What's new

Gillette Frankenfatty Pass-around

Here's an updated photo of Frankenfatty:

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1413000821966.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1413000821966.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 69
Had a nice shave tonight. Here is the low down.

First of all this is a nice user grade Fatboy. There is some scars here and there and the finish isnt totally smooth in some places. With that said I is nice and shiny and the green isn't so bad. When I saw the pictures I wasn't a fan but in person it actually is a nice touch (Capt hope you don't offense) . Here is an interesting note, the retainer clip was replaced with an acorn nut. I like the little round end sticking out a little. I think it adds a nice accent. I would round off the hex points of the but though. Capt you could patent it.
One side of the head seems to slant to one side. This is slight and didn't affect the shave at all. I didn't see any issue with the gap so I'm guessing that Capt fixed that issue. One other quirk is that one of the doors doesn't shut all the way without a blade in it. It just seems to stop short of closed. Bit it closes fine with a blade. Why? I don't know.

I did a 3 pass shave. This is my usual routine with a DE. I started at 5 then 6 and finished with 7. The adjustment was a solid click and 1/4 turn was solid as well. This Frankenfatty feels and shaves just like a regular Fatboy. I'll give it a few days and see how not holds up and then will move it along.

I am pleased to hear that frank arrived in one piece! This razor has been a problem child for sure, as far as repairs are concerned. I myself had two fantastic shaves with it. I agree with you on the paint, it wasn't my first choice but after some collaboration with Dalton, I was fully on board with the green and red, not to mention the functionality of the colors. For some reason, me and green paint do not get along. I had to re-prep the areas that were to be painted green like three times:mad: I finally changed paints and got a good stick (hopefully it lasts).

As far as the acorn nut retainer, it was not a very involved alternate. I spent some time pondering fabricating my own retainer cap and then I got really busy with things and found myself in the hardware store and saw those little plated acorn nuts and thought: "this will look spiffy on there!" I thought about rounding the corners off too but I use the hex edges to tighten the nut on there with my long nose pliers. I suppose there are endless options for a retainer.

As for the doors not closing up tight, I tinkered with this back and forth and finally decided that if the doors secure the blade as intended, I would stop messing with it. I think that the primary reason for the doors not closing all the way is due to the hinge stud that I had to fabricate and attach to the razor...not an easy task. If it wasn't perfectly positioned, it would likely cause misalignment and of course, the doors to stop short of closing. The blade is tight nonetheless:yesnod:

As far as the blade gap goes, I am blaming it on the solder:laugh: When the solder heats up with that 170°+ tap water, it likely becomes somewhat weak and allows some movement in the blade plate. I triple checked the gap before sending it off so either it is razor gremlins or something is moving around during use. At any rate, it shaves whiskers:thumbup: Glad you didn't have to go the Emergency Room! Thanks for the review, Sir!

Last edited:
Capt the gap is fine and even so that isn't an issue.

I will add that if someone is reading this and wants to try a Fatboy this is your chance. While we may be nick picking the finer points of this resurrection you can be sure that this is a Fatboy. I am sure that many people have and use Fatboys who are in worse shape.

Capt the gap is fine and even so that isn't an issue.

I will add that if someone is reading this and wants to try a Fatboy this is your chance. While we may be nick picking the finer points of this resurrection you can be sure that this is a Fatboy. I am sure that many people have and use Fatboys who are in worse shape.
:thumbup: I agree to the last part of your post, If you are viewing and questioning whether or not to try frank out, best get involved:yesnod: :biggrin:

Frankie has been boxed and sent out.

Last thoughts: basically everything I said above still stands. She has performed just like my regular Fatboy. No parts went flying and the green is just as green as it started. I was hoping that the paint would hold up to the scrubbing bubbles and a gentle cleaning before shipping, as she did.

Thanks again to Dalton and Capt for making this thing happen.

Thank you, Imatabor! I am glad it departed in one piece! On to Mr. Hadsell for some terror! Thank you for your contributions and for participating in this unique Pass around:biggrin:

I received the Frankfatty yesterday and was able to get an initial shave in with it this morning. Here's my SOTD and a pic.

Razor: Frankenfatty on 5
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Soap: Foundry and Forge Bay Rum
Brush: Rubberset boar 19mm
AS: Avon Spicey/CC CO9T

Today was one of those days you try a whole bunch of new things and it worked out. I went with a blade I am used to but everything else was new. I'm not sure how I feel about the other items but I'm already cruising the bay for a fatboy...let's see how the rest of the week goes.

$IMG_20141019_094159.jpg

What did you set it on? What kind of shave did you get?
Try the Feathers if you can. They just make the Fat Boy sing.

It was on 5 to start after I checked out the blade gap at a few settings. BBS on the cheeks and DFS on neck. I have used feathers before and not been able to handle them, but I will give one a try in the fatboy. Planning on 2 more shaves with the lab, probably at 7 and 9.

I just did a shave with my Fat Boy earlier. Things were going well, until the wife poked he head in the bathroom, and started to gripe about the 16 yr old son, and what I needed to "do about him" thing. Two instant nicks. I told her to leave before she made me bleed out. Feather blades work well, unless you get distracted.

I used Frank the past 2 days with the Personna lab blue. Yesterday was a nice 3 pass shave on 7 and today was a DFS 2 pass on 9. I will be trying the feather tomorrow, hopefully all goes well.

I can't get over how well it fits my shaving style. It is very comfortable to hold and the length is right to get the correct angle for any pass (wtg/xtg/atg). I was stalking the bay tonight and couldn't wait any longer, found a 1961 Fatboy (my dad's birth year). It appears to be in very good shape and was right under the price I had set to spend. I will be getting Frank ready to move on down the road. I am glad I got the chance to try this as I would have avoided it due to price (and previous use of a slim)

I used Frank the past 2 days with the Personna lab blue. Yesterday was a nice 3 pass shave on 7 and today was a DFS 2 pass on 9. I will be trying the feather tomorrow, hopefully all goes well.

I can't get over how well it fits my shaving style. It is very comfortable to hold and the length is right to get the correct angle for any pass (wtg/xtg/atg). I was stalking the bay tonight and couldn't wait any longer, found a 1961 Fatboy (my dad's birth year). It appears to be in very good shape and was right under the price I had set to spend. I will be getting Frank ready to move on down the road. I am glad I got the chance to try this as I would have avoided it due to price (and previous use of a slim)
Outstanding, Sir! I assume he's holding up, mechanically speaking? Nothing has come loose or broken off? I am pleased to hear that your are having a positive shaving experience!

Top Bottom