What's new

Going to natural soaps?

For years I have used, for the lack of a better term, commercial soaps/body wash. Axe, Dove, Old Spice, Irish Spring to name a few. Often times, the scent never lasted and as far as feeling clean, I guess? Lackluster results.

Looking to go natural soaps. How many have switched to natural soaps and never looked back? The hype matched your results?

Like my my shaving creams, I enjoy the scent of Sandalwood. At least until it gets a bit warmer where I may want to try a more of a spring/summer eucalyptus type soap

On a odd note, at age 44, I find myself going back towards more simple ways. DE wet shaving, looking at natural soaps. Got rid of of my coffee pod machine and went Aeropress/French press (read, fresh ground coffee). And I don't see it stopping there....interesting phase of life.

I'm right there with you on everything. I feel a lot better when I use natural body soaps. My skin feels a lot cleaner too. It didn't happen over night but after week I could tell the difference . ymmv thing. Give it a shot.

I really recommend the switch. I have tried a few of Queen Charlotte Soaps' (Volcano pumice and Goats Milk).

My skin doesn't feel dried out but feels hydrated when I step out the shower. The scents are also fantastic. For me, the simpler the ingredient list, the better; this is what caused me to switch from drugstore soaps to artisan soaps.

Stirling soap company offers large bars (around 5 oz) for $3.50. I have some of their soaps in the mail and am very excited to try them.

Rose of Sharon Acres also has nice variations (Goat's Milk, Shea Butter,...).

If you google search "badger and blade natural soaps" you will probably find a wiki article that links to online vendors. Take advantage of the resources here!

I've only just recently made the switch to natural soaps. Started with Sasquatch Soap and just bought from Queen Charlotte Soaps. I don't think I'll be switching back any time soon. I love the variety of options available. And my skins feels a lot better. I'd highly recommend those two companies to look into to give a try.

I really recommend the switch. I have tried a few of Queen Charlotte Soaps' (Volcano pumice and Goats Milk).

My skin doesn't feel dried out but feels hydrated when I step out the shower. The scents are also fantastic. For me, the simpler the ingredient list, the better; this is what caused me to switch from drugstore soaps to artisan soaps.

Stirling soap company offers large bars (around 5 oz) for $3.50.QUOTE]
+1 I like Pigs trail

I've was using body wash for the longest time. Decided to to switch to more natural soaps about a year ago and haven't look back.

I too am 44 and seem to be going in the same direction. I recently ordered some MWF body soap and love it, it leaves my skin similar to the way the shave soap leaves my face, soft and silky smooth. I do not see myself going back to the old Dove/Irish Spring I used to buy.

Did the same exact thing as OC513, and became a big fan of MWF bath soap. Is not inexpensive, but the bars last a long time and the product seems great for the skin.

"The scent never lasted" seems like a good thing. A soap that leaves something on you is not leaving you 100% clean. That aside...

I recently switched from Dial "Spring Water" bars to Grandpa's Wonder Pine Tar Soap. I feel cleaner, and scrubbing with it seems to be more effective. It rinses more thoroughly off of me, leaving me less slick, and after the towel I feel more dry. It does leave its scent behind; my wife and I do like the scent. I can't say how long it lasts.

According to their website: "We make no claims to be organic. Rather, we do strive to make our products as natural as possible." I don't know your criteria for qualifying a soap as "natural", but they claim to be.

Am I out of order by asking someone to define what exactly a NATURAL soap is??
I tried Dr. Bronners; it was awful. cheap fragrance, totally drying. Cheap and a
rip-off at that. Is it considered a natural soap??

You've asked the million dollar question. There is no official FDA definition of what constitutes a "natural" product, so it has become an advertising slogan more than anything else. Even if a soap only uses essential oils for fragrance, tallow and vegetable oils, no colorants other than herbal ingredients, it is going to be made with lye, which is not a natural (as in "existing in nature") product. No one is making appreciable quantities of soap using pot ash lye made from wood ashes and water (if at all - maybe for Civil War reenactments?). So the term "natural soap" is open to interpretation. To me, a melt and pour soap made with propylene glycol and SLS isn't "natural" (although some claim to be), but a transparent soap made from scratch and only using simple ingredients would be. A liquid soap like Dr. Bronner's is natural but it's pretty drying (as you noticed) because it's primarily saponified coconut oil with a low superfat. Artisan-made cold and hot process soaps are "naturally made" soaps because they're made from scratch. I think that when people ask if something is "natural", it's shorthand for "is this a good product that doesn't contain anything that's going to be bad for me?"

Last edited:
On a odd note, at age 44, I find myself going back towards more simple ways. DE wet shaving, looking at natural soaps. Got rid of of my coffee pod machine and went Aeropress/French press (read, fresh ground coffee). And I don't see it stopping there....interesting phase of life.

"more simple"? really? LOL - I thought using my old Mach 3 and goop for decades was simple. With all the variety of offered by DE shaving and the B&B to enable me, this is anything but simple. It is fun though.

I haven't tried any natural soaps yet. Good luck with your search and let us know how it comes out. :thumbup1:

I think that when people ask if something is "natural", it's shorthand for "is this a good product that doesn't contain anything that's going to be bad for me?"

I've always figured they were saying "is this a product whose ingredients list I can pronounce", or confusing "natural" with "certified organic".

I switched to artisan bath soaps after I ordered some from Stirling on my second shave soap order. I smelled much better at the end of the day than I ever did with a commercial soap. I also use Mike's Natural Soap as well as local soaps that I find at antique stores and craft faires. And after reading Michelle's reply above I'm about to try out her offerings.

I haven't made a total switch but I enjoy the Mod Cabin's Birch Tar soap myself. It worked real well as the beard wash it was advertised as, and has since been a great face wash since the beard came off (and this DE shave thing took over). Not drying at all. I'd use it as an all-over soap (and they also suggest as shaving soap), except at $14 a hit, I'm sure it would get to be an expensive habbit (on top of the ones I already have). You also have to be a fan of the smokey/campfire scent to enjoy. They posted a manifesto on its benefits on their website here.

Top Bottom