What's new

Hello everyone! I am having issues shaving with a safety razor

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm with everyone else on minding your angle and pressure. That particular area is very hard to deal with both, since you HAVE to press on it (damned gravity) and it's an awkward position to hold your wrist and elbow fixed. After years of cartridge shaving, you WILL want to press harder than you should and you WILL want to flick your wrist a bit. It's just a fact of life. Be careful and conscious, and you'll get it.

I had the same dadgum problem for about the same amount of time as you did, but it did get better and better. Then, one morning, lo and behold! No irritation! I was floored! By George, I think I got it!

Do mind the lather consistency, too. Put a little between your thumb and forefinger to check its slickness. If it doesn't break down on you, you may be on to something. Spend more time loading your brush and whipping up your lather, twice as much on loading and probably more on whipping (and don't be afraid of adding water--just a very little at a time). A few extra minutes there can save you a day's worth of discomfort.

That area on your neck may also suffer from lather drying out. If you are taking your shave fairly slowly (as you should while still figuring it all out), then your lather may be drying. Do not hesitate to relather spots like your neck, if it's been sitting there a while. Lather is a lot cheaper, man (a lot cheaper than irritation!) When you get to that part, grab your brush for another once-over.

Stick with it, man. It sounds like you are improving, but just not as quickly as you would like. Welcome to the club! :thumbup:

Everyone else's suggestion to avoid AGT for now sounds good for this case. In your strokes, let the weight of the razor do the work, or at least most of the work. Also, pre-shave oil may help. Slop on about 2 or 3 drops and work it into your skin in down-to-up strokes against gravity, then apply lather. AoS' pre shave oil is around $25 and therefore pricey. I've gotten similar results from Shave Secret, about $4.00 from Walmart. American Crew sells for around $8.00 on eBay and various outlets. As your neck heals and you gain proficiency, perhaps you can slowly introduce AGT and relegate the pre-shave preparation as optional.

Agree with the pre-shave oil. Some folks have mentioned they use olive oil - I've never tried it. I use either pure jojoba oil, or a pre-shave that goes along with whatever I'm using. I would also try rinsing off the witch hazel with cold water a minute or two after applying it and then apply the balm - a lot of witch hazel you can buy over the counter may contain alcohol in it that might be irritating the skin (witch hazel extract is a little different).

Wow, you guys are incredible. I wasn't expecting this many responses. You surely helped me regain some confidence. I haven't been shaving ATG, just 2 passes of WTG and one XTG. I will spend more time getting lathered up and spend more time lathering my face. I appreciate the feedback and I will look into the articles shortly. I heard one response against the col conk, is there any other recommendations to change the products?

While I suspect that your problem is due to technique more than prep, the Col Conk soap isn't considered to be an above average product. It's inexpensive, which is certainly appealing but unfortunately it's not a top notch soap. Many would tell you to skip this product and it's not something that I'd recommend either.

I'd recommend something else like:
Phoenix Artisan ($10)
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow ($20)
RazoRock - Mudder Focker or XXX ($10)

If budget is a major concern just pick up a stick or two of Arko for two of three bucks each, it's dirt cheap and performs outstanding. The only knock that people have against it is the cheap synthetic lemon smell.

To avoid shipping charges, you can always get a tube of C.O. Bigelow cream from Bath & Body Works for $5. It's in a green tube and it's actually rebranded Proraso Green which is a very good soap. It is a menthol soap that has a little face chill to it, it's nice. They have buy 2 get one free sales all the time if you find you like it.

I agree with everyone else, to paraphrase Meghan Trainor, "it's all about that angle, 'bout that angle, no pressure!"

Also, going up & down and side to side may or may not be WTG or XTG. I had to map my beard to discover that for myself.

Col. Conk may be a great soap for you, but I had to give up on mine, it just didn't seem to offer me any protection.

Finally, I occasionally use old-fashioned Noxzema cream as a pre-shave, and I absolutely love it.

Not a whole heck of a lot I can add to the fine advice above, but I swapped Derby for an Astra today and had better results.

Welcome to B&B!

Not a lot I can add to whats been said, but I will say the blades you mentioned are of cheaper varieties and not very highly regarded. Nine shaves out of ten I just do a single pass with the grain, and on the days where the 'best' shave is required, I'll do a second against. For myself I see no real reason to go across the grain, a second with the grain accomplishes the same thing with less irritation. Don't sweat a BBS regularly because one it's not needed really, and two it's just a shave when it comes down to it. Whatever shave you walk out the door with will look better than this bloody stubble thing most have going lately.

You might try shaving after you get out of the shower. When most guys say they wet their face and neck you would be surprised at how little water actually gets on your neck. It was an issue I had. Spend more time on your shave try not to shave when you are pressed for time. The advice above is good. Watch the angle of your razor as it will change as it moves around your facial features. Try doing smaller sections and not doing long passes. Again mistakes I made as I would do along pass down my face and continue it down around my chin and neck and the razor went from mild to mean because of the angle as it went down. Go slow and try on your next shave in an area you feel comfortable in. See what is the lightest you can go and still get a good shave you will be surprised how light it really is. Another couple of ideas. Proraso makes a pre/post shave cream it is like noxema it works great. I use this with a hot moist towel for a few minutes it is excellent. Try switching to a shave cream like TOBS Avocado. It is awesome and lathers like crazy. Lastly for me and you will find everyone is different but I rarely do a ATG pass anymore. I will do two WTG and maybe a XTG. I still get a nice shave with less irritation. Good Luck

While I suspect that your problem is due to technique more than prep, the Col Conk soap isn't considered to be an above average product. It's inexpensive, which is certainly appealing but unfortunately it's not a top notch soap. Many would tell you to skip this product and it's not something that I'd recommend either.

I'd recommend something else like:
Phoenix Artisan ($10)
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow ($20)
RazoRock - Mudder Focker or XXX ($10)

If budget is a major concern just pick up a stick or two of Arko for two of three bucks each, it's dirt cheap and performs outstanding. The only knock that people have against it is the cheap synthetic lemon smell.

To avoid shipping charges, you can always get a tube of C.O. Bigelow cream from Bath & Body Works for $5. It's in a green tube and it's actually rebranded Proraso Green which is a very good soap. It is a menthol soap that has a little face chill to it, it's nice. They have buy 2 get one free sales all the time if you find you like it.

I HAD conk as my first shave soap. It lathers well but doesn't provide much slickness.

I use a preshave oil (king of shaves or pacific shave co.). Pick up some Razorock classic from westcoast shaving at 6.99 it is a great deal. Also get a few different blades.

My other advice is take your time. I have been wet shaving for a little over a month now and my technique is better but I still go real slow.

I agree that slickness and minimal pressure are crucial. Uberlather (see the wiki) is the best way to get slickness from lather. It also sounds as if you may not be working up your lather long enough. Since you're not face lathering, the amount of time you spend lathering your face probably isn't the problem.

What also would help is a pre-shave application such as John Allan's Slick Water or TOBS pre-shave gel.

+1
Uberlather did the trick for me. The products I use are found locally. They're inexpensive and last a long time. My uberlather consists of VDH Deluxe soap, The Real Shaving Company cream (about the size of an almond), and 10 drops of glycerin ... Swirl it all together in a bowl. Great stuff! BTW, although the soap and glycerin can by found in several locations, the only place I can find The Real Shaving Company cream is Rite Aid.

Wow you all are great! Very helpful. I will adjust my technique and make sure that I am taking my time and following the process. I will let you all know how it goes and keep you updated.

I'll second what GoneRetro said and echo what a lot of the others have said. I'm about 3 months into DE shaving and am having pretty good luck. I have a sensitive neck and thick whiskers, so it's a recipe for irritation. I have a Merkur 34C and bought a sample pack of blades. I used each for about a week and then swapped, I kept a log of what each blade felt like and how much or little irritation they created. I also made sure to map out my beard after 3-days of not shaving so I knew which direction to shave in. Here's my basic procedure:

1) Either shower or wash face with a mild soap (I'll soak my brush in the sink while doing this)
2) Use a washcloth with hot water on my face for about a minute
3) Put a few pumps of pre-shave oil in my hands and work it into my beard, especially the neck.
3) Lather up a good foam and work it into my beard for about a minute (I use Tabac soap)
4) I make my first pass WTG using 1-2" strokes, flipping the razor each stroke and then rinsing (use almost no pressure and slow strokes)
5) I lather again and make a second pass XTG using the same technique (I don't do ATG, it's too irritating and I don't need it)
6) I'll lather and touch-up some spots if needed
7) Warm rinse then cold rinse
8) Styptic pencil if needed (usually not)
9) Use a good, non-alcohol based after-shave balm (I use either AoS Lavender or Truefitt & Hill unscented)

Here's a copy of my blade log, if you are interested...

Derby - First Tried. A little grabby, but no major cuts/nicks. Overall smooth. 3rd shave was starting to tug more.

Merkur - second ones tried. Seems more "tuggy" initially than the Derby. Will see how multiple shaves go. Had consistent feel throughout. Didn't seem to get duller after a week.

Personna Red - 3rd ones tried. Smooth draw, very little pulling. Irritated face a bit, especially neck. Gave it a few days off and trying again. First shave still good -- no irritation. 2nd shave after break irritated neck again.

Feather - first try was good but next day, neck was very irritated. Let go for the weekend and tried again. Must use less pressure to avoid irritation. So far, best blade.

Thanks for the even more replies! So what did I change, I got a pre-shave creme, glycerin, cheap badger brush and TOBS sensitive shave cream. Here are updated pics from my shave today and my setup of equipment. (Also included my 2 fountain pens... you guys are getting me into many hobbies lol)

My face feels much better, no cuts. It looks better too if the pics don't show that.

Attachments

• $IMG_3517.jpg
    $IMG_3517.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 30
  • $IMG_3518.jpg
    $IMG_3518.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 30
  • $IMG_3519.jpg
    $IMG_3519.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 31
Glad your shaves are getting better, keep it up. It took my face about a month to really get used to the change but now my skin is softer and clearer on my throat area than they have ever been.

Top Bottom