What's new

Grits or Polenta?

I don't begrudge anyone else liking them.
In fact, I'm a little in awe of those who have the intestinal fortitude to enjoy them.
My mom was born in Georgia, and was raised there and in South Carolina, so she knew the ins and outs of Southern Cooking.
My Dad was from Southern Illinois, which is actually more southern than some states south of that area, so we had southern cooking as I grew up.
Just could never accept Grits.
We can agree that southern Illinois contains some true-blue country folks even if we will not agree concerning the merits of grits...

Grits are good for breakfast, lunch, supper, or snack. Good on their own or with butter, eggs, bacon, ham, refried beans or a host of other complimentary foods. Grits is good eatin'... There is a Dr. Seuss style poem in there somewhere. I just lack the time to find it...

Conversation. Michael Jackson and Muhammad Ali together in 1977. Ali joked with Michael: “You got to float like a butterfly part down brother Michael, but before you can sting people out of their wits, you gotta put on some meat and keep on eating your grits."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Conversation. Michael Jackson and Muhammad Ali together in 1977. Ali joked with Michael: “You got to float like a butterfly part down brother Michael, but before you can sting people out of their wits, you gotta put on some meat and keep on eating your grits."
People eat grits, they die.
Just sayin'...

:lol1:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I don't begrudge anyone else liking them.

You gonna eat them grits? No? Slide 'em over here...

My Dad was from Southern Illinois, which is actually more southern than some states south of that area

True fact. Even if you don't have the grits they do know how to make breakfast. I remember a breakfast at a little place near where a bunch of us gathered for a little week-long party a few years ago. The porkchop came on a separate plate because the sausages, eggs and biscuits'n'gravy took up all of one platter. Alongside the porkchop was some fried apples, and a second cup of gravy just in case one wanted to improve on the cook's excesses.

After eating all that I waddled out to the parking lot where I had enough mass for once to crank up a high-compression Shovelhead with just one kick. What a load of food.

O.H.

Exhibit A: Tonight's dinner...

Warning: May not be suitable for viewers with underdeveloped taste...

1709164471134.png

Never heard of Polenta. But why do I suspect it is popular with people who listen to National Public Radio?

Mea culpa...I listen to National Public Radio. On the weekends, when AM talk radio suddenly thinks I want to listen to gardening shows, divorce lawyers, and retirement planning!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This house makes and enjoys both polenta and grits and fixes them many ways. I could eat a pretty big bowl of grits loaded with goat cheese and Hatch chilis. Grits and scrapple with maple syrup is pretty fine for breakfast. As for polenta, I like it soft and on a soup plate with something that has a hearty sauce like veal of pork chop Marsala. On day two the leftovers are firm, fried, and topped with hot sandwich toppings like cheesesteak, meatballs, or sausages; all the hot sandwiches that are good on hot Italian rolls work just as well on polenta.

CPT & Dave:
attachment.php
'Bingo' (on both counts)! :thumbsup:

It's also been a long, long while since I last made polenta. :001_rolle

In our house, I like to sauté a little minced red onion and minced garlic. I add about 1 quart chicken stock. Heat to boil and add 1 cup yellow (I like the color...although some use white), fine (some use medium or coarse, but using fine will be 'lighter' than the other ground methods), hominy cornmeal while continually whisking.

Lower heat to simmer and whisk about every five (5), minutes until creamy and light (about 30 minutes).

Remove from heat, add unsalted butter (1 tbsp), sea salt, cracked pepper ( to taste), and fresh grated parmesan (hmmm...say 3oz).

Yield: Approx 6-8 servings.

Then, I pour the polenta ("Polenta? Oh, you mean Italian grits." Unknown), into a pan (I use a deep cake pan lined with parchment paper), and refrig until firmly set.

Then I use a cookie cutter to cut out triangle shapes, (gently now...gently), lightly bread (flour, egg, milk, fine bread crumbs), and fry or just brush with olive oil and sauté both sides. :w00t:

[FONT=&amp]Bon Appétit[/FONT]

proxy.php
"Polenta is like food for the brain. [...]". Peter Davies
Now that's a recipe! What time is dinner? I'm more than happy to the dishes and I'll bring my own bowl and spoon.

I've had the great joy of living with and next door to immigrant Croatians: awesome family. My friend would make polenta. The first she bought what she usually obtained and dinner was amazing.

I have a couple of grain mills for grinding flour. One of my mills does really well grinding corn for either of the foregoing in this discussion. Using organically grown dent corn, I'd grind a meal to whatever consistency moved me in the moment and 2 hours later we were having fresh ground polenta under some lovely venison stew or a swordfish head stew, replete with homemade wine and rakia (grappa).

I've made this on my own as well and have added to the pot, butter, fontina, parmesean, and pecorino. This might find itself under some sort of slow roasted chicken and veg or venison stew.

My favorite way of making/eating polenta is to prep it a tad loose so it's more like porridge and the top it with whatever moves me. The last time I made this was for a chef friend of mine and we went vegetarian (shallots, onions, garlic, squash and mushrooms.) I don't recall the wine I brought, but it was red, lush and worked well with dinner. Her contribution was sharing a bottle of Macallen 18 y.o. Single Malt... It was something of an epic dinner.

Top Bottom