What's new

Gibbs Adjustable Replica from Heritage Collection Shaving

From the web site: The FINAL PROTOTYPE has been tested and we are working to have a final sample picture with case available soon. Anticipated pre-order day will be in mid to end of May with a delivery 30 days later. So sorry for inconvenience as we want the best product for the money and we were set back with the COVID-19

I signed up to receive email updates back in Feb and haven't heard a peep from them; I'd think if they were that close they'd gin up the interest by sending out some teasers.

I like their retro brush handles, too pricey for me but maybe I'll drop some hints at the next gift-giving occasion.

Are all the brushes they have on their site homages, as well? They look like the real deal. Can they legally do that? I mean, make a replica but include the original branding?

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.....

Are all the brushes they have on their site homages, as well? They look like the real deal. Can they legally do that? I mean, make a replica but include the original branding?

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.....
Heritage Collection bought the trademarks to ensure legitimacy. The brushes are modern replicas, though Heritage Collection handles do differ in small ways dimensionally + the HC branding that they stamp on the bottom or with the Logo (Klenzo models).

Will also be interesting to see if some parts, like the handle are interchangeable with the original. Aluminum is light but I actually like how head heavy mine are.

Will also be interesting to see if some parts, like the handle are interchangeable with the original. Aluminum is light but I actually like how head heavy mine are.
And I prefer the balance of the aluminum Gibbs [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Heritage Collection bought the trademarks to ensure legitimacy. The brushes are modern replicas, though Heritage Collection handles do differ in small ways dimensionally + the HC branding that they stamp on the bottom or with the Logo (Klenzo models).
Thanks for this explanation.

Is that the metal they are using for the replica?

All I heard, and I think it was on their Twitter a while back was that the handle was going to be aluminum. Going to offer it in black, polished or matte. Haven’t heard about the other parts yet. They posted pics too and the polished is shown on the website. I’m assuming the black shown is one of the others.

And I prefer the balance of the aluminum Gibbs [emoji2]

Right, can’t overlook the different materials used. When I was Gibbs crazy with RAD last year, learned other things that separated them through the decades. My first Gibbs I got was from a B&B member and it is a very early one, can’t be positive but looks like 1930s based on old ads. It has more curve in the cap and other differences including the internal threading and how it connects to the handle.

The old boy shaves very well but I think what I refer to as the second generation shaves a little smoother. The head is more angular and it is easier to attach to the handle after breakdown. My other 3 Gibbs are in this generation 2 group (Not all mine, the mints are for my sons). What I call generation 3 is identical to generation 2 but the knurling is different. Generation 3 must be even more rare because I never see them for sale, just pics only.

Again, the generation thing is completely made up by me to keep them all straight in my head. You also see more material variations in that second generation like your aluminum head and those metal handles that seem like unicorns. I almost bought the unicorn for $40, years ago before the Rex came out but didn’t because of blade modification. Ugghh. Also see the Personna introduced then. Must have been rockin over at Gibbs during that time.

This replica looks more like that second generation to me that is why I stalk their website.

Right, can’t overlook the different materials used. When I was Gibbs crazy with RAD last year, learned other things that separated them through the decades. My first Gibbs I got was from a B&B member and it is a very early one, can’t be positive but looks like 1930s based on old ads. It has more curve in the cap and other differences including the internal threading and how it connects to the handle.

The old boy shaves very well but I think what I refer to as the second generation shaves a little smoother. The head is more angular and it is easier to attach to the handle after breakdown. My other 3 Gibbs are in this generation 2 group (Not all mine, the mints are for my sons). What I call generation 3 is identical to generation 2 but the knurling is different. Generation 3 must be even more rare because I never see them for sale, just pics only.

Again, the generation thing is completely made up by me to keep them all straight in my head. You also see more material variations in that second generation like your aluminum head and those metal handles that seem like unicorns. I almost bought the unicorn for $40, years ago before the Rex came out but didn’t because of blade modification. Ugghh. Also see the Personna introduced then. Must have been rockin over at Gibbs during that time.

This replica looks more like that second generation to me that is why I stalk their website.
I don't believe those unicorn metal sleeve versions that pop up were official issue though, just workshop one offs driven by the tendency of the sleeves to crack.

I agree, I also prefer the Gibbs' balance. The Rex seems cumbersome and off-balance to me compared to the Gibbs.

I agree, I also prefer the Gibbs' balance. The Rex seems cumbersome and off-balance to me compared to the Gibbs.

I have the Rex also. I can balance most of my razors on any finger, my Gillettes, I could probably do that riding a bike, but have a lot of issue doing that with My Rex.

Did this production ever go anywhere? I'm on the list to be notified, but I haven't heard anyhthing!

Long story short. The overseas middle man was arranging for Yaqi to produce the razor for HCS. Yaqi ended up producing their own version and releasing that last month for the Australian and European markets. Whatever the exact story, it is still Yaqi marketing the razor for themselves with some changes to the baseplate (Think DE89) and the handle.

I was informed by Heritage Collection Shaving that they found a new manufacturer. How long until the HCS replica is released is anyone’s guess but they seem pretty intent on getting it done as soon as they can.

Top Bottom