What's new

GEM single edge slant?

has anyone heard of a GEM SE slant? is it a good razor? any info would be helpful? just saw one on the net and was curious. It looks like this. I kinda think its strange.
$$_57.jpg

Thanks Gents,

-Oleg

Yeah looks like a damaged Featherweight.
Wonder how it shaves though.
Why are there no SE and injector slants ( apart from this)?
The rigid blade wouldn't twist, but an angled head like this might work really well.

If the head were slanted, it would shave differently on the left side than on the right. I would think you could get the same result by doing a Gillette slide--but I wouldn't want to try it.

The Kriss Kross razor had a head that could be set at an angle or set "straight". I don't really know of any others.

Hope I don't take over the thread, but in reference to this I know that the gillette slide (or GEM slide as I've heard it originally was) is popular with DE usage, but is it not so much with SE? It seems like it would be the same thing, but xxvaleria's comment makes me wonder. Are you saying you wouldn't want to try that razor or wouldn't want to try the GEM slide with an SE?

Seems like this is almost certainly a bent head rather than an intentional design. The one photo that might have helped there in that listing was conveniently out of focus, too.

$$_57.jpg

If the head were slanted, it would shave differently on the left side than on the right. I would think you could get the same result by doing a Gillette slide--but I wouldn't want to try it.

I'm not following this at all. Why would a slanted head make it shave differently from the left to the right?

Hope I don't take over the thread, but in reference to this I know that the gillette slide (or GEM slide as I've heard it originally was) is popular with DE usage, but is it not so much with SE? It seems like it would be the same thing, but xxvaleria's comment makes me wonder. Are you saying you wouldn't want to try that razor or wouldn't want to try the GEM slide with an SE?

Slanted strokes most definitely do work with SEs, in fact I personally find a much more noticeable improvement with SEs than I do with DEs. I don't know if it's the thicker blade or the generally shallower blade angle or something else entirely that accounts for the difference, but short slanted strokes are absolutely the way to go.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you want to experience it like that simply put the razor at 45 and go in a straight line. I do that on the neck sometimes but it's not like a slant where the blade is twisted.

Because the slant on the right side of your face would be the opposite direction on the left side of your face, e.g. \ and /.

Oh, I had read your comment to mean from the left to the right side of the razor. Still, it wouldn't be very different from a standard torsion slant, which does the same thing: always slants in the same direction, not one way on one side and the other way on the other. The benefit of the slanted edge still works either way, moving the edge more efficiently through your beard. But this is one of the reasons I prefer doing the slanting myself, either taking diagonal strokes or slanting the razor and taking straight strokes -- because I can control both the amount and direction of slant that I apply to follow the contours of my face.

i just wanted to report back i got the razor and it was just a regular GEM featherweight with a crooked head. After i email the seller he said that he will look into it. So after 3 day i email him again and he said that he will refund me but he cannot do it right now because he does not have the funds in his PayPal? I know from my own experience that it take like 2 weeks to get your money from PayPal and there is no cost to refund someone becasue just last week or so a member he paid me accidentally for an item he thought was something else so i contacted PayPal and they said you can refund and its just a wash and no charge. That being said the seller told me to just throw away the razor and he will refund me when he can. Now what i don't understand the seller has the exact same razor up for auction and he did not bother to compare the two and list it as a very rare slant i know it was my fualt for bidding on it but i dont know much about SE razor so i just threw in a bid thinking some one will out bid me needless to say i won but it was only like $10. So what do you guy think i should to file a dispute or give the guy the benefit of the doubt and see if he refunds?

Thanks gents,

Oleg

You could always wait a couple days then file a dispute if he doesn't follow through. I think you have up to 40 days from the end of the auction to file a dispute.
If there is no money in his paypal it should draw money from his bank account, although sometimes this takes two or three days to clear. If his account is overdrawn paypal will still take money and he'll be hit with an overdraft fee - which I don't wish on anybody who doesn't have money.

If he asks to cancel the sale before refunding - refuse to cancel the sale. It's a trick some bad sellers use to claim you never paid and they never sent anything.

Top Bottom