What's new

Grip's Journal (and so it has begun....)

what leather strop are you using?

Hey Jon. If you were asking me, I am using a Big Daddy strop from StarShaving (3" English Bridle in chestnut). My results have improved alot now that I pay proper attention to my return stroke. Blade is staying sharper longer now. Like I said, I think people get into the trap of: No nicks + fast = good stropping. That is not true if the contact needed for good results isn't also there.

Hey Jon. If you were asking me, I am using a Big Daddy strop from StarShaving (3" English Bridle in chestnut). My results have improved alot now that I pay proper attention to my return stroke. Blade is staying sharper longer now. Like I said, I think people get into the trap of: No nicks + fast = good stropping. That is not true if the contact needed for good results isn't also there.

def'ly contact is needed... i noticed my return stroke sounded different then the away to me stroke.. the return made a bit of noise...

i have the big momma strop and it seemed to dry out a bit.. it was very fast and felt pretty hard (relatively).. it seemed a much nicer experience with a bit of oil... washing my palm over the strop did nothing..

It has been quite a while since my last update. I have at some point crossed the 100 shave mark. I thought when I started that the mark would be a big deal. It is, but not as much as just continuing to improve my technique. I still will use a DE if time is very short, or my one lone Whipped Dog needs a touch-up and I don't have the time to do that.

I have been using lapping film and getting great results. I have found that I need a very keen edge to deal with my very course whiskers. I have, however, always known that I wanted to try a coti. I have also known that as a beginner paying more, for more area on a coti would be to my advantage. So I saved up and just received, yesterday my first coti. A 200 x 75 mm La Verte. I went with a harder coti because they are suppossed to give "crisper" edges. As I have said, my wire whiskers need crisp. She is not a yellow-pink beauty but a grey-green finisher.
View attachment 271700

I did not have much time last night but my WD needed a touch-up so I built a slurry (thinner and harder to do than I expected) and started honing. Here is the progression I tried:

~20 Laps => dilute (3 drops off my fingers)
etc. for 5 laps/dilutions

Then 20-30 laps on just water.

I diluted when I could see the slurry start to go over the edge of the razor. On just water there was little to no auto-slurry of the coti.

I stropped it and was getting HHT3.

I'll have to give it the shave test tonight.

View attachment 271702View attachment 271703

I will now use my shaving funds to get some more razors to use this coti on. Time to move past my "one-day" set.

Beautiful La Verte ...good choice!

Pleased to hear that you have acquired a coti. You indicated that you have wanted one some time ago, and I admire your patience and perseverance in saving the funds to by a nice one.
Let us know how your shave with your first coti edge went!

Thank you gentlemen. I am looking forward to learning the ins-and-outs of this stone.

My wife is on the "use the credit card now" program. I just put what I can into my Paypal account every paycheck. I build my savings while deciding what I want. When the stars align I pull the trigger. No interest to pay, no debt. Ohhhh if only I could get her to see the light.

I'l be updating more often, now that I'll have some new stuff to add.

Well I had the shave-test last night. Now I had shaved in the morning with a DE (in a big rush) so I did not have a full-days growth. However, the edge was very keen. Not quite as keen as I would like it but more than keen enough to do the job. Some areas it felt like it might want to catch but didn't (hard to explain). I did notice what you coti fans are talking about with the smoothness. Very hard to describe, but I would say a "friendly" edge from the coti that wasn't there with lapping film.

Now my razor only needed a touch-up so I should not pat-my-back yet. I still need to figure out the stone on some blades that really need some work. This La Verte seems right now as advertised: slow but predictable progression leading to a very keen edge.

To any newbie's to honing I would say two things:
1) Lapping film is a great way to get into honing. Cheap, easy to learn and easy to get great results (as long as you don't have a difficult razor to work with)
2) If you are at all interested in trying a coticule, do so. It was fun to use a natural stone. As well there is that "friendly" coti edge that is really enjoyable. It is hard to explain unless you've shaved with it. You owe it to yourself to try it.​

I got some advice from Scott on how to "brisk-up" my edge. 100 light laps rinsing the stone every 20. I did that tonight followed by 15 felt and 40 leather on the Big Daddy. It was popping hairs cleanly along the whole blade on the HHT.

Took a shower and attacked my 4 days of growth with some e-shave lavendar.

1st. Pass (WTG): Very sharp. Noticeably sharper without a hint of grabbing, even with the heavy growth. Still that same smoothness/friendliness of the coticule edge.
2nd. Pass (WTG): Whiskers not quite where I like them before my XTG so repeated the WTG. Buttery smooth except for one cut due to my mistake. I could have stopped here with a SAS.
3rd. Pass (XTG): The same; smooth and sharp.
Touch-up around chin and done
Follow-up with Thayers.

I am really, and I mean really, liking the edge I am getting off of this La Verte. I know the flavor of the day for cotis is those beautiful creamy La Grises but don't hesitate to grab their greenish brothers. They are definitely slower than film but damn, the edge is nice. My stone was a deal as well since it had spots that made it hard to sell. Those people's loss is, so far, my gain.

Update:

I recently purchased a LeGrelot Royal Canada from johnmrson after I missed an earlier one from him on e-bay. It is now my second razor so I don't have a lot to compare it to. However, I love this razor. It is a 5/8 full hollow. John finished it with a Frankonian and did a great job on the honing.

My first shave with it wiped off 3 days of growth with no tugging and a two-pass (WTG & XTG) with touch-up on the chin resulted in my usual (and desired) DFS. I can get a BBS almost everytime I try now, but have found my skin doesn't like it no matter how smooth the actual shave went. I don't have super sensitive skin but the combination of very course whiskers, some-what sensitive skin and dry Canadian prairie air make a BBS shave unpleasant afterwards. Using a lanolin based soap (right now QCS) helps but still not worth it.

Being able to do two passes with a touch-up regardless of how many days growth is something I have worked diligently at. I would love to have as much time as I would like to shave and do a nice leisurly 4-pass shave everytime. But with three kids, a full-time job, two side jobs, coaching football and other hobbies (as well as talking to the wife sometimes :wink2:) I don't always have that time. It's nice that now, unless extremely rushed, I can still have a straight shave. The combination of technique, stropping routine and edge maintainence (honing) all coming together in the past year have allowed me a level I am quite happy with. I am no expert in any area,especially compared to lots around here but feel I have attained at least a "journeyman" level as far as straights go. Very fulfilling and I have enjoyed the journey.

Here are some pics of the new razor. I have to say, LeGrelots are not over-hyped in my opinion; the shaves off it have been awesome !

$Lifting & Moving Pictures 009.jpg$Lifting & Moving Pictures 008.jpg

Left with flash, right without.

Last edited:
Congrats on the beautiful razor. I need to hone its twin. :tongue_sm
You are right about the dry air. I have also noted the change in shaves.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
nice razor. It will help out alot when you are pushed for time to hone.
Have you tried different after shave products for differnt times of the year?

Thanks guys.

It is dry here normally, however in winter the humidity level drops way down. The best stuff I've found yet for deep moisturizing and protecting without causing a breakout is Lloyd's aftershave balm from Starshaving. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

I used shaving oil today and it worked out well. I also like to use MWF and Mike's natural soaps because of their moisturizing properties.

Just placed an order for some Mike's yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying them out after reading so many positive reviews. Thanks.

Nice looking razor, and my what a big finishing stone you have there:blink:

I find that in the winter I can't go without applying some sort of a face cream about 5 minutes after my splash of choice - though, I have yet to try Mike's.

It is great to see how much progress you have made and your comments on the coti edges and lapping film. If you can find time to hone your razors besides taking care of three kids then I should too with only two kids to take care of an no substancial other hobbies. I shall stay tuned.

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I am still not quite as proficient with a straight as I am with a DE. However, straight shaving has such a higher satisfaction to it once your done. It is more pleasing to the soul on many levels.

Update:

Still enjoying the LeGrelot. Just a great razor. If you ever have a chance to pick one up you won't be disappointed.

It needed a touch-up so I pulled out the La Verte and worked up a slurry. The slurry stone that came with the stone is also obviously a La Verte as well. It takes some work to build up a slurry. I may get another slurry stone that is a little softer. Started doing my progression. ~20 laps then a dilution. It is not hard and fast at 20 as I am trying to look for the slurry/water to start riding up and over the edge before I dilute. It is tough with this hard stone to know if you are doing anything but if I dip my fingertip in the slurry there is definitely some gray from steel in there. I kept going and finished with 100 laps just water, washing it off every 20 laps.

The result wasn't quite where I wanted it but good enough. The following shave was adequate but not quite the level of keeness I like. Before the last shave I did 10 laps on balsa with CrOx and it got it to where I like it.

Last nights shave was with this CrOx edge and my first kick at Mike's Natural soap. Bay Rum in the tin and I also got an Unscented shave stick to try out some face-lathering. Now the only other tallow soap (and only other Bay Rum) that I have tried is QCS Cayman. So my evaluation of Mike's should be taken with that in mind. I did my usual strop, soak brush in scuttle, thin film of hot water on soap, then shower.

The scent is different from QCS but just as nice; a little subtler (not a bad or good thing). This soap lathers as easily as any soap I have ever tried. I had to watch I didn't load too much on my brush rather than working hard to get it to load. The lather whipped up quick and I had enough for a ten-pass shave. This is hands-down the BEST performing soap I have ever used. I can see what people are talking about. More slickness and cushion than any other even with the thinner lather I use with a straight. Just awesome. Face felt great after.

If you have not tried this soap you are truly doing yourself a disservice. The price is great and it's performance outstanding. Very pleased.

Great shave overall other than one too aggressive sliding stroke that left a cut. Otherwise one of my most enjoyable shaves. Good edge and great soap and your more than half way there.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Good stuff Grips. just tried my first Mike's soap too, nice soap
A great straight shave is about getting all the little things right at the same time.

Update:
I recently purchased a LeGrelot Royal Canada ...I have to say, LeGrelots are not over-hyped in my opinion; the shaves off it have been awesome !

Grips-

hype is an interesting topic... one that probably has so many facets, it's difficult to discuss without frustration... what razors haven't lived up to the hype for you?

nice razor by the way...

-jon

Top Bottom