combo just slide across my face very easy. But i don't like it too much, as it makes me be careless and go over the same area more than i should or use the blade without lather in some areas. Had only one cut with it, but i might develop some bad habits this way.

Not applying pressure can be tricky on the neck. But try it. You don't want to feel the blade cutting. You want it to feel glide. It will cut, but you shouldn't feel it too much. You feel it only if you are against the grain or you don't have too good lather. If you are against the grain, you should change direction. I personally found that, on the neck, in my case, longer strokes helps more. I just let the blade slide over an area where i know the grain direction (i said earlier that can be tricky on some areas). I don't care how it looks, if i don't took it all, i'm not gonna go over once again, gonna take it on next pass. Also important, if you pull your skin, especially on neck. Try not to pull too hard. For example, in the area you have problems, looking straight up or pulling your head up might be too much. Raise your head a little, just so you will see the area, and, if you feel you would need a little more pull, just rest your free hand on the base of the neck. Let the weight of the hand to pull the skin, don't pull it yourself.

Try this kind of prep, just for the sake of it, as it's the same i'm using, and i got excellent results once i got the grain direction right:

1) Shower.
2) Soak brush in water for a little (you can leave it while you are showering).
3) Wet face with warm water. And here, don't go green. Use as much water as you can. Make sure you take water in your hands and use them to cover your neck, like a collar.
4) Take the brush out from the water and let the excess water drip. You can help it by just move it a little horizontally.
5) Apply cream directly on your face if it's from a tube;
or
5') Apply cream directly on the brush if it's in a container. Just give few swirls. You don't build lather, you are just trying to get some soap/cream into the brush. It might help to turn the container upside down, letting the gravity help you.
6) Start building the lather directly on your face. Don't be gentle. Use the whole brush, push it, so it will expand, and use circular motions to make the lather expand. This way you will also raise your whiskers. Cover your face and get a look at it. At this point, i personally need to add more water to any cream or soap. If it's looking dry and it's not shiny, you need more water.
7) Add water by dipping the tips of the brush in warm water. And you do the same thing as before, circular motion, you continue building the water at this point. You will probably need to do the same dipping more times. Keep on doing it 'till you see that your lather is starting to shine and it's not dry anymore.
8) Level up your lather with the brush. You will use just the tips here, spreading the lather evenly.
9) Now you can start shaving. It would be a good idea to start with the firs part you messed up with at last points. You added water first on your right cheek and got there your desired lather, start shaving there. Your last area was the neck, leave it for the last part of the shave.
10) Start up by giving your razor a dip in cold water. Use running cold water. Don't use a bowl.
11) Go only with the grain. If you feel any kind of discomfort on an area, you feel that you cut yourself or you might getting razor burn, avoid going over that area any more.
12) Never go over an area without having lather there. You have hair left, no problem, you'll get it on next pass. You have hair left and you are irritated or cut, just leave it there. Girls dig bad shaved guys these days.
13) Wash yourself with cold water and apply desired aftershave.

Having in mind that you have some problems with cuts and irritation, try being more careful with hygiene. Wash your razor after each shave. Just unscrew the head a little, so the blade won't fell, and let the cold water run through it. Use a towel to dry it up as much as you can. When you replace the blade, give it a good clean. Unscrew the parts, wash them with some dish soap and clean them with a towel. You can also keep and alcohol jar near and dip the whole razor into it after each shave. The thing with washing the razor in running water while you shave helps with that too. You don't want your neck "wounds" to take contact with bacteria from sink too much.

First of all, take a break and wait for those things to heal. It's hard to shave over them and you might make them coming back.

Then, try to reduce the products you are using. Try another cream, another aftershave. Try to limit at basic stuff, as you might have an allergic reaction without knowing it, at an ingredient or something like this.

Now, it's hard to get a feeling over it from the picture, but you should feel it better with your hand. Shaving WTG does not necessary mean from north to south. Had the same problem like you, bad rash on the neck, but tried to shave from north to south from the beginning, as i was seeing that on youtube. Now, for example, i shave mostly north to south on cheeks, but on neck, on my lower neck area i need to go opposite, from south to north, and on sides, from east to west on some areas.

You say that the razor is pulling. This can happen in some instances. One case would be poor prep. The lather might be too dry. Then, blade angle. Try to get that 30 degrees angle. Then, blades might cause this too. But honestly, i only used Derby from what you have used too, in a razor with the same head (Muhle R106 in my case) and that combo just slide across my face very easy. But i don't like it too much, as it makes me be careless and go over the same area more than i should or use the blade without lather in some areas. Had only one cut with it, but i might develop some bad habits this way.

Not applying pressure can be tricky on the neck. But try it. You don't want to feel the blade cutting. You want it to feel glide. It will cut, but you shouldn't feel it too much. You feel it only if you are against the grain or you don't have too good lather. If you are against the grain, you should change direction. I personally found that, on the neck, in my case, longer strokes helps more. I just let the blade slide over an area where i know the grain direction (i said earlier that can be tricky on some areas). I don't care how it looks, if i don't took it all, i'm not gonna go over once again, gonna take it on next pass. Also important, if you pull your skin, especially on neck. Try not to pull too hard. For example, in the area you have problems, looking straight up or pulling your head up might be too much. Raise your head a little, just so you will see the area, and, if you feel you would need a little more pull, just rest your free hand on the base of the neck. Let the weight of the hand to pull the skin, don't pull it yourself.

Try this kind of prep, just for the sake of it, as it's the same i'm using, and i got excellent results once i got the grain direction right:

1) Shower.
2) Soak brush in water for a little (you can leave it while you are showering).
3) Wet face with warm water. And here, don't go green. Use as much water as you can. Make sure you take water in your hands and use them to cover your neck, like a collar.
4) Take the brush out from the water and let the excess water drip. You can help it by just move it a little horizontally.
5) Apply cream directly on your face if it's from a tube;
or
5') Apply cream directly on the brush if it's in a container. Just give few swirls. You don't build lather, you are just trying to get some soap/cream into the brush. It might help to turn the container upside down, letting the gravity help you.
6) Start building the lather directly on your face. Don't be gentle. Use the whole brush, push it, so it will expand, and use circular motions to make the lather expand. This way you will also raise your whiskers. Cover your face and get a look at it. At this point, i personally need to add more water to any cream or soap. If it's looking dry and it's not shiny, you need more water.
7) Add water by dipping the tips of the brush in warm water. And you do the same thing as before, circular motion, you continue building the water at this point. You will probably need to do the same dipping more times. Keep on doing it 'till you see that your lather is starting to shine and it's not dry anymore.
8) Level up your lather with the brush. You will use just the tips here, spreading the lather evenly.
9) Now you can start shaving. It would be a good idea to start with the firs part you messed up with at last points. You added water first on your right cheek and got there your desired lather, start shaving there. Your last area was the neck, leave it for the last part of the shave.
10) Start up by giving your razor a dip in cold water. Use running cold water. Don't use a bowl.
11) Go only with the grain. If you feel any kind of discomfort on an area, you feel that you cut yourself or you might getting razor burn, avoid going over that area any more.
12) Never go over an area without having lather there. You have hair left, no problem, you'll get it on next pass. You have hair left and you are irritated or cut, just leave it there. Girls dig bad shaved guys these days.
13) Wash yourself with cold water and apply desired aftershave.

Having in mind that you have some problems with cuts and irritation, try being more careful with hygiene. Wash your razor after each shave. Just unscrew the head a little, so the blade won't fell, and let the cold water run through it. Use a towel to dry it up as much as you can. When you replace the blade, give it a good clean. Unscrew the parts, wash them with some dish soap and clean them with a towel. You can also keep and alcohol jar near and dip the whole razor into it after each shave. The thing with washing the razor in running water while you shave helps with that too. You don't want your neck "wounds" to take contact with bacteria from sink too much.
Basically a cold water shave.....dont forget a good stretch before each pass too..

Well, here we are months down the road and I am still using a safety razor. I still continue to get razor burn. I have tried rotating products. I have upgraded my shave brush. I am starting to lose hope. The only thing that I have not tried is a cold water shave, maybe that is what I need to try.

I am using a simpson badger hair brush, pre shave creme, Stirling shave soap, witchhazel, and proraso balm.

Any ideas? If I had to guess, I would say it is technique. I'm almost sure of it. I am not getting a very close shave and I continue to get razor burn. I try to maintain a 30 degree angle, short strokes, wash razor often, ect...

I agree with responses that said to avoid the Derby blades. Some love them, but I find them to be way too rough and my face doesn't feel right afterwards. If you're not cutting or nicking yourself, it's probably safe to use a Feather blade.

I also agree with posters who warned you off ATG for now. I've been doing this for 2-3 months every day, and I'm still not comfortable with ATG and find that I get a fine enough shave with WTG & XTG. ATG just causes too much razor burn with me.

The irony is that I absolutely had to shave ATG using 80-blade cartridges in order to get a close enough shave, and now I can get a much closer shave going WTG in a single pass with a DE blade. Doing 2-3 passes with a DE blade WTG & XTG gets me beyond anything I imagined possible with cartridges.

I nick myself maybe once a week? If that.

I have tried Astra (5 months) and Personna (1month) blades continuously. I used a derby, shark, and Gillette blade 3-5 shaves each.

Maybe I am ready for a feather blade? Reading about them had me scared to try, because of how sharp they are.

I picked some shave secret up from walmart since my post a few days ago and it does feel like the blade goes across my face much easier. We will see how that helps.

I nick myself maybe once a week? If that.

I have tried Astra (5 months) and Personna (1month) blades continuously. I used a derby, shark, and Gillette blade 3-5 shaves each.

Maybe I am ready for a feather blade? Reading about them had me scared to try, because of how sharp they are.

I picked some shave secret up from walmart since my post a few days ago and it does feel like the blade goes across my face much easier. We will see how that helps.
You said that you was going to try cold water shaving. Try it.

Hi Everyone,

I'm jumping in on this thread because I am a newbie, too. First time poster here.

I want to thank the polite members of this forum for their helpful suggestions. I started wet shaving a week ago and what a challenge it is!

I have a difficult shave because my skin is very sensitive but my beard is thick and the grain swirls on the neck! I once went for a wet shave at the "Art of Shaving" in New York with their old time expert, Boris (recently retired!). Poor Boris muttered to himself about how difficult my beard was. Nevertheless, I like a challenge that can be conquered by patience!

Long story short: it sounds like I will be at this six months before I get a shave that I can be happy with...?

That said, I do have a question: I am doing 3 passes with the grain but still have a fair bit of stubble. I subsequently do cleanup with a Mach3 + electric razor (yes, my stubble is that hard to manage). Is there any harm in doing that post-double edge cleanup or should I learn to live with a bad shave for 6 months until I get the method down?

Best wishes to all!

in my opinion Wayfarer if what you are doing works for you then do it. Everyone starts out differently here some will perfect technique while DE shaving only their cheeks and clean up with carts/elec on their neck. Others just jump straight in and hope for the best lol. Not knowing what you are shaving with hardware wise, you may need to find a different combination for your unique(just like the rest of us) beard. Maybe something with a little more or less bite to it or even some different blades!

Thanks, Chrispy73! I'm using the Merkur long handle and I started out with the blade it came with. I next tried a Bic but that really tugged. So, I'm following advice I got elsewhere to stick with Astra for a good while until I get the hang of it. As for products, I use Art of Shaving pre-shave oil, badger brush with cream, alum bar, and their sandalwood aftershave.

And, thanks again to the nice folks here. It is a rare thing to have an internet community that is wholly supportive!!!

Top Bottom