What's new

Heeeelp! Wifey Wants Cast Iron Skillet. OP: Clueless, Freaking Out

Consider that a 12" cast iron skillet can be rather large and heavy. Good for things like frying chicken, maybe, but otherwise a bit unwieldy. I think the 10" size is the sweet spot.

Skillets do not usually come with lids. You can borrow a lid from another pot, though. I like the clear glass ones.

Older cast iron can be reconditioned to be like new. Some of the best pans are the older ones.
Just like this guy the 10 was easy to handle and good for 2 people. 12 is heavy but works well for my family of 4. Also the 12 is a bit big for my the large burner on my stove top. The 10 fit perfectly. All my stuff is lodge and has worked well. I think Costco might have a 2 skillet pack. Not sure of the brand.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Lodge will get it done in spades.

If you don't mind some elbow grease, I have 3 early 20th century skillets I derusted, sanded, reseasoned and they are phenomenal. Cheap, a lot of work, and something you'll be proud of, but again, Lodge gets it done.

I got one 12" Stargazer because I'm a vet and got it for 30% off on veterans day, would never pay full price, but at 30% off, it is superlative. But again, Lodge gets it done.

I would suggest you ask her if she would consider carbon steel. A thickish carbon steel skillet will have many of the same cooking properties as cast iron but offer several features that I find to be significant benefits. The sides of most cast iron pans are fairly steep, but the traditional Lyonnaise shape of most carbon steel skillets is more sloped. I find the slope makes it easier to get the spatula under things. Most cast iron pans have fairly short, horizontal handles. They are fine for sliding the pan around, but I find they require they take more strength to lift and turn than a Lyonnaise handle which is long and sloping. If you make something like a steak with a pan sauce, tipping a twelve inch cast iron skillet to drizzle the sauce over the meat is a hefty chore. A twelve inch cast iron pan like a Lodge is quite heavy. Because carbon steel pans have the sloped or flared rims, you would probably want to go a little wider to get comparable floor space, but carbon steel is a but thinner and, therefore, lighter. Both materials season quite easily. If she is still set on cast iron, Lodge is a great choice IMO. Old, collectible pans like Griswolds are pretty cool, too, but they can get pricey. There are some newer cast iron pans like Finex. They get pretty pricey. In my opinion at the end of the day paying up for something like that will get you a more nicely finished pan and probably a better designed handle. I have a 24 cm cast iron skillet I picked up in the mid-1975s and a bunch of newer carbon steel pans. I use both and find their cooking properties and seasoning properties very similar. I always use the cast iron for something like a frittata that I will finish under the broiler. Lots of folks finish steaks in the oven, and getting a carbon steel pan into most ovens could be challenging. I prefer my steaks done rare on the stovetop so I use steel. The carbon steel takes abuse from things like acidic deglazing better because it has a smoother surface that re-seasons with ease. I used to cook acidic things in the cast iron, however, and got fine results. Cook some bacon and fry some potatoes and they re-season very quickly. Some people say they detect the taste of iron when they use cast iron for acidic things like a tomato-based spaghetti sauce. I never noticed any issues of that sort. Whatever you pick, a lid is a real plus. Generally restaurant supply stores like Ace Mart offer inexpensive aluminum lids that will fit most common sizes. I use my lids a lot. Throwing the lid over burgers with just a splash of water in the pan will steam melt the cheese to perfection in seconds. I know this is an overlong and pedantic response, but a twelve inch pan is really heavy. Two nine inch Lodge pans would be my preference over one twelve incher. My last comment is that for the most part, carbon steel pans are fungible. There is no need to pay DeBuyer prices if you find a Matfer or no name pan in the size and thickness you want. I do not find cast iron pans as fungible, the biggest differences being the smoothness of the cooking surface.
I second the carbon steel route. I have a much used and 12" cast iron skillet, but it's a beast. While I'm no Arnold Schwarzenegger, neither am I all that weak, yet I find it almost impossible to hold the skillet (let alone with one hand) to pour any glaze out of it. I now primarily use the skillet for frying and roasting.

For stovetop cooking, a carbon steel skillet would be much better. It can also work well for baking dishes in the oven. The main drawback of a carbon steel skillet relative to a cast iron one would be heat retention. But IME heat retention is rarely a major concern when cooking with skillets since more often than not it will be used for quick stovetop cooking.

If your wife is dead set on a cast iron skillet, though, I'd also recommend going with a Lodge skillet. They offer a good product at a reasonable price.

I'm taken back by this thread. I paid about $15ea for a large cast iron skillet shipped to my door. It's amazing... Exactly what my grandmother cooked with. I use it at least two to three times a day along with a small one. It's non-stick and I often use it to make pizzas (I actually have two of them so I can make two pizzas but I only use one regularly for cooking.) These are nice thick skillets, as heavy as I've ever handled (very hard to do with one hand). I guess I had no idea people spent money on such a thing, but then here I am with close to 200 razors, some of which cost more than my first car. I'm going to look into this.

Eben Stone

Staff member
If you go the antique/garage sale/estate sale route and you come across an otherwise fine pan that is encrusted in old gunk, it is amazingly easy to remove that stuff by putting it in the oven on the self cleaning cycle, but, and this is a major caveat, mother boards failing because of the high temperatures the self cleaning cycle is a fairly common thing. Replacing a failed motherboard is necessary because it controls everything, not just the self cleaning cycle. It can be a very expensive repair.
You can also put it on a BBQ with some water in it and let it boil. Add hot water as needed. I suggest BBQ because it's outdoors and won't stink up your house.

@Wogus If you're new to cast iron, just in case you don't know, don't ever clean it with soap.

You can also put it on a BBQ with some water in it and let it boil. Add hot water as needed. I suggest BBQ because it's outdoors and won't stink up your house.

@Wogus If you're new to cast iron, just in case you don't know, don't ever clean it with soap.
We have always cleaned our cast irons with soap when necessary. It does no harm at all and hardly removes any grease or oil from any part but the very surface. When I heat mine too dry it, the oils already begin to surface but I also typically throw in some bacon grease or a tablespoon of olive oil and wipe it out. Mine are immaculate, they're always ready to cook on, and they taste fantastic!

Eben Stone

Staff member
We have always cleaned our cast irons with soap when necessary...
:yikes::nono::out:

What's necessary?

My skillet is about 3 years old. I use it maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I haven't cleaned it yet and I don't plan to either. I mean with soap. I just brush out the chunks and rinse it out with hot water. If it looks too greasy I boil water in it for a few minutes.

Is there a good reason why I should use soap?

09B5B7FF-971E-4B20-9D10-3F74D671701D.jpeg

I live pretty close to the Lodge factory; have a number of their skillets and Dutch Ovens. They all do the job and do it well.
But….they ain’t on the same playing field as my mother‘s (left) and grandmother’s Griswolds. Both are now mine and are top of the heap in my cast iron arsenal. Lodge is great. Griswold is epic😉

Do not use soap or you will (or at least should) have to season it again.
Dishwashing soaps remove grease, which is not what you want for a good cast iron skillet.
The grease build up is good.
Just use a scrubber and some clean water to clean and then take some of that delicious excess bacon grease ya keep in a cup next to the stove and a paper towel, dip it in the grease and wipe the pan down.

If someone does use soap it is a great reason for a bonfire and a good pipe and beveradge.
I do not like seasoning in an oven.
They say a new Lodge is pre seasoned, but I like to go through the process anyway.

How To Season Your Cast-Iron Skillet:
  1. Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
  2. Dry thoroughly.
  3. Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
  4. Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
  5. Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.
  6. Or go build a nice bonfire and grease her up good and season over said fire enjoying smores, a hot beveradge a good pipe and maybe a little schnapps for the hot chocolate if you're feeling randy.

I have Wagner Ware and Wagner 1891 (better handles). I bought them new a long, long time ago. My mother used Wagner Ware. They are a solid step up from current Lodge cast iron. I want a smooth bottom in my cast iron pans.

When my son wanted cast iron, I bought him Griswold. Lighter and better finished than Wagner. A full tier above Lodge or any of the current top (price) tier cast iron I've held in my hand.

Both Wagner and Griswold are very easy to find in vintage stores around my neck of the woods. Prices vary, usability varies, but they are never cheap.

Having read this thread, now I need to check out carbon steel.

If you don't want to break the bank, then Lodge is the choice. I would recommend sanding the Lodge just a bit. Not to get it down to a smooth finish like the vintage/high-end cast iron (unless you really want to), but to just get some of the rougher areas smoothed out (especially for any glass stovetops).
Honestly the rough surface on the lodge cast iron isn’t that big a deal for me. It evens out after awhile as the seasoning builds up

Do not use soap or you will (or at least should) have to season it again.
Dishwashing soaps remove grease, which is not what you want for a good cast iron skillet.
The grease build up is good.
Just use a scrubber and some clean water to clean and then take some of that delicious excess bacon grease ya keep in a cup next to the stove and a paper towel, dip it in the grease and wipe the pan down.

If someone does use soap it is a great reason for a bonfire and a good pipe and beveradge.
I do not like seasoning in an oven.
They say a new Lodge is pre seasoned, but I like to go through the process anyway.

How To Season Your Cast-Iron Skillet:
  1. Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
  2. Dry thoroughly.
  3. Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
  4. Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
  5. Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.
  6. Or go build a nice bonfire and grease her up good and season over said fire enjoying smores, a hot beveradge a good pipe and maybe a little schnapps for the hot chocolate if you're feeling randy.
The soap stripping seasoning thing is an old wives tale (see, https://www.seriouseats.com/the-truth-about-cast-iron and
).

For instructions on how to clean a cast iron pan: How to Clean and Care for Cast Iron Cookware - https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-clean-maintain-cast-iron-pan-skillet-cookware

Last edited:
:yikes::nono::out:

What's necessary?

My skillet is about 3 years old. I use it maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I haven't cleaned it yet and I don't plan to either. I mean with soap. I just brush out the chunks and rinse it out with hot water. If it looks too greasy I boil water in it for a few minutes.

Is there a good reason why I should use soap?
I can't say whether or not you should use soap (that's up to you.) I find there are times we need to clean the skillet properly to maintain a healthy cooking environment. "Necessary" is merely subjective.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I bought red scotchbrite pads to clean my blackstone grill. They work great on cast iron as well. And yeah Lodge rocks. But I have been lusting after Griswalds on the bay for years. 😀

Here are two of the three my mom had stored in her attic they were carboned up and rusty so I spayed them with Easy-Off oven cleaner and put them in a trash bag for two days. Took them out and cleaned up with a scotch-brite pad, putty knife and steel wool. Took about an hour a piece and they were ready to re-season. They work great
img_2858-jpg.1141127

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This topic is well covered but I have one other thing to contribute:

If you cook something that leaves a lot of crusty burned on residue, simply boil water in the skillet and the grease and bits will simply boil off and make your cleaning job much easier. Once clean, wipe the skillet with oil or lard for storage.

I also recommend smaller and cheaper for your first pan, like getting a first car. ... way easier to handle, easier to learn your seasoning routine, and no big deal if you mess it up and have to start over. The 12 inch is huuuuuge and heavy, my aunt gave me her husband's after he died because she could barely even lift it. I've still never used it either, it's just way too big for my stovetop. But my 10 inch Lodge has been used almost every day for like 10 years.

Last edited:

To each their own.....nice to have the freedom and ability to do it either way.
I can only speak from my experience as an old country boy that grew up with it.
Dawn dish soap is made to degrease.
A cast iron skillet thrives off of grease.

Top Bottom