What's new

Good Pricing Guide for Straight Razors?

Is anyone aware of a good pricing guide for what various vintage razors are worth? I can't find any books, magazines or websites.

But it would be nice when surfing ebay to have some resource for what one should expect to pay for a certain vintage puma or a certain vintage Henckels.

I have heard that they are pretty much useless now, a razor is worth what someone is willing to pay...no more and no less. Your best bet would be to search for completed listings on eBay for razors that are similar to what you are looking for. Keep in mind that a "shave ready" razor from a well respected member from srp or B&B will usually go for significantly more than a similar (dull) razor from a random seller on eBay. A Puma or Henckels in great condition will go for a lot of money as you can see from the completed listings on eBay or sales on the boards.

Even an outdated guide would be of some use, in terms of seeing that some thing tend to be more valued than others, even if now they are both twice as expensive than they were when the guide was published.

Most pricing guides no matter the product are really only starting points. There are too many variables affecting the price. Usually the best thing about these guides is the best ones have a resource section thats just talks about the item and gives you a primer on collecting the item in general.

Keep an eye on ebay for a few months, you'll get a feel of things. As Thebigspendur says, there are a lot of variables.

But I'm pretty sure there are one or two guides, don't have a clue what they're called though.

Even an outdated guide would be of some use, in terms of seeing that some thing tend to be more valued than others, even if now they are both twice as expensive than they were when the guide was published.

I just want to note that this is a good thought; however, razors do not all go up by the same percentage together. The price of razors today are dictated by the supply (which is relatively fixed) and the demand (which changes) of razors in general and that specific razor, whatever people really want will go up in price MUCH faster than other razors. You will also find that the types of razors and qualities in the razor that "users" want are many times different than what "collectors" want; I would think that the guides would be more geared towards collectors.

I like to use ebay as my price guide. I find it amazing just in the last year how much prices have gone up. I would venture to say that prices have gone up 25% or more in just the last year or so. This is also true with barber hones. For all of the bad publicity they get, they are sure going for a premium now.

Glen

The Standard Guide to Razors Third Edition by Roy Ritchie & Ron Stewart is a good starting point. The prices are a little on the low side for what I see being paid now, but it's a nice place to start. And it has some good info on manufacturing dates.

The Standard Guide to Razors Third Edition by Roy Ritchie & Ron Stewart is a good starting point. The prices are a little on the low side for what I see being paid now, but it's a nice place to start. And it has some good info on manufacturing dates.

I have this book. It is worth the money. Also, lots of great color pictures of razors.

Norm

In answer to your question, I do not think there is a good pricing guide.

You can buy new and if you do so, there are many internet sites that list pictures and prices.

If you want vintage, E Bay lists hundreds, but unless you know the reputable dealers, you can end up buying an unusable item.

I'd say that $70 plus shipping is the going rate for a shave ready second hand razor in good condition. If the razor has a cachet, then the price can be much higher. e.g. Double Duck, Puma

Incidentally, price does not always mean that you will get the razor of your dreams. the razor you will enjoy using, will be particular to you. Hence the reason for a booming second hand market.

thanks.

Follow up - other than tracking ebay regularly and just building anecdotal knowledge of price (like the wonderedge that just went for $350 - yikes), are there ways to search ebay for final winning bids, say you wanted to know what PUMAs went for in the last six months? Or do you just need to follow ebay regularly to see what things go for?

I like to use ebay as my price guide. I find it amazing just in the last year how much prices have gone up. I would venture to say that prices have gone up 25% or more in just the last year or so. This is also true with barber hones. For all of the bad publicity they get, they are sure going for a premium now.

Glen

Agreed, a year ago I was able to buy a shave-ready fairly generic US made razor from Altima for around $25. Now they seem to be going for twice that.

A little off topic - sorry

Jordan

Agreed, a year ago I was able to buy a shave-ready fairly generic US made razor from Altima for around $25. Now they seem to be going for twice that.

A little off topic - sorry

Jordan

Altima55 has been consistently kicking out razors for a few years now. His reputation has increased along with the price of his razors. I have recommended him numerous times to people.

Glen

Top Bottom