What's new

Get Your Hike On! - Picture Thread

heres the close up where you can really see the nest

I use this one for an avatar on a birding forum I frequent. I'm trying to get good enough to do conservation work for this bird which is endemic to my state.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Thanks, cool stuff!!!!

Terrific goal.

heres the close up where you can really see the nest

I use this one for an avatar on a birding forum I frequent. I'm trying to get good enough to do conservation work for this bird which is endemic to my state.

$image.jpg

Another critter shot for ya, Ken. This was last year doing a trail called the Ted Errery Nature Circuit http://www.bushwalkingblog.com.au/t...sbane-ranges-national-park-anakie-victoria-2/

Echidnas are VERY reclusive and this is a rarer shot than the Koala - !

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Very cool! Thanks. I read the linked info tomorrow morning. About to turn in for the night.

Your critter looks a little like a hedge hog, although I could be way off. We babysat one for my son's second grade teacher one summer. It wasn't a very social animal. Cut but not playful in the least. And I had to wear thick gloves when I handled it.

View attachment 352715

Another critter shot for ya, Ken. This was last year doing a trail called the Ted Errery Nature Circuit http://www.bushwalkingblog.com.au/t...sbane-ranges-national-park-anakie-victoria-2/

Echidnas are VERY reclusive and this is a rarer shot than the Koala - !

Cch
Nice shots f86,

what gear you shooting with? You've got some nice bokeh in a couple of shots...

Most people won't believe me but that's a Nikon d5100 with a 55-300 kit lense. I'm hoping to get better lenses in time.
As for now Im just trying to learn how to use what I have and find its potential

Last edited:
Cch

Most people won't believe me but that's a Nikon d5100 with a 55-300 kit lense. I'm hoping to get better lenses in time.
As for now Im just trying to learn how to use what I have and find its potential

You're kidding? I've just picked up a Sigma 17-50 constant aperture standard zoom for my 7D as a "walk around lens" for hiking to sit alongside a 55-250 and an ancient 75-300 USM from my old 35mm days (still shoots well though...).

Again, great shots!

Nope not kidding . I'm just starting out about 2yrs so far . I've taken around 7,000 photos so far trying to get better. Now I'm trying to decide which constant apertures will be my first.

Thanks for the compliments Everyone.

At the trail head, Moose Mountain Provincial Park, Saskatchewan, Canada, September 2012. I got in about eight miles that day. Saw lots of wonderful animals including beaver and a moose cow that I came face-to-face with on the trail. I was going to get the moose's pic, but then I remembered it was rutting season, so I judged it prudent to be on my way.$DSCN0313.jpg$DSCN0309.jpg

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
At the trail head, Moose Mountain Provincial Park, Saskatchewan, Canada, September 2012. I got in about eight miles that day. Saw lots of wonderful animals including beaver and a moose cow that I came face-to-face with on the trail. I was going to get the moose's pic, but then I remembered it was rutting season, so I judged it prudent to be on my way.

Nice!

here are a couple shots of me and the kids doing some camping hikes. can't really call it a hike if you're wearing sandals, but we are still out and about.

the Snapping Turtle was spotted on a drive to the camp site on the side of the road, we pulled over to give him a look over. it was like looking back in time, he looked like a dinosaur with his tail all moss covered, slow, big claws and huge hooked nose. one of the coolest things we have spotted out of the norm. bald eagles are often seen where we camp and one flew right over out heads soaring around this past week, while we were in the water relaxing.

There are even some potential SOTD (shorts of the day) pics in here :001_tongu

Wife was cooking, out with kids and dog and had to set the time to place camera have dog not chase me, run and jump up cliff and make it into the pic...hence my goofy pose.
$2011 Jul 459.jpg

Snapping turtle on side of road
$2012 Aug 053.jpg

Canoe to cliffs, up rocks for some cliff jumping at our regular yearly camping spot. The was is crystal clear right to the bottom
$2012 Aug 489.jpg

Exploring the lake shore rocks
$2012 Jul 036.jpg

Some little cave expedition with the kids having some fun

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Nice SOTD shots.

Great looking kids.

I spent 4 1/2 years commuting between KC and a job in Iowa. Every year about June I'd see big snappers trying to cross I-35 about once per week. I started carrying a blanket, gloves, and box, so I could move them safely to a place near water where the wouldn't get smashed en route.

My son and I made a road-trip to Utah in June to camp and mountain bike on the slickrock near Moab...

Nice photos, Ken. Looks like you had a good time. I always take Hwy. 95 home from visiting my family unless I'm in a hurry. I'll be heading down to that area in a couple weeks. I hope to get some good shots to post on this thread.

Top Bottom