What's new

Getting started - hi

It seems like doing some reading first, and then a post here is the right and proper thing to do, so here I am. Shaving poses certain problems for me. Namely, I'm an albino, which means fine hair that grows densely, is basically transparent until I have a pretty substantial bit of growth, and oh yeah, I have lousy, uncorrectable vision—not that it matters a whole lot with hairs that are almost invisible!

Because of the denseness of growth, using any electric razor felt like shaving with a belt sander, only it didn't actually remove much of the hair! The Fusion monstrosity removed the hair, but only after WTG+ATG passes, and left my face in pain. Oh, and more ingrown hairs than keeping a short beard.

So finally someone brings up the notion of a DE safety razor as a cost savings, and I decided to investigate. I wound up with a Weishi straight bar model and a blade sampler from RetroRazor. I'm using the Dorcos to start, but have Personna and Derby to try when I'm ready. I'm using the Col. Conk soap and Tweezerman badger brush suggested as a bundle with the razor, and I think I'm getting a good lather, but possibly not using my brush to its fullest benefit yet. I shave after a shower and am applying Nivea Sensitive ASB afterward.

The major problem I am having is that I don't feel I have quite enough razor control, particularly at the corners of my mouth (one particular spot I've managed to nick myself twice, actually) and just under the nose, a spot I seem to scrape my face raw trying to reach. I'm pretty sure that I wind up using more pressure than I should as a result, which leads to...

My secondary problem. Razor burn. I can manage one pass WTG and not have TOO much pain for too long after I shave, but much more than a second very careful partial pass to clean up the obvious lousiness of my first and I'm going to be feeling it the next day despite a good slathering of the Nivea ASB (which is annoying in itself since I don't particularly enjoy its scent to any great degree, it's just the first thing I found that was actually soothing..)

I really think the second problem is actually just a symptom of the first (and probably a clue that I should investigate other AS options...) Despite these issues, I'm encouraged overall. So far this is WAY better and WAY less painful than using that Fusion piece of crap. And really, I have managed to nick myself only four times in two weeks (twice in the same spot, though), so it's unlikely I'm going to inadvertently disfigure myself for life. A good beginning!

But I'd sure appreciate any advice someone who knows what they're doing can offer. :laugh:

Time, technique and patience. Forget the quality of shave to begin with and aim for comfort. That means working on using no pressure other than the razors own weight, and getting and maintaining the right angle to cut, not scrape.

It takes some time, but can be worth it.

I'd suggest looking at the traditional AS products. they contain more than just alcohol, and soothe and heal the skin. You can use witch hazel in its place. With either you can add a balm if you find them drying.

Hi Ghost!

Welcome home!

I'm less experienced at wetshaving than you are from the sounds of things, so I can't offer any actual shaving advice, there's more than enough skilled and veteran shavers here to help you with that.

What I can offer however, is some general B&B advice: get involved. I've spent more time than is probably healthy on these forums in the last week and a half, and it's been amazing every step of the way. It's one thing to lurk on the boards and read others' posts and problems, but actually getting involved and becoming a part of this wonderful place is something very different entirely.

We're just a bunch of classy gentlemen (with a few gentlewomen here and there) helping each other get some damn smooth faces. I can think of nothing wrong with that.

Apply no pressure at all with the razor let its weight do the cutting as just guide it with the hand. Practice should make your shaves better and better. Oh, by the way a warm welcome to you to the forum.

Hello, and welcome!

The corners of the mouth and just under the nose are tricky spots. Use your tongue to stretch the skin there and/or lower your chin and make the 'Scream' face, to help the razor do its job.

With the nose, I usually make the 'Scream' face while holding the tip of my nose up to get that blade edge right up where it needs to be.

Regarding your sensitivity and razor burn:

Make sure you're keeping your skin wet and lubricated at all times.

Be certain to keep good technique. Short, deliberate, WTG strokes.

If you haven't done so, try to re-examine which way your whiskers grow. Sometimes we think we're going WTG when in fact we're not.

Don't be afraid to move up to one of the sharper blades. Since you have a decent handle on how not to shred your face, a sharper blade can help ease discomfort. Ease of cutting leads to ease of shaving leads to easing of post shave discomfort in my experience. I would caution you to ONLY change your blade. Keep the other factors (the cream, the Weishi, etc.) constant.

In the meantime, maybe try a little Witch Hazel applied directly to the skin after rinsing followed by the balm once the WH has dried. If you think the Nivea scent is bad, wait until you smell the WH:blink:

Good luck. Happy Shaving.

Welcome to B&B.

DE shaving is a skill that takes a bit of time to master. The nicks will go away with a bit of practice. If you know that you tend to nick yourself in a particular spot, my advice is to deliberately slow down a bit when you get to that spot.

Good luck and enjoy the shaves.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Apply no pressure at all with the razor let its weight do the cutting as just guide it with the hand. Practice should make your shaves better and better. Oh, by the way a warm welcome to you to the forum.

+1 on this. This is by far the simplest thing that is said and the thing for me that was the hardest thing to do. I kept on wanting to see and feel results . . . and to confuse matters I was getting what I felt at that time to be good results. You want to be just skimming the razor over the surface . . . letting the blade catch the hairs that it does. By the time you do a WTG, XTG, and ATG you will have caught them all. Trying to get more by pressing does work but also will give you razor burn. Good cream or soap and good prep mitigate this razor burn but the more I've been doing this the more I think pressure is the key.

The Weishi doesn't actually seem all that weighty to me, possibly because it's so short and has that TTO mechanism. Perhaps I should try a different razor at some point? I chose the Weishi because it was supposed to be gentle. Perhaps it isn't really the right thing for me? I probably should stick with it a few more weeks all the same, but as I'm starting out, I don't want to spend a lot of money on stuff I won't use, particularly on the pricer products.

I'm going to investigate witch hazel and other AS products, and maybe a purpose-made facial cleanser. The former at least I suspect I can find at the grocery store, if I think to look for it.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll report back in a day or two!

Top Bottom