What's new

Geo Trumper disappearing soap

Water softener so I have no problem lathering Trumpers, but I understand it is a "thing." I also use a shot of scent-free Aveeno gel or EMJ with all my soaps, and find it improves lathering generally, with no degradation in performance.

I used to use Trumper soap exclusively and still love the scents however, like many, I have given up on them as I just cannot get the creamy thick lather that I like. I have recently started a Trufitt and Hill 1805 soap which works very well indeed (somewhat to my relief!) and has a lovely understated scent. This has potassium in the second ingredient and also in others. Other soaps that work very well for me and which have potassium in the second ingredient are Crabtree and Evelyn, although these are hard to come by nowadays, Bathhouse and DR Harris which has tallow. I also have a couple of 2009 vintage Trumper violet soaps that are a delight to use but sadly the last I shall buy.

I thought I could lather anything ... Williams, Mitchell's, Truefitt, Taylor, all the ones people had complained about, no problem. I'm the Lather King, been doing this for decades, the Master!

Then I got a hold of a beautiful bowl of Trumper's sandalwood. A lovely scent and presentation but whoa, disappearing into nothingness lather ... crap, ugh. What the ... ?

I've saved it since 2010 or so, thinking it will someday work and I'll get the magical water/soap ratio right, maybe some super badger brush, rain water from heaven, stars aligned. But no. What a waste.

Just sniffed it a few minutes ago ... love the scent. Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow. Maybe.
Funny. I have this too, the one and only time I bought a shaving product because my wife liked it (she happened to be with me in the store and like the scent best of the shaving soaps on display). I have never opened it, but, how bad could it be? Did you try soaking it in hot water first? Oh well, it can help make my bathroom closet smell nice. I don't think any other soap I've had has such a good scent unopened.

With my just-purchased puck of Trumper Limes, it doesn't matter what I do -- Load the brush more, try more water, less water, spend more time building it up...I end up with a thin, disappearing lather. (I bowl lather but then do a partial face lather before brushing on additional lather from the bowl) We're talking before I finish the right side of my face, the left side has virtually evaporated and I can clearly see my skin through a thin film. I have to keep re-applying mid-pass.

Why can't I get a good lather from the Tumper hard soap?

P.S. I LOVE the trumper creams!

I could have written this - exactly what I find mate!

I know some people like the modern formula, but for me it's not worth the trouble, especially considering how good the old tallow formula was. With my last puck of Eucris the lather would collapse so fast I could hear it fizz (literally). It was also so drying that when I relegated it to the upstairs bathroom as a hand soap, it dried my hands so much that the skin started to crack.

From all the reviews I have Next >read, the creams made by T&H, GFT, and TOBS seem to be better than their hard soaps. The opposite seems to be true of DR Harris; the DRH hard soaps are highly regarded, but their creams, not so much. I can confirm from personal experience that the creams from T&H, GFT, and TOBS are good, but I have not tried their soaps. Likewise, I can confirm DRH soaps perform well, but I have not tried their creams.

Top Bottom