What's new

Gillette Spoilers wow!

I had my first shave today with a Gillette Spoiler. I was pretty skeptical going in that they would be better/different than modern blades, but I am impressed.

Is anybody aware of the specific differences between Spoilers and their modern equivalents?

M
I had my first shave today with a Gillette Spoiler. I was pretty skeptical going in that they would be better/different than modern blades, but I am impressed.

Is anybody aware of the specific differences between Spoilers and their modern equivalents?
Maybe a picture?

I'm so glad to have a lifetime supply of vintage NOS Gillette US Spoiler in my den, ALL 15 blades per metal case

proxy.php

proxy.php

Gillette spoilers were the first blades I shaved with in 1970, as far modern equivalents I would say polsilver, Gillette super stainless from Russia and perma sharp super from what I remember, the thing I remember most is they were very smooth, just my opinion.

I have >100. They’re my preferred blades, but I won’t pay a dollar per blade for them. The only theory I have about why they’re better than modern blades would be care in manufacturing, because Gillette could get so much money for them.

You might want to at least give some of PPI’s stainless blades a try and see if you find them just as agreeable. Personally I have a lot of the old red-box Gillette Stainless PPI blades and use them often, but that blade isn’t currently available as far as I know.

I have >100. They’re my preferred blades, but I won’t pay a dollar per blade for them. The only theory I have about why they’re better than modern blades would be care in manufacturing, because Gillette could get so much money for them.

You might want to at least give some of PPI’s stainless blades a try and see if you find them just as agreeable. Personally I have a lot of the old red-box Gillette Stainless PPI blades and use them often, but that blade isn’t currently available as far as I know.

I do like PPI blades quite a bit—Wizzies, Astras, and GSBs are among my favorites.

I shaved this morning with a spoiler in a 1958 red tip, cold water using Williams mug soap omega boar brush. The shave was nice, however it is not the holy grail. I would equal it to polsilver, perma sharp super and super stainless all from Russia, three of my favorite blades, to a lesser extent rapira Swedish super steel except not quite as sharp but very smooth. I can’t wait to try a vintage Wilkinson sword from England to compare, just my opinion

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
I can’t wait to try a vintage Wilkinson sword from England to compare, just my opinion
They are the sharpest thing, as far as vintage, that I know. They feel like shaving with a Voskhod that has been manufactured correctly, but as sharp as a Bic Platinum or Nacet. They are the enigma blade for me, I can't figure out how they made them so perfect. The early(pre 69') stainless are just as good as the Light Brigades shave wise. The main difference being the longevity. The later pre-German ones are better than some people have rated them. I would say they found a way to make the process cheaper and the quality is probably 90%, I get similar performance to the early stainless. The thing to remember with Wilkinson is they didn't manufacture different blades at any given time. When they found a way to improve them, or make them cheaper, the old version didn't stick around. Hence the Light Brigades were called "New Blade" for the first year then Light Brigade for the NA market after. There is good documentation on all of this from trade publications and patents.

They are the sharpest thing, as far as vintage, that I know. They feel like shaving with a Voskhod that has been manufactured correctly, but as sharp as a Bic Platinum or Nacet. They are the enigma blade for me, I can't figure out how they made them so perfect. The early(pre 69') stainless are just as good as the Light Brigades shave wise. The main difference being the longevity. The later pre-German ones are better than some people have rated them. I would say they found a way to make the process cheaper and the quality is probably 90%, I get similar performance to the early stainless. The thing to remember with Wilkinson is they didn't manufacture different blades at any given time. When they found a way to improve them, or make them cheaper, the old version didn't stick around. Hence the Light Brigades were called "New Blade" for the first year then Light Brigade for the NA market after. There is good documentation on all of this from trade publications and patents.
Thank you sir for the reply, I read somewhere that all the vintage Wilkinson sword blades were basically the same just different packaging for different markets, I would like to know for sure if I start buying some.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
Thank you sir for the reply, I read somewhere that all the vintage Wilkinson sword blades were basically the same just different packaging for different markets, I would like to know for sure if I start buying some.
Others can chime in to back up what I said, but be aware there is every motivation by sellers to keep the prices up on Vintage Wilkinsons. I have a 125 box of Vintage London Bridge that is for the European market. I had a nice discussion with the seller and read the patent showing they were made by Wilkinson and the year being the "Light Brigade" period. I paid what I feel is a very fair price, not the $3-$6 per blade that some people are paying. I probably need to put together some bookmarks for this, the person with original sources and shaving experience was on a different shaving site. There are several threads and he usually chimed in at some point.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1442.jpeg

If you want to try Vintage Wilkinson Sword, this is my recommendation. These are likely 80's vintage and are the ones I mentioned deliver 90% of Light Brigades. Study the packaging carefully and don't buy anything that you can't see both sides clearly. There are made in Germany ones with a white tuck to confuse things. Also note the vintage price. I only paid about .75 each compared to 1.25, including shipping and tax, if you are lucky on the ones from the 60's. Those ones can occasionally be snagged from an antique seller that doesn't know much, but with greater risk of their condition.

View attachment 1285860
View attachment 1285864
If you want to try Vintage Wilkinson Sword, this is my recommendation. These are likely 80's vintage and are the ones I mentioned deliver 90% of Light Brigades. Study the packaging carefully and don't buy anything that you can't see both sides clearly. There are made in Germany ones with a white tuck to confuse things. Also note the vintage price. I only paid about .75 each compared to 1.25, including shipping and tax, if you are lucky on the ones from the 60's. Those ones can occasionally be snagged from an antique seller that doesn't know much, but with greater risk of their condition.
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. They seem like they are hard to find

I just finished shaving with a spoiler, only 2 left out of 10. Nice smooth comfortable shave, I have to say legend some times passes reality, they are very nice but not as legend leads people to believe.

Gillette...the SPOILER! I have been using a pack from 1985 and it is just incredible to me how good these blades are! I have not yet found a modern blade that is anywhere close. Granted...I haven't been DE shaving for a very long time...but I know a good one when I find it. I bought an old pack off of ebay for like 5 dollars and it still had like 7 unused blades in it. I disinfected them and went to town! This old blade that has been sitting in someone's garage in a bin of nuts and bolts for almost 40 years is better than anything we have today!

Gillette...the SPOILER! I have been using a pack from 1985 and it is just incredible to me how good these blades are! I have not yet found a modern blade that is anywhere close. Granted...I haven't been DE shaving for a very long time...but I know a good one when I find it. I bought an old pack off of ebay for like 5 dollars and it still had like 7 unused blades in it. I disinfected them and went to town! This old blade that has been sitting in someone's garage in a bin of nuts and bolts for almost 40 years is better than anything we have today!
You haven’t tried a USA made Gillette Platinum. Or a later Personna 74 “super platinum chrome.”

They’re good, but try some of the new Russian made “swede” platinums if you can find the Russian variety. Pretty good modern equivalent

Top Bottom