What's new

Got an order of more QCS creams the other day...

I've been using a tub of the QCS Mysore Sandalwood for the last few months (it's about 2/3 gone now) and it has become my #1, absolute go-to product, hands down, over everything else I have tried. In fact, I have either PIF's or sold off almost everything else after a recent attempt to give other products a shot because I wanted more variety as far as scents, but none of them (except for the GFT coconut oil cream) has even come close. My problem with QCS in the past has been with some of the scents that I just have not be a fan of, but my preferences for scents have changed a bit and have sort of broadened my horizons so to speak regarding scents since I started using a DE and brush about 8 months ago.

I placed an order with QCS and two other soap makers who get a lot of love on here, all small-batch, mom and pop artisans. I have to say, after receiving products from all three soap makers, QCS is still my absolute, hands down favorite.

I'm have found that I prefer soaps and creams scented with EO over FO. EO is more natural smelling to me (duh!), and tend to be more mild, will not hang around as much post-shave and clash with ay products you may decide to use afterward compared to some products I've been trying out that are scented with FO. Also, the products I've tried with FO tend to be more feminine, overpowering and lingering scents, which is not my thing.

I ordered the following scents and here are my impressions of them as far as scent. When lathered correctly, they all produce very slick and protective lather.

Hanami: This was the one I decided to take a chance on, and it paid off, because it is one of my new favorites. Just smelling it in the tub it is a very clean, fresh, almost fruit-punchy and sweet but dry scent, but once lathered and applied it really is not sweet like a candy-like sweet, but more like fresh cherry blossoms, and just like it's described on the QCS site, literally reminds me of a nice, crisp, spring day. The difference with this cream compared to other fruity, floral scents is that it is scented only with EO, not FO, which, to me at least, results in it not being overbearing and feminine and it does not linger around like a lot of floral products scented with FO. This stuff rocks.

Cayman: I received a small sample of this a long time ago when I ordered a QCS sampler, and recently re-discovered it, lathered it up and had a wonderful shave with it. Predominant scent here is cloves, which has never been something I am really into, but really just enjoyed this scent so decided to give it a go. It's QCS version of a bay rum scent, and I guess all of us need a bay rum scent in our rotation, so I pulled the trigger on this one. Not disappointed with it one bit. Seems like a great winter and fall scent.

Green Irish Tweed Type: Can't really say what hasn't been said about it. Light, fresh, clean scent. Classy.

Vostok: Everyone knows what this is and what it does, and it does it better than any other product of it's kind out there. In all honesty though, it is my least favorite of them all, but I am not necessarily disappointed with it. I get up at 5am for work, and was draggin the other day, so I decided to try out the Vostok. Total wake up call with this one, and had my full attention, and yes, I was awake once I lathered it up! However, it was almost too much to handle. My face was freezing, and the menthol was so strong I found myself almost squinting while I was shaving because it was so potent. But if this is your thing and what you like, consider your search over and do yourself a favor and pick this one up. There's nothing else like it. The scent is similar to peppermint candy canes and is a bit sweet.

All in all I am very pleased with these creams, and although it produced a kick *** lather, I may sell, trade or PIF the Vostok simply because it's a bit too strong for me. Apparently I am not man enough to handle to iceberg chill of the Vostok, or I've just become a pu$$y and have been living is Southern California too long! That, and I am moving to the bay area in a week, and an not anticipating much use from the Vostok while living up there!).

Here's is the awesome lather I got from the Hanami this morning:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I just got the Vostok AS balm from them and I love it!!! If your thinking of PIF'n please count me in! I'm new to QCS but so far I'm impressed!!! I'd even pay for shipping... Thanks for the write up.. Thinking about ordering a cream or two from them.

Glad that your enjoying your new QCS creams!

I have two of the three that you mentioned -Hanami and Cayman- (as well as many others) and I really enjoy them. I haven't tried Vostok, but I do have Iced Key Lime, which is the QCS Key Lime w/the menthol crystals as in Vostok. My skin nearly feels numb when I use it, but I like it on hot days. Hanami is one of my favorites -your observations on it like being under a blossoming cherry tree in spring is spot on. There is a slight green component there too, like green tea? For me, every Friday is Cayman day, and i look forward to it. I pair it up with Captain's Choice Bay Rum A/S which complements Cayman very well, I think. I have been using very little else other than my QCS creams since last winter, there that good!

Your picture makes me want to pull the trigger on Hanami - I've been eyeballing it for a long time. I love Monaco and use it weekly. Vostok I reserve for truly humid mornings.

Top Bottom