What's new

General questions about the Schick Stick Shift injector razor.

Good evening all.

Im looking forward to trying my SSSI razor for the first time tomorrow morning. This is the very first time I have used an injector razor. It is freshly loaded with a new blade. I do like how you load an injector razor. It is much less fiddly than a standard DE razor.

Having said that my 39c Sledgehammer will always be my primary razor but I will use my others just to add variety to my reviews.

Just wishing to know (if I get along well with it), what other blades will fit it? Will the twin injector blades fit it?

Jason.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Yes, the Twin injector blades will fit in it. Schick B-20 Proline blades will fit, but you'll have to hand-load them into the razor or a Schick injector cartridge (no injector key for the Prolines). Are you using the Personna or yellow packaged Schick blades (or something from a vintage cartridge)?

Last thought -- it's easy to find the angle, but it can be hard to remember to not use a lot (or really any) pressure. It may feel like a cartridge shave when you first start, but it's not. For the record, I thought my favorite DE razors would stay as my primary -- and they rarely get any skin time. I much prefer an injector (or even a Gem) to a DE. Looking forward to reading your shave report.

Brother Jason,

Twin injector blades were designed to work specifically in the later model Schick's, Type I (with no Hydro-magic cleaning lever only) through the Type O. But the twin blades are hard to find, old (and possibly deteriorated), and EXPENSIVE. They are the preferred blade for the newer Schick injectors. With the traditional blade in the Type L you may need 4 passes to get a good close shave if you have tough whiskers.

Please let us know how the shave goes. And how you like the strange Stick Shift handle, in your hand? But with the traditional non-twin Schick injector blades, be forewarned: The shave probably will be mild, maybe too mild, especially if you're used to the Merkur Sledgehammer Slant. You may be comparing an apple with a peach. Both are fine. But they are different.

Last edited:
Yes, the Twin injector blades will fit in it. Schick B-20 Proline blades will fit, but you'll have to hand-load them into the razor or a Schick injector cartridge (no injector key for the Prolines). Are you using the Personna or yellow packaged Schick blades (or something from a vintage cartridge)?

Last thought -- it's easy to find the angle, but it can be hard to remember to not use a lot (or really any) pressure. It may feel like a cartridge shave when you first start, but it's not. For the record, I thought my favorite DE razors would stay as my primary -- and they rarely get any skin time. I much prefer an injector (or even a Gem) to a DE. Looking forward to reading your shave report.
I am not sure. The package that I was sent contained two sets of injector refills that are simply just branded as 'Schick' and they weren't in any packaging; just loose. If I do get along with the SSSI razor then it will indeed make a good travel razor.

The reason that my Sledgehammer will always be my primary razor is that I just love its weight and its shaving action and the huge variety of blades that will fit it. I have developed a 'bond' with that razor if you see what I mean.

Also I've had that razor for 5 months now and I've always been happy with its results when fed with a good blade like the Nacet. Another reason why I like it so much is because how my wife described it as a 'weapon' compared to my Gillette Fusion!

Nevertheless I am looking forward to adding some variety to my reviews with the SSSI razor, the Slim Interceptor-style razor and the Micromatic.

Anything else you like to talk to me about please feel free to message me.

Jason.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
And just in case the OP isn't aware of the alphabet soup of injector shaving -- the Schick Stick Shift is a Type L....so as noted by Brother SMS above, it will take a twin injector blade. And I would echo his comments that the version of Schick you are using is on the mild side. I don't aspire for BBS shaves, so I'm fine with the level of shave I get.

Please let us know how the shave goes. And how you like the "strange handle," in your hand?
First of all thanks a lot for addressing me as 'Brother Jason'. It was quite heartwarming to be addressed like that!

Secondly the razor is all set up ready for its debut shave. Of course there will be a review and I'll try and be as objective as I can.

My deepest kind regards.

Jason.

To add to the excellent advice you’ve received from two veteran SE users, use caution when loading a blade into the injector razor, especially if it’s empty. It’s easy to drag the blade edge across the stops which obviously will damage the blade.

To add to the excellent advice you’ve received from two veteran SE users, use caution when loading a blade into the injector razor, especially if it’s empty. It’s easy to drag the blade edge across the stops which obviously will damage the blade.
Thanks for that. The first blade I loaded into it was a 'primer' blade. The second blade I loaded went in without any fuss and the blade edge is perfectly square and level to the safety bar.

Jason.

You mention the Gem Micromatic line. They are very nice. I think they may be the oldest of the TTO razors. There are three models:

Gem Micromatic "Open Comb," circa 1929 to 1949. It is the most aggressive and is my personal favorite.

Gem Micromatic "Clog Pruf" circa 1941 to 1949. It is medium aggression and ultra-smooth in performance. Possibly the most popular model for most shavers.

Gem Micromatic "Flying Wing" aka "bullet tip," 1947-1948. It is the mildest of the Micromatic's

They all are wonderful. And relatively inexpensive.

Schick injector shave is as easy as it gets: the angle is built-in and pressure, no pressure doesn’t matter. It’s light and compact and you can fly around your face any way you want. You can’t do it wrong! Enjoy!

I can't add much here, since I am late to the party except enjoy your shaves. Regarding new blades, schick and Personna (often rebranded) are the traditional choices. Supply has introduced their Black Label blades to the market recently and my early impressions are good. I am not sure they how long last compared to the others yet. The plastic injector key does not look like it will work well in the vintage schicks.

Good evening all.

Im looking forward to trying my SSSI razor for the first time tomorrow morning. This is the very first time I have used an injector razor. It is freshly loaded with a new blade. I do like how you load an injector razor. It is much less fiddly than a standard DE razor.

Having said that my 39c Sledgehammer will always be my primary razor but I will use my others just to add variety to my reviews.

Just wishing to know (if I get along well with it), what other blades will fit it? Will the twin injector blades fit it?

Jason.
Jason, I've been anxiously awaiting you review of this razor. SR

Jason, I've been anxiously awaiting you review of this razor. SR

Here is the review of the Schick Injector razor:

Jason.

Top Bottom