What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

Beginning to think all of you wonderful gentlemen should try an in production blade like the Treet Platinum.

Ultra smooth and insanely sharp!

Keep your now out of production Russian PPI blades for special occasions… and no, a shower is not special unless you are heading out for a night on the town! 😉
Ultra smooth and insanely sharp are the exact qualities I love!
I decided not to make any shaving related purchases in 2024.
2025.... Treet Platinum will be on my list :)

Monday, March 18, 2024

Hardware
RazorHenson AL13+
BladeGillette Perma-Sharp [7]
BrushSemogue 1470

Software
PreStirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherCanada Shaving Soap [2]
PostThayer’s Lavender
Clubman Lime Sec

Rating
9 / 10

Notes
A fine combination tonight. The CSS lather feels thicker and heavier than MdC. I may need less product and more water before it’s really gliding along. But I can tell it’ll get there.

Head shave 79/366
Tuesday March 19, 2024
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts
Lather: Tabac
Razor: Henson Mild
Blade: Feather (1)

IMG_6594.jpg

full

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Zenith 507BC/ORO MB
Soap: B&M - Bay Rum
Pre: PAA Cube 2.0 (Uncented)
Post: Thayers Witch Hazel Toner, Nivea Sensitive Pro Facial Balm
Notes: New facial balm from Nivea. Works as well as the other products in their Pro series. Testing a GSB-blade in the AL13. The Kai left me a bit sore.

No pictures. But checking in on this Earth's greatest head-shavers! Hopefully you are all well and good!

Wasn't able to finish off the Derby tub before I got bored. Went into a long stretch of TOBS Eton College, and Jack Black Triple Cushion since last week. Went with Proraso Blue today. What wonderfully lathery paradise!

Finished off five flips of ASCO orange and two flips Gillette (Golden Shave, India). Got a ton of practice with the Fatboy since end of last year. Have been using the Timeless Titanium 68 since. No complaints, a few instances of operator error, but overall, great shaves! And it's fun using up the 10 years of stock I purchased last year!

Today's head and face shave: In shower, Prorasso Blue, Omega Brush, Timeless Ti68, Gillette golden-shave, witch hazel, and Skin Bracer.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yesterday's stellar dome chroming :) was a RazoRock Superslant L2OC (L2++!@#$%&OC in their catalogue), Russian Astra SP, Omega 10005 boar, and Old Hippie's Peppermint Trip Groovy Shave Soap.

After an extended run on Dorco Primes I find I'm putting a bit more pressure on than is truly congenial with Astra SPs. (shrug) Working on technique is always in style.

Still on the fence about other blades. Constitutionally I'm not a blade tourist, but on the other hand occasionally I like to see new country. Thinking about that Treet sampler...

O.H.

IMG_0438.jpeg

So ends the first week shaving my noodle with the Henson Mild and the Treet Platinum.

On next weeks show, we will testing a new blade just to see if we can annoy @Eric_75 with another blade he dislikes.

In all seriousness, I want to thank all of you for your support and encouragement as I began my journey to a sustainable shaving routine for my head. I will also add that I see absolutely no reason to use anything other than the Mild for Head Shaving.

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

Thursday, March 21, 2024

Hardware
RazorHenson AL13+
BladeGillette Perma-Sharp [10]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PreStirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherCanada Shaving Soap [5]
PostThayer's Lavender
Clubman Citrus Musk

Rating
6 / 10

Notes
The Henson continues to perform admirably, as does the Perma-Sharp. I've dialed in the CSS lather, now, and it makes for very smooth sailing.

Taking some marks off, here, for one key annoyance with the Henson: I've got a mole on the side of my head, and no matter what I do (angle, touch, approach) it seems the Henson either can't shave over it at all, or cuts it up. Feels like I'm heading for mole removal by a thousand cuts. Seems to be something in the design of the Henson, as I don't have the same problem with my other razors (e.g., EJ DE89).

Top Bottom