What's new

Getting a Water Softener System - Any Advice, Guys?

A couple weeks back, we replaced a 7yr old dishwasher due to hard water buildup. Neighbors around us with similar aged houses are experiencing the same issues. Some have even had water heaters go out. So the growing consensus is a water softener is a good idea. And I want to protect our investments.

I did some research, checked with a few companies, and decided to go for it and get a system. Our water tested at an 11-12 on the gpg scale, and a 380 on another test (I thought he said TP something but cant remember). We'll be renting for the time being, well, the contract period anyway. This includes a salt softener system, all the maintenance and salt delivery, and the installation. We're getting an RO system too for the drinking water. I went with Culligan, who does have the longest contract but the better long term price, and doesn't require me to mess with the thing or buy salt.

So I wanted to ask you guys, who have or have had soft water systems, what can I realistically expect? I know you're supposed to use less soaps and detergents, it may feel slippery or slimy at first. That's about all they commonly tell you. But what about other things? And what I really want to know, is is there anything I should do to my house to properly prepare for the change? Should I try and clean out or descale appliances or anything? Anything I should tell the water guys to do first? I just want to be fully prepared and know what to expect, and I appreciate you guys help!

Oh, and of course, how's this gonna affect my shaving lathers? I've never had issues creating good lather before, what can I expect there?

Thanks guys!

I've never lived in a location where I needed a water softener so I can't talk on the what to get side.

I would like to interject that when you install it you do so with valves and hoses so that it is NOT part of the home plumbing and have to be left behind when you move. If you connect it in and out with hoses (like a washing machine) it is an appliance not part of the water piping.

As far as what difference in lather. You will use less product and get more lather :yesnod:

I've never lived in a location where I needed a water softener so I can't talk on the what to get side.

I would like to interject that when you install it you do so with valves and hoses so that it is NOT part of the home plumbing and have to be left behind when you move. If you connect it in and out with hoses (like a washing machine) it is an appliance not part of the water piping.

As far as what difference in lather. You will use less product and get more lather :yesnod:

Thanks Mick! Yes, this one isn't too involved. Our water main is in the garage. It comes in, goes through some kind of accessible junction, then on into the whole house. The system will be attached to that. The only complicated part is, apparently by law here, the drainage for it, when it regenerates, has to go into city drainage, thus the drainage coming from our house. They'll have to run a pipe across the garage wall and over to where our water heater/laundry room drain cleanout is and tie in there. Going to require a hole in the wall I think. But, none of its permanent apparently, so that's good if we hate it.

Use something like I did with my in house water filters. I can bypass the filters or engage them. You would use hose after the I/O valves to the filternstead of pipe to make it from permanent to portable.

proxy.php

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My area has terribly hard water. The plant it comes from reports 497 milligrams per liter or 29 grains per gallon. I was replacing coffee makers every 9 months or so until we switched to a chemex.

Since my only issue was the hardness, and not a smell or discoloration, I went with an off the shelf unit from Lowes, and installed it myself. It's worked flawlessly for the past 4 years. It's easier to shave, scale build up is practically nonexistent, and it's made everything generally easy compared to the PITA it was before. It's installed on the main line so the whole house has softened water.

I have had a Culligan system for years. I first had a system that I rented. Fifteen years ago I purchased a system along with R/O. We really like it it works great. Last week we ran out of salt for the first time ever and we could really tell the difference.

Use something like I did with my in house water filters. I can bypass the filters or engage them. You would use hose after the I/O valves to the filternstead of pipe to make it from permanent to portable.

I'm not really sure what the water guys are going to do, but I know it can come out pretty easy for any reason. We shall see!

My area has terribly hard water. The plant it comes from reports 497 milligrams per liter or 29 grains per gallon. I was replacing coffee makers every 9 months or so until we switched to a chemex.

Since my only issue was the hardness, and not a smell or discoloration, I went with an off the shelf unit from Lowes, and installed it myself. It's worked flawlessly for the past 4 years. It's easier to shave, scale build up is practically nonexistent, and it's made everything generally easy compared to the PITA it was before. It's installed on the main line so the whole house has softened water.

Wow Derrick, that makes my water seem tame lol. We do have chlorine and other things about our drinking water that aren't desirable, so we've been using filtered from the fridge since forever. Its not bad, but after its softened and with the new RO system it should be much nicer!

But as far as the softener, we weren't quite ready to buy outright. Just not sure what we'll think of this. I've lived with hard water my whole life and family members who didn't care much, and didn't like the idea of a water softener. So its new to me and I'm not sure what to think yet. But it sounds like its going to make a big difference. Did you have to do anything to plan ahead for it, or descale your appliances? How was the adjustment to the soft water, and the less soap thing?

I have had a Culligan system for years. I first had a system that I rented. Fifteen years ago I purchased a system along with R/O. We really like it it works great. Last week we ran out of salt for the first time ever and we could really tell the difference.

We've had a Culligan water softener and RO system for several years and it's been great.

That's good to hear that you guys are using the Culligan and are happy! Thanks! We've got a buy option on the contract, so if we wish we can start "financing" instead of renting.

BTW Chris, did you get my PM recently?

I rent a softener. It costs me $17 a month. It does a fine job. Our arrangement do not include any salt delivery, so I buy the cheapest salt I can find and add two bags every three months.

When I moved in to this house there was a G.E. unit. It was a ***. It used a lot of salt and the water was not what I called soft. i think it was worn out. And, there was no way I was going to lay out $300 to $1,000 for a new unit. The rental has been the right solution for us.

As to your question about doing any "get ready " work. I say NO. Just have it installed and enjoy the benefits.
Soft water allows me to lather almost anything. I thing I could almost make lather from a rock, lol.

You WILL notice a difference in the "texture" of the water particulalry in the shower. It usually takes a very short time to adjust oneself.
The caveat to us, is taste. We don't like the flavor of soft water, but after it passes through filter in the fridge, its fine.

I had a culligan system for years and, truthfully, it sucked. But it was an older system that based it's recharge on the amount of time versus actual usage. So I think everything still turned brown, etc. because my teenage daughter blew through the effectiveness of the system too quickly. In any event I discovered a company online called budgetwater[dot]com. I sent them samples of my water and they configured an entire system for me. It was WAY less expensive than the off the shelf units and it was custome tailored to my well water. I put it in myself and it was easy. It came with instructions and videos and 24 hour a day phone support as I was putting everything together. I'd highly recommend them and the system.

I had a culligan system for years and, truthfully, it sucked. But it was an older system that based it's recharge on the amount of time versus actual usage. So I think everything still turned brown, etc. because my teenage daughter blew through the effectiveness of the system too quickly. In any event I discovered a company online called budgetwater[dot]com. I sent them samples of my water and they configured an entire system for me. It was WAY less expensive than the off the shelf units and it was custome tailored to my well water. I put it in myself and it was easy. It came with instructions and videos and 24 hour a day phone support as I was putting everything together. I'd highly recommend them and the system.

I will contact them when i'm able to afford a system. I have an old Rainsoft system that no longer filters after 5 years of use. When i talked to them about it, they said that the filter could no longer be charged and i'd have to buy a new one...uh hell no! The first one was expensive and sold to me under the false pretense that i'd not have to buy another one ever. Stay away from Rainsoft!

For me one of the draws to renting was to eliminate things wearing out, getting obsolete, etc. i have softwater always, no matter.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We've had a Kinetco for about 15 years. Other than installation and adding salt from time to time, it's required no maintenance at all. The beauty is that it takes to electricity and regenerates only on demand. Wonderful thing.

Good luck with your new system. I had one installed when I lived in FL and the difference was amazing. The house I bought in AZ had one installed. Further, all of my neighbors have water softeners installed and most have a filtration system to remove some of the chemicals.

Have had a water softener for many years. When we moved into our new house 7 years ago I had enough things to worry about so simply decided that Culligan had been around for a VERY long time so they must be doing something right and went with them just to simplify things. No regrets.

Many years ago I had one of those softeners that ran off of water pressure -- no electricity. I kind of liked the idea of that but thinking about it, the no-electricity is not all that important anyway; with my Culligan system electricity is only needed in the regen process, not during daily operation. The irony is, that when I had the water pressure driven system I was using a well with an electric pump! No electricity and no water pressure!

Kind of ironic I stumbled across this thread, we just moved into a new home and I had it plumbed for a softener when built and am going with a Whirlpool unit from lowes that I am going to put in, not sure how tough but about $500 total and my time, hopefully should not be to tough

Ok so we've had the softener for a few days now, and I can tell for certain that its working. ;) I'm definitely getting that soap didn't wash off feeling.... but its not that bad. I knew to expect it, and I've been telling myself to ignore it, everything is normal. And once I dry off its gone, I don't notice it or feel soap. I'll get used to it. I'm the only one who seems sensitive to it though, my teen boys and my wife have noticed it, but its no biggie to them. That's a plus... if she hated it, might have a prob on my hands lol. Other than that, I cant say theres much else I've noticed yet. Time will tell I guess with things like spotting on shower door n such.

The RO drinking water is as expected. Good stuff and I like having it! Kids like it too. The only thing that's been a downer is it was hooked up to some kind of loop system that was pre plumbed in our house that goes to the kitchen sink and the fridge water line, but for some reason the fridge ice maker stopped working! There is water going to the fridge, its only one line. Possible I goofed things up when I emptied the ice bucket to make room for new, and took out the filter, but never been an issue before. So I'm not sure, I've got fridge warranty repair guy coming Sat to check it out... I'm sure he'll blame the Culligan guy lol. But we'll see!

Kind of ironic I stumbled across this thread, we just moved into a new home and I had it plumbed for a softener when built and am going with a Whirlpool unit from lowes that I am going to put in, not sure how tough but about $500 total and my time, hopefully should not be to tough

I watched the guy install it, and it took him a couple hours. He had to custom cut copper pipe and fit and sweat the joints with a blowtorch. He also had to run a PVC drainage line to the closest place that drained into the sewer system, which happened to be the laundry room cleanout. According to the guys, and local law, salt system drainage when it recharges has to be drained into a city sewer source, that may be a factor where you live too. If you're comfortable with all those types of DIY, then rock on man! That's a great price! :)

Top Bottom