What's new

Graying Beard Questions

I’m afraid I can’t be much help. My red beard went directly to white with never any gray. I never noticed any difference in the rate of growth. It did seem to change more rapidly around the mouth than on the sides.
Jack

Hi All! Coming back to this thread after some time experimenting. For me, the gray hairs seem to “pop out” after i wash my beard. So, after a shower, I oil & brush it and let it fully dry without touching it or brushing it again. At this point the grays are mostly sticking out of my regular beard hair. I then adjust a trimmer to cut just above the rest of my beard and trim with the grain. Evens it out and keeps the gray hairs, which i like the look of, but at an even length. So, same procedure I often use for trimming, but the timing and waiting for the gray hairs to “pop out” seems to be the key for me.

Thanks for all the tips on here.

I am 50 and have had a white beard, mustache or goatee since I was about 40, kept it really short in summer and let it go all winter for the same reason as many here. The hair is coarse and all all over the place. I hate beard oil, too messy and I like to work outside, and I hunt every day I can in the winter so that scent will not work. I found 2 products the last year that have been a game changer. Every Man Jack beard butter and Cremo Beard & scruff conditioner. Neither have strong smell or leave residue. I enjoy how my beard feels soft again like when it had color 😂.

The crazy part of the story is I have a head full of thick black hair, no dyes or product, all DNA. My mothers father had a grey beard and red hair when he died at 80. I get accused of using “just for men” all the time. I started to grey in my mustache and chin in my 20s. Completely white at 40. Odd looking for sure, but I embrace it. We all hold on to what youth we can.
IMG_1422.jpeg

Hi All! Coming back to this thread after some time experimenting. For me, the gray hairs seem to “pop out” after i wash my beard. So, after a shower, I oil & brush it and let it fully dry without touching it or brushing it again. At this point the grays are mostly sticking out of my regular beard hair. I then adjust a trimmer to cut just above the rest of my beard and trim with the grain. Evens it out and keeps the gray hairs, which i like the look of, but at an even length. So, same procedure I often use for trimming, but the timing and waiting for the gray hairs to “pop out” seems to be the key for me.

Thanks for all the tips on here.
In having a long beard for some time I would recommend after the shower apply beard oil when your beard is damp to semi wet and use a hair dryer (this straightens and calms everything down)

I use mustache wax on the mustache and beard (just a little goatee type thing going on). It keeps the unruly hairs in place and most of the ones I own smell pretty good.

In having a long beard for some time I would recommend after the shower apply beard oil when your beard is damp to semi wet and use a hair dryer (this straightens and calms everything down)
Hmmm. That sounds like a good idea! I am going to try that. I need to research what gray hair is, as it's soooo different than the old, younger-me hair. 😅

I have actually been using straight beard/hair wax (Urban Nomad) with good results. Just a little bit for my hair and the excess on my beard seems to work well to keep things calm. Beard balm does nothing for me, unfortunately. Curse my Irish/British/Swedish/Norwegian curly red beard hairs...

Top Bottom