What's new

Hair On the Dog that bit me.

Alternatively titled "I've made a huge mistake." :scared:

Part the first:
After about 4 months of DE shaves with my EJ and feather blades, I couldn't help but want to try a straight. After some reading, all signs pointed to WhippedDog for a blade. I emailed him, and received outstanding service. His communication was very prompt (on the weekend no less!) and quite helpful. I ended up with a sight unseen razor and the poor mans strop kit. Some impatient waiting, but the kit arrived today. (I was a little school-girlish when opening, to be honest). The packaging, helpful instructions, little 'extra's were all very impressive. I would never recommend anything but WhippedDog after receiving such an excellent blade and kit.

Part the second:
I took a shower, washed my face, made some good Tabac soap lather. (I've been watching videos on straight razor techniques techniques for many days, I should note.) I felt like I was using a whisk to play 'Operation'. The first side of my face went blood free, then the left came. This felt.. ridiculously unstable. I was already having a lot of trouble getting a stable grip on the steel with the right hand and the left was worse. I ended up with about a half dozen cuts, some long some short. All bleeders! Even a good Picasso impersonation on my ear.

I only made WTG passes. Well, I only went WTG when I could figure out how the hell to hold it to make it go WTG. The adam's apple and the sides of my neck were terribly difficult, as was beneath the jaw line. I just couldn't plot out good strokes.

Worsening my situation was the fact that I couldn't keep the razor balanced. The scales kept wanting to pull the angle off to one side.

Worsening even further was my inability to keep the blade from 'hopping' on my face, or dead-ending when the stroke met a new angle and ended up in my flesh. Hopping is a total non-issue with the heavy head of a DE razor.

Summing my problems:
1) Finding how to make a good stroke in tight places
2) Learning how to make it feel 'balanced'
3) Learning how to control the blade so it doesn't hop around my face

I currently have a not-so-smooth face that feels as if it has been a victim of badger attack. I actually can't smile right now due to a lip cut, hahaha. SOOO... overall, a somewhat demoralizing and disappointing first shave (and far worse than my first DE shave).

I shall persevere, but it will be several days before I give it another go. Any tips, words of wisdom, and encouragement that a BBS shave is indeed possible with such a terrible baseline, would be greatly appreciated!

With such a bad start it can only get better? Just kidding. My tips are:

1.Wetter lather than you're used to with a DE

2. Take your time, and don't shave if you don't have the time.

3. Stay with it, it will soon be much better.

4. Think about angles and ways of holding your razor also when you're not shaving.

All excellent suggestions from Gissy. I would only add to that something that took me 13 shaves with some similar results as to what you had to figure out. Skin stretching. While you're DE shaving practice it. Your skin should be stretched almost more than you think it should. If I can get that lesson into my thick head anyone can get it. It will get better with practice. If your scales are a little lose try some different grips that will keep it all in place. Rockviper's shave journal page 18 post 353 has some good tips as does the wiki here. You can also practice the grips with a butter knife to get more comfortable, just don't let anyone catch you because they might look at your weird.

Could've been worst, you could've done a Van Gogh instead of a Picasso! ;)

Don't worry it'll come, and also, try not to push things. The worst shaves I had were usually a series of cuts one after another. Some days are just bad and you're better to stop and live to fight another day.

Thanks folks. I will try the butterknife thing and work on stretching the skin. The wetter lather thing is counter-intuitive, I'll try that too.

Does the 'hopping' mean anything in particular? And if it feels like it's tugging the hair a bit, is it not sharp enough?

If you got your razor from Larry it should be shave ready and sharp. More likely your angles were off. You should have the spine as close to your face as possible and then angle up just enough to be cutting your whiskers. I can't emphasize that enough. Most beginners (myself included) use a way too steep angle on the blade to start. Try for 10 to 15 degrees at the most. Also, the skin stretching suggested by Jeff can't be emphasized enough. Very, very necessary. Not just for comfort but to avoid nasty cuts too. Don't ask me how I know that... :001_tongu

Last edited:
Wow...just tried another shave after giving my face a few days to cool off. Aside from being the worst shave ever in terms of beard control, I really got bit a few times to an almost scary depth. Shaving is fun and games until you leave scars...

I'm gonna sleep on it, but my straight razor kit may be hitting the exchange this week. I cant be going to work with new gills every week.

Straights are not for everyone - but with some caution and tecnique (along with a healthy respect for the edge) I believe most people can manage one easily enough.

Pulling skin is critical.
So is blade angle - blade angle is managed with the grip you're using so maybe that needs some looking in to?

Slowness in approach to the event - and a complete understanding of the blades movement from start to finish for every single stroke should keep you from cutting yourself.
Another issue a lot of people new to straights overlook is lather density.
If the lather is too thick then you're in for trouble - the blade has to be able to glide effortlessly. If it gets sucked down by pasty lather then you may try to overcompensate by rasing the angle up too high = slice/gouge/gash.

Try shaving small portions of your face instead of trying to 'shave' - only work on spots where you can get a good flat surface to shave.
You need to iron out the basics - curves and stuff can wait till later - first things first.

Straights are not for everyone - but with some caution and tecnique (along with a healthy respect for the edge) I believe most people can manage one easily enough.

Pulling skin is critical.
So is blade angle - blade angle is managed with the grip you're using so maybe that needs some looking in to?

Slowness in approach to the event - and a complete understanding of the blades movement from start to finish for every single stroke should keep you from cutting yourself.
Another issue a lot of people new to straights overlook is lather density.
If the lather is too thick then you're in for trouble - the blade has to be able to glide effortlessly. If it gets sucked down by pasty lather then you may try to overcompensate by rasing the angle up too high = slice/gouge/gash.

Try shaving small portions of your face instead of trying to 'shave' - only work on spots where you can get a good flat surface to shave.
You need to iron out the basics - curves and stuff can wait till later - first things first.

Absolutely excellent advice here...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I once read some advice on this forum to think of brushing the whiskers from the face with the razor and indeed that mental picture is pretty close to the mark.

On the neck you may not be able to get true WTG. Just go as close as practical to the direction of growth. NS or SN are usually pretty easy. EW or WE can be tough.

Blood is a good teacher and you gave yourself a thorough first lesson. Keep at it. Few get it right the first time or even the first dozen times. Follow the advice you have been given on stretching and blade angle. Try using both hands and try using just one hand. Either way is good but you might find one works better than the other for you. Good luck and Happy Shaves.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
YMMV IMO etc...:biggrin: but-The blade will only cut flesh if you are mashing the edge into your face, or if you are moving the blade across your face with a slicing movement similar to grandpaw carving the Christmas Turkey:smile: If you keep pressure very light, and move the razor at absolute right angles to the edge you will be fine.My way to accomplish the above was to lock my wrist joint and move the whole arm in one motion to maintain perpendicular movement. Also begin your stroke immediately the moment the blade touches your skin. The natural shaking of the hands can move the blade enough to cut if you leave the blade on you face too long.

Top Bottom