What's new

Good shoes/boots for retail work?

For your use case, i'd recommend Mephisto comfort shoes - specifically their match model - click on the black version, which is what you'll be interested in. Also, take note of the fact that there are 87 reviews with an average of 5 stars. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a site that doesn't have overwhelmingly positive reviews of Mephisto Match. Check them out on Amazon (100+ reviews) as they're under $300. I think with a little googling, you can likely find a better deal. My father is a big time Mephisto fan, and he gets most of his on eBay - and has had good luck finding new pairs for under $200, and in some instances under $100.

Over a decade ago I used to wear Mephisto Matches when I spent 8+ hours a day on my feet and walked about 5-6 miles (round trip) to and from class. Foot, knee, leg and back pain were non-existent. If I needed to spend extended hours on my feet again, Mephisto is the first, and last place i'd look.

Hope this helps.

I second the Mephistos. They are great shoes. Mephisto will refurbish them for a about $90 and you will think you have brand new shoes!

I've been in retail for 16 years. My go to shoes are Ecco, I usually put a pair of superfeet insoles in them. I use and abuse my shoes like you. They will usually last me 5-6 years. On my feet 8-12 a day.

I am on my feet 8-10 hrs a day and wear Ecco on a daily basis. The last pair I had lasted 4 years and the only reason I bought new shoes is that I have dye and pigment on them from the lab I work in. I also second the superfeet insoles.

My feet never hurt at the end of the day and I just recovered from a fracture that was rather difficult to heal. I have other work shoes, but after the fracture I can't wear anything else without pain.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I broke my back (T-7 vertebrate) in March this year. Good shoes are more important than ever now.

Years ago, when I worked retail I bought a plain black pair of low Doc Martens. They can be a bit tough to break in, but once they are adjusted they can be very comfortable all day. Of course, this was almost 20 years ago and I don't know what the quality or build on the Docs are now.

First off I would like to hear what Redwing is going to do for you (if anything) concerning your existing shoes. Knowing how a company stands behind its product is always good to know.
The first recommendation would be to buy another pair of Redwing’s. I have a pair that has lasted 14 years with light continual use. I would check on-line and see what models are available for re-soling. Get some more mileage out of them.

Second would be Blundstone boots. I just did a Bingo last night. Walking around for five hours solid. That not may seem like much to some but I work in an office and sit on my *** for nine hours a day. My feet were fine, tired, but fine after my shift. This is the make and model I was wearing.
http://www.zappos.com/blundstone-bl510-black
If you do a lot of kicking around you may want to try the chunk sole model
http://www.softmoc.com/ca/unisex-ad...-boot/491/unisex-chunk-2-black-twin-gore-boot
A buddy of mine has this pair and helped build a garage last summer and they saved his feet more than one. They also have a safety toe model as well.
Only thing about the Blundstones are they are Australian sizing so trying them on first is a massive advantage.

Past that Dr. Martens are always a good choice. With regular use they will usually last about four years. Not great for support but you can add insoles just fine.
http://www.zappos.com/dr-martens-1461-3-eye-gibson-black-smooth
http://www.zappos.com/dr-martens-8053-black-nappa-leather

Hope that helps some.

One more point is if you want your footwear to last longer, buy two pair and change them out every day. Give them a day to rest and dry out from sweat. They will last three times longer than wearing one pair all the time.

Johnny

Just wanted to say that I don't do the same type of "working with my feet" that you do, but I have had a series of problems with soles in boots and loafers breaking in exactly the same pattern.

I suspect it has to do with cheap soles not being designed to accomodate any flexing of the toes - they expect people to clomp around dropping their weight onto their heels instead of actually transferring it from one foot to the other.

Unfortunately I can't make any recommendations - I've mostly tried lower end stuff and found it to be predictably hit or miss. I've been tempted to try higher-end shoes as a solution but I've yet to see a style I like from a reputable brand.

If you wear pants at work, and abuse your shoes that much, I was going to also recommend a pair of steel toed or even just regular boots.

Just wanted to say that I don't do the same type of "working with my feet" that you do, but I have had a series of problems with soles in boots and loafers breaking in exactly the same pattern.

I suspect it has to do with cheap soles not being designed to accomodate any flexing of the toes - they expect people to clomp around dropping their weight onto their heels instead of actually transferring it from one foot to the other.

Unfortunately I can't make any recommendations - I've mostly tried lower end stuff and found it to be predictably hit or miss. I've been tempted to try higher-end shoes as a solution but I've yet to see a style I like from a reputable brand.

Regarding Red Wing's soles on this particular model, after thinking about it a little more, I believe they're somewhat similar construction to soles on some Vasque (Red Wing's hiking line) boots. There have been multiple complaints about the soles splitting in similar manner, and not being repairable. They are some kind of injection molded (or something like that) soles that are direct-attached. They are very comfortable, but do have a limited lifespan.

This, however, does not automatically mean it's an inferior boot. If you really beat your shoes up, a $100-150 pair of boots who's soles will fail in 3-4 years might be the better option than getting a resolable $300-600 pair who's uppers will be trashed by the second time you resole.

Ecco is probably the best bang/buck combo going. I'd recommend Rockport and Bostonian's on the low end, though they will only last a few years but solid. Then again, I'm lucky in regards to this issue because I can/have worked in Converse/desert boots all day with literally no discomfort. I think I'm just well build to work on my feet all day (maybe having really high arches has something to do with it? I don't wear special insoles or anything).

Years ago, when I worked retail I bought a plain black pair of low Doc Martens. They can be a bit tough to break in, but once they are adjusted they can be very comfortable all day. Of course, this was almost 20 years ago and I don't know what the quality or build on the Docs are now.
I recently bought a new pair of the basic Doc shoes for the first time in ages, and the construction looks the same as far as I can remember - but so far, all I can really be sure of is that they do still take a lot of breaking in!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The dude at the Redwing store (same guy who sold me the shoes in 2012) said they were not the kind they resole. Also said that after 2 1/2 years they were approaching their end of life anyway.
I noticed today the other shoe, in the same spot, is starting to split as well.

Are there any shoes that come with a lifetime warranty?

Top Bottom