What's new

Haslinger Schalfmilch vs. MWF

I actually don't like the scent of either (if we're talking about MWF and Schalfmilch, some other Haslingers are better). MWF worked fine for me, even in my hard water, but I prefer the lathering and overall performance of Haslinger.

MWF scent is amazing, soapy and a touch powdery with maybe just a hint of citrus, very clean and fresh. Haslinger Schafmilch is a dull, drab flowery scent that I don't really care for. But performance trumps scent for me. From what I recall, the Aloe soap performed just as well as Schafmilch with a slightly better scent.

I currently have 58 containers of different soap/cream/croaps, some are samples and some I've not tried yet.

I finally had a chance to try my first puck of HS last night. I was extremely impressed with the quality of lather it made, the slickness, cushion, time to whip it, scent and overall feel on my face, so I give it 4.9 out of 5 stars. I'm sure that I'm missing certain other aspects of it and the only reason I did not give it all 5 starts is because the post feel did not last long.

Since this post is a "versus MWF" and prior to trying HS, MWF was my #1 go to winner with also a 4.9 of 5 rating, it's a tough call for me to make on which soap is better but I give it to MWF by a hair and the ONLY reason is for it's long lasting post feeling it leaves on my face for almost a full work day. (Oh and my tap water is slightly on the hard side at ~7.4pH with about 390TDS and I have no issues with any of my soaps)

BTW, my #3 spot is given to Martin De Candre, to those wondering.

Haslinger, and it’s not even close.

I have a puck of mwf that’s been unused since I gave up on it.

MWF:

Is expensive
Has a breakable container that is too big for the soap
Depends on exogenous factors such as the weather, who won the last football game, to decide whether it feels like lathering properly
Even when it does lather properly, it is an underwhelming lather
Leaves a gross tacky skinfeel
Collaborates with the enemy

Contrast this with Haslinger:

Can take as much water as you can throw at it. Lathers better and better each shave. It doesn’t care if you give it a lot or a little water.
Is cheap
Mildly scented so it doesn’t clash with aftershave
Is made by one dude
Conditions the skin so well you don’t really need aftershave
No frilly nonsense container

I haven't used Haslinger yet, and I would love to but it always seems to be out of stock at IB -- small wonder! However, to say MFW is expensive vs Haslinger is rather odd since 125g of MWF is about $3 more than a 60g puck of Haslinger which means Haslinger is getting close to twice the cost of MWF in actual fact. Also, I've never had an issue with lathering MFW but I know some do, but a lot of people have trouble with a lot of soaps that others have no issue with so that's not the best gauge of performance.

The trick with Haslinger is to buy in bulk overseas. TVB Shaving has them for 3.62 euros per puck. Use a coupon code to knock off 10%. With shipping you can get five pucks for $27.21 or about $5.44 per puck.

Haslinger is slicker and has better skin care and post feel.
The MWF is not bad at those departments but Haslinger is just better.

MWF is also a bit "fussy" with the water ratio, compared to Haslinger.
The weakest point of Haslinger is that the scent is very weak. But again, I don't care much for MWF's scent. It smells like lanolin. On some forum a while ago a cerakn chap asked for a recommendation for a soap that smells like motor oil and I think MWF would have been right up his alley.

This person is either joking or a flaming shill.

Pay no attention.
I wasn't impressed with MWF either, love Haslinger and agree with [MENTION=36467]vtmax[/MENTION] post.

Am I a Flamming Schill too? If so, ignore this post and any others of mine....most people do anyway [emoji12]

Last edited:
Which do you think is better and why?

For me they're both producers of great lather (I'm a 'died in the wool' MWF fan - haha). Sadly, Schafmilch has an unknown ingredient that lights up my face something fierce [emoji53]

I tried it nine ways from none and always the irritation.

For me they're both producers of great lather (I'm a 'died in the wool' MWF fan - haha). Sadly, Schafmilch has an unknown ingredient that lights up my face something fierce [emoji53]

I tried it nine ways from none and always the irritation.

Have you tried several scents? I noticed that they use a lot of fragrances that are listed as known or suspected allergens. Since each scent uses different fragrances you may have tried the wrong one for you. I just ordered sage because it looked to me like it had the fewest suspect compounds. I haven't received it yet but I'm hoping that I get lucky.

Have you tried several scents? I noticed that they use a lot of fragrances that are listed as known or suspected allergens. Since each scent uses different fragrances you may have tried the wrong one for you. I just ordered sage because it looked to me like it had the fewest suspect compounds. I haven't received it yet but I'm hoping that I get lucky.

I didn't know Schafmilch came in other scents. I'm sure it's likely the fragrance, but in fairness I have more soaps than I know what to do with and need to 3017 a bunch of pucks!

MWF over HS. From packaging to longevity and cost. Haslinger is I think $10 here in the USA for 60grams. MWF costs like $12 to $15 for a refill puck and has I think twice the amount of HS. MWF has nice packaging while HS looks very basic. MWF has great post shave feel. I get a bunch of lather every time I use it and have lots left over. None of this happens with HS. MWF has been around for many years. MWF seems like it lasts forever because it seems like no dent has been made. At least in my case.

. MWF has been around for many years...

How long has Haslinger been around? Haslinger isn't a new kid on the block.

Not that it matters with these two. Both have a proven history and tradition in soaps from what I know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom