What's new

Have To Take a Couple Days Off

So just a quick re-cap of my brief shaving history to preface this. I started DE shaving back in January. I eased into things with a Merkur 34c, Proraso Green in a tub (and a few other soaps), Clubman, a badger brush, and a blade sample pack. Maybe a few other things...can't remember.

I have had great success so far with a few mis-steps. I got cocky early with a Feather and shaved my face off. I tried a tech and over-compensated for its mildness with too much pressure...lesson learned. I've been bitten by RAD, ASAD, and AD's with soaps and creams alike. I've also acquired several other sample packs of blades. I've had great shaves. I've had not-so-great shaves, and I am really starting to figure out what works for me and what doesn't. And what doesn't will inevitably end up in a few PIF's in the not-so-distant future.

So here's my conundrum: I have been switching around from blade to blade to see what I like and what I don't. GSB's, Astra SP, Polsilver SI, Crystals, Personna Reds all have been great. I always start a new blade in my HD because that was my first razor and I use it as my benchmark. Then I move them around to my SS's, adjustables, and my Frankenrazor "new" (a New with a ball end handle).

I have a few I haven't tried so mid-week last week I was looking through my blade selection and decided on a Lab Blue. Into the trusty HD it went. This blade instantly turned me from a Stubble Assassin to a Dermis Destroyer in 3 passes. Yes, I toughed it out through 3 passes with this damn thing. I hardly ever get weepers, but I had them on both sides of my neck, above my lip, and on my CHEEKS! I have NEVER, in my 28 years of shaving, EVER had a nick on my cheek.

I thought, OK...sharp blade...first time...moderately aggressive razor...bad technique...whatever. After my a/s routine of alum, cold water, and a/s splash (which burned like hell). My face felt ok after dry-down. After a day off...I tried again.

This time I went through my normal shower prep of hot shower with KMF unscented lathered with a Semogue 1305 while soaping up. I felt a pretty nasty sting. This typically works like a champ, btw. rinse. towel off. Grabbed my silvertip badger that had been soaking and went to rub a shave stick on my two day stubble. More sting. I loaded the Lab in my black handled SS because I thought a mild razor would help. Not so much. Same experience. I concentrated both times on technique, but still had my most irritating shaves ever.

The next day I happened to get an order in the mail of a stick of D.R. Harris Arlington and GFT Coconut cream, along with a bottle of Speick splash. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to try my new stuff. :drool: Big mistake.The GFT felt great and smelled incredible.(Thanks for another great suggestion, Turtle!) I used my standard rig for trying new product this time: 34c w/ a fresh Astra SP.

When I was finished my face was broken out worse than it has ever been. I don't know if I got a bad Lab Blue, if my face just can't deal with that particular blade, or what it was. Since my face and neck were in such bad shape, I scrubbed all 6 of my regular rotation shavers and soaked them in Barbicide. I threw all of my blades that I had in rotation away and cleaned all 3 of my brushes and sanitized them. :cursing:

SO!!! Now all of my gear is sparkly and shiny and freshly sanitized. My brushes are fresh and ready to go...two new great pieces of software...and now I have to wait for my stupid face to heal. :mad1::mad5::mad2:

Anyway...sorry for the long-winded rant. Had to vent. Carry on.

Top Bottom