What's new

Grits or Polenta?

Been a while since we made polenta but it usually has a pretty good quantity of cheese, say Parmigiano-Reggiano in it.

dave

It's hominy corn meal, one yellow and one white. Polenta is generally finer and is cooked with stock and often milk. Grits are coarser and made with water.

This. For me, they taste different. When my mother made polenta she made it thicker than grits and served it with a tomato sauce on top of it. Also, as I recall they are made from different kinds of corn.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
It's hominy corn meal, one yellow and one white. Polenta is generally finer and is cooked with stock and often milk. Grits are coarser and made with water.

Been a while since we made polenta but it usually has a pretty good quantity of cheese, say Parmigiano-Reggiano in it.

dave
CPT & Dave:
attachment.php
'Bingo' (on both counts)! :thumbsup:

It's also been a long, long while since I last made polenta. :001_rolle

In our house, I like to sauté a little minced red onion and minced garlic. I add about 1 quart chicken stock. Heat to boil and add 1 cup yellow (I like the color...although some use white), fine (some use medium or coarse, but using fine will be 'lighter' than the other ground methods), hominy cornmeal while continually whisking.

Lower heat to simmer and whisk about every five (5), minutes until creamy and light (about 30 minutes).

Remove from heat, add unsalted butter (1 tbsp), sea salt, cracked pepper ( to taste), and fresh grated parmesan (hmmm...say 3oz).

Yield: Approx 6-8 servings.

Then, I pour the polenta ("Polenta? Oh, you mean Italian grits." Unknown), into a pan (I use a deep cake pan lined with parchment paper), and refrig until firmly set.

Then I use a cookie cutter to cut out triangle shapes, (gently now...gently), lightly bread (flour, egg, milk, fine bread crumbs), and fry or just brush with olive oil and sauté both sides. :w00t:

[FONT=&amp]Bon Appétit[/FONT]

proxy.php
"Polenta is like food for the brain. [...]". Peter Davies

I like both, although grits are a rare thing up here in New England.

Polenta is much more common here. I've also seen polenta cooked in a loaf pan, sliced and fried. That's good eating, too.

Love them both, though I could not perceive the shades of difference until reading this thread.

Low country shrimp 'n' grits may be the single greatest breakfast in creation.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
They are different animals. Sure, they're related--cousins, really--but they are different. It's only the typical, sad, U.S. sort of marketing that has blurred the distinction. Even still, don't tell me you wouldn't be taken aback for a moment if you ordered one and got the other. The main distinction, beyond some cultural treatment, is the main ingredient.

Classical polenta is made from hard, flint corn , while grits are made from softer, dent corn. Polenta does not need to be made from hominy (alkaline treated corn) meal, but grits are. There is no classic distinction between "grits" and "hominy grits"; that's a very, VERY modern development. The yellow/white corn distinction isn't so important, as plenty of pots of yellow grits have been made over the ages. You made grits with what corn you had, and some grits-making areas grew yellow corn.

Both can include other ingredients, but adding something other than salt, pepper, and/or butter to grits is something that really only occurred in one or two small regions and has now caught on all over the place. Don't get me wrong, now. I have nothing at all against adding all sorts of other goodies to grits, but (for the most part) it's a relatively modern development.

They are different animals. Sure, they're related--cousins, really--but they are different. It's only the typical, sad, U.S. sort of marketing that has blurred the distinction. Even still, don't tell me you wouldn't be taken aback for a moment if you ordered one and got the other. The main distinction, beyond some cultural treatment, is the main ingredient.

Classical polenta is made from hard, flint corn , while grits are made from softer, dent corn. Polenta does not need to be made from hominy (alkaline treated corn) meal, but grits are. There is no classic distinction between "grits" and "hominy grits"; that's a very, VERY modern development. The yellow/white corn distinction isn't so important, as plenty of pots of yellow grits have been made over the ages. You made grits with what corn you had, and some grits-making areas grew yellow corn.

Both can include other ingredients, but adding something other than salt, pepper, and/or butter to grits is something that really only occurred in one or two small regions and has now caught on all over the place. Don't get me wrong, now. I have nothing at all against adding all sorts of other goodies to grits, but (for the most part) it's a relatively modern development.

Well said. I can't think of anything else to add.

Top Bottom