What's new

Gillette takes a swipe at traditional wet shavers?

Gillette's willingness to talk out of both sides of its mouth is still astounding.

Very interesting, thanks Jerry. Regarding 'both sides of the mouth', a week before the Super Bowl, Inbev (who owns Budweiser) bought a microbrewery that makes, among other things, a pumpkin spice ale. Come game day and Inbev is mocking pumpkin spice ale during a commercial.

I was the first in my circle of friends to switch to DE/Wet Shaving a little over a year ago. Number of converts to date - 6... and counting. I can imagine that most wet shavers talk openly to friends and family about the benefits of wet shaving and have probably converted some people just like I have. It's exponential, but if enough wet shavers are getting friends and family to switch, I would think the modern shave industry would be feeling it. I am not a member of the dollar shave club, but that place is cutting in on the profits too.

What is it they say? You know when you're over the target when you start getting flak?

I use to think cartridges gave a bad shave, until I learned to wet shave properly and then applied the same techniques to a cart shave. Proper prep, great soap, a minute or two of lathering, WTG, XTG, ATG and touchup after. BBS from every cart I've use and in 1/2 the time of DE. Once you learn how to shave, every sharp blade should produce similar results. I also see guys complaining on the profits Gillette makes, yet buying premium soaps at $20 oz if not not more. Worrying about $3 carts and then buying $200 brushes is kind of silly too. There are companies with incredible profit margins on some of these DE products.

What the carts don't do, is enough to keep me using DE for most shaves. The carts are not sexy, they aren't nostalgic, there's no element of risk or satisfaction of doing a more difficult thing well. So, I'm a DE guy now and maybe a straight razor guy in the future, but as for doing it purely for the results, not a chance. I also doubt many people have saved much money when they switched to DE. Not after reading a lot of posts here describing what they've bought. There are thousands of ads everyday from thousands of companies, designed to separate you from your money. Precious few, if any are doing what they do, purely for your benefit.

I just spent a little time looking at the "Flexball" on Amazon and in the description there is a table listing one of its features as being a "microchip".

A MICROCHIP??

What...is it GPS guided or something?

I wonder.. In the Beginning there was the 3 piece razor. Then came the one piece, but it needed something so the notch and the blade dispenser arrived, But all were not satisfied so the " colored tips" appeared. Then "adjustable" razors, and so on...Gillette basically gave away razors at one point just to get blade sales up. Blade sales is a losing proposition for a large corporation so "new" and improved is the mantra. I can see a internet enabled razor that texts your phone " you have 12 shaves on this blade time for a new blade in your turbo xc smart razor, please touch yes to have new blades sent. Progress does not always mean better it just means moving forward.
And thats all I have to say about that........:blink:

I wonder.. In the Beginning there was the 3 piece razor. Then came the one piece, but it needed something so the notch and the blade dispenser arrived, But all were not satisfied so the " colored tips" appeared. Then "adjustable" razors, and so on...Gillette basically gave away razors at one point just to get blade sales up. Blade sales is a losing proposition for a large corporation so "new" and improved is the mantra. I can see a internet enabled razor that texts your phone " you have 12 shaves on this blade time for a new blade in your turbo xc smart razor, please touch yes to have new blades sent. Progress does not always mean better it just means moving forward.
And thats all I have to say about that........:blink:

Ditto...

It's like they're making fun of themselves. Gillette sells disposables, and this ad is clearly saying that disposables suck, what you need is the latest, hottest cartridge razor. This is what I hate about Gillette. Their commercials insult the intelligence of the consumer.

Believe it or not, there is a huge market for people that like new things. It doesn't have to be progressive or useful, it just has to be new and that's it. Thank goodness I'm a fan of practicality and, for the most part, tradition. If I wasn't, I would have never known what I was missing!

Well said!

I too like NEW Gillettes....:laugh:

Am I the only person who's never shaved with these expensive contraptions? I only ever bought cheapo single or double blade disposables. Sometimes I used a handle with replaceable twin blade heads but again always cheapo and usually unknown brands. Back then good cheapos actually existed. The brand was irrelevant to me if they shaved well. And they were cheap. I switched because cheapo became crap and I wouldn't pay the price of expensive cheapo razors.

Maybe there's so much animosity toward Gillette because so many people bought into the expensive cheapo crap for so long.

Am I the only person who's never shaved with these expensive contraptions?

No, you are not. Unless you mean contraptions like the triangular slotted Tech razor, which could only use the latest and greatest Gillette DE blades.

You know ... new technology, better than the old (and protecting Gillette's market share).

Keep in mind also that there were plenty of cheap products out there 100 years ago, too.

The reason you don't see them anymore is that it all went to the slag heap long ago. Only the best products have survived and become collector's items.

This is called "survivorship bias" -- because the best razors have survived we assume that that's all there was at the time.

A Gillette in 1922 in the UK would have cost £54.64 at today's prices, the Fusion today is from £5.00 on special offer....

I doubt that. The Slim will probably be around. If it's lasted 49 years it will last 49 more.

The Fusion is not a razor per se. It's a razor handle. It's a glorified plastic stick. Without a cartridge, it is worthless. Unless you think Gillette is going to be making cartridges for that plastic stick in 49 years, the stick itself will be worthless.

There will always be NOS carts and used handles available, I don't imagine that will change in the future. A Fusion maybe important to some in the future as Wilkinson Sword Bonded handle from 1970 is to buyers on eBay now...

No, you are not. Unless you mean contraptions like the triangular slotted Tech razor, which could only use the latest and greatest Gillette DE blades.

You know ... new technology, better than the old (and protecting Gillette's market share).

I meant so called cartridge types.

Gillette forces all their new products on people. Most men are not aware of DE shaving so they buy whats available.
I cannot believe there is a country in Europe that does not stock DE blades, they are there. They are just not attractive, DE razors are featured in movies and the media too.
There is also the backward step of no longer selling DE blades in dispensers, let's have them in a little box where you have to unwrap paper and then handle them.

A Gillette in 1922 in the UK would have cost £54.64 at today's prices, the Fusion today is from £5.00 on special offer....

Just looked up an ad from 1954, in a Dutch newspaper.

A Gillette aluminium Tech, with two blades, would cost Fl 1,10.

In today's money, that would be only €3,75

Not too different from the Fusion really.

Of course the alu Tech was a budget razor.

I doubt that. The Slim will probably be around. If it's lasted 49 years it will last 49 more.

The Fusion is not a razor per se. It's a razor handle. It's a glorified plastic stick. Without a cartridge, it is worthless. Unless you think Gillette is going to be making cartridges for that plastic stick in 49 years, the stick itself will be worthless.
The Track II is over 40 years old and Gillette still makes cartridges for it.

Top Bottom