What's new

Getting started - hi

Y'know how something just clicks into place for you suddenly, and it seems right? That happened shaving earlier. The result's not perfect, but it's a major improvement, and I think it gives me interesting data.

I didn't have as much time as I wanted to go really slow with it and try a bunch of stuff, so I figured one more day of what I've been doing (socially acceptable results, moderately uncomfortable) would be okay. But it wasn't going going too well, so I changed my grip on the razor a bit.

The difference was remarkable, and I really felt like the razor was doing the work. Of course, it was doing it badly, which was a clue that I should've changed blades before I started shaving. Did so, re-wet, re-lathered, and tried again. I didn't feel or hear the whiskers being cut, and for my trouble I got the closest single pass on my cheek I've ever had with no additional discomfort.

Of course, I still managed to irritate the area just below that faint line under my nose that I have such a hard time reaching with a N-S stroke with the grain, and I found that even with a new blade, the edge and bottom of my chin were not so willing to be cut.

Am I right that this suggests I might want to try either the Personna or Derby in place of the Dorco I'm using now for a blade that will more easily cut those tougher hairs? Obviously, I ought to practice what I discovered today with the blade I've been using to become more accustomed to the technique for a few days before I try a new blade.

Or am I likely to get better results doing more to try and soften those whiskers?

Thanks again for the advice and the warm welcome! :w00t:

Worry about nicks in the area you are getting ingrowns---you're shaving too close there.
You are probably having to be too aggressive due to your razor or your blades.

No help with the Nivea. That's one of the best. If you can find Cremo, get it. Aveeno and Neutrogena have dimethicone and I try to avoid them unless my face tells me its necessary (or until I can use up old stock). Have you considered witch hazel as an aftershave?
You could probably invest in a better shaver, and I'm a fan of the Parker 24c and the Muhle R41 head.
The 24c is fine for new users. I used a Merkur 34c for too long and nearly gave up DE.
The R41 will let you know if you aren't ready, but the aggressiveness is overblown.

Like I said, I spent 5 long years with the wrong razor.
But you should also look into your preshave routine. Noxzema, Trader Joe's Tea tree tingle conditioner, any shave cream/soap on the face in the shower.

Welcome from Arizona !

Don't forget some pre-shave prep. I occasionally rub in some Noxzema cream and let it sit for a minute or two before a shave. It makes a difference. Some like pre-shave oil or special soaps as well.

Welcome aboard Ghost, you'll find that this is a really friendly forum of great people.

I've got not so great vision too and what might help you is to get a shaving mirror. They're often double sided with the front being a normal mirror and the back side has a magnifying mirror, you can get them in different strengths of magnification to suit your need. They're not expensive and you can get ones that you can bolt to your wall on a moveable arm.

Ghost, you mention that you have a Weishi razor. I have a Van Der Hagen (I've been told it's a Weishi with VDH branding) which I just went back to this morning to try again. What I think I figured out was that the razor is more light weight than the Merkur 34c that I've been using. I've been getting excellent shaves with various blades with the Merkur, but the VDH really did a number on me with nicks and as the day wore on, irritation that wasn't there this morning. I think that the weight of the Merkur allows me to "guide and glide". While I think I might have been applying pressure with the he VDH, I did get an extremely close shave, but it cost me some skin.

Like everyone else has said, look at the products and pre-shave prep that you use. I've learned a lot on YouTube watching he channel Nick Shaves. He's got a 15 part series for beginner wet shavers. It's pretty good, and I learned a lot there. Check it out!

Welcome. It takes time to develop technique, so be patient. Some people can't do against the grain passes ATG. So just stick with the grain WTG till your face adapts to DE shaving.

It seems like doing some reading first, and then a post here is the right and proper thing to do, so here I am. Shaving poses certain problems for me. Namely, I'm an albino, which means fine hair that grows densely, is basically transparent until I have a pretty substantial bit of growth, and oh yeah, I have lousy, uncorrectable vision—not that it matters a whole lot with hairs that are almost invisible!

Because of the denseness of growth, using any electric razor felt like shaving with a belt sander, only it didn't actually remove much of the hair! The Fusion monstrosity removed the hair, but only after WTG+ATG passes, and left my face in pain. Oh, and more ingrown hairs than keeping a short beard.

So finally someone brings up the notion of a DE safety razor as a cost savings, and I decided to investigate. I wound up with a Weishi straight bar model and a blade sampler from RetroRazor. I'm using the Dorcos to start, but have Personna and Derby to try when I'm ready. I'm using the Col. Conk soap and Tweezerman badger brush suggested as a bundle with the razor, and I think I'm getting a good lather, but possibly not using my brush to its fullest benefit yet. I shave after a shower and am applying Nivea Sensitive ASB afterward.

The major problem I am having is that I don't feel I have quite enough razor control, particularly at the corners of my mouth (one particular spot I've managed to nick myself twice, actually) and just under the nose, a spot I seem to scrape my face raw trying to reach. I'm pretty sure that I wind up using more pressure than I should as a result, which leads to...

My secondary problem. Razor burn. I can manage one pass WTG and not have TOO much pain for too long after I shave, but much more than a second very careful partial pass to clean up the obvious lousiness of my first and I'm going to be feeling it the next day despite a good slathering of the Nivea ASB (which is annoying in itself since I don't particularly enjoy its scent to any great degree, it's just the first thing I found that was actually soothing..)

I really think the second problem is actually just a symptom of the first (and probably a clue that I should investigate other AS options...) Despite these issues, I'm encouraged overall. So far this is WAY better and WAY less painful than using that Fusion piece of crap. And really, I have managed to nick myself only four times in two weeks (twice in the same spot, though), so it's unlikely I'm going to inadvertently disfigure myself for life. A good beginning!

But I'd sure appreciate any advice someone who knows what they're doing can offer. :laugh:
Try this helpful BnB link
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...hread-please-post-tips-advice-here?highlight=

Be prepared to give up on your initial razor. It was the one thing I refused to give up on, being the highest initial cost and me being cheap.
I wasted years on the Merkur 34c. The Parker 24c was a better fit. Own both before you give up on certain blades.
Welcome to the club and good luck. It takes time.
It IS technique. If you feel a dragging/skipping, something IS wrong. Watch a video or upgrade your blade/razor.

Top Bottom