What's new

Zinn Gem Automatic information

I just bought a Zinn Gem Automatic SE razor but it has a different handle than others I’ve seen. The others had black wooden handles, but this one has a silver colored metal handle. I don’t believe that it’s just a random handle that was added as it is exactly the same build as the wooden ones and the metal looks vintage. When I get home, I can add pictures. I can’t find it in Wait’s compendium or anywhere else. Any information is appreciated

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Congrats -- and maybe I'm dreaming, but I know I've seen pics of a Zinn with what looks like a silver/nickel-colored handle....or maybe I've seen one on a certain marketplace. Mine is a "standard" wooden handled one, and Wait's Comp. would be where I'd check for info, so I'm no help; but I'd love to see some pics. IIRC you're no stranger to the GEM line of razors, and this particular model is a great addition to any collection. I use mine with a Schick injector blade -- which I hand-load (of course) and adjust in terms of blade exposure. Enjoy the shave, and please do come back with pics!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I see 3 different stories but I am not familiar enough with Single Edge razors to confirm or deny which is which.
1-It's a mismatch handle (i.e. it comes from a different razor).
2-It was turned by someone, somewhere to replace the wooden handle
3-It's an original handle from either a line that was a limited edition(or special edition) or with a low volume out there (explaining the lack of documentation).

I am curious to see the pictures when you post them.:thumbup:

I appreciate the feedback. As we can see here, the handles are exactly the same, so I have to think that you're # 3 is correct, that it was a limited run on this handle. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I've either seen one of these elsewhere or in an old ad or article mentioning the silver handle. I haven't been able to find anything yet. Still hoping someone may know something.

IMG_2854.jpeg
IMG_2854.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats -- and maybe I'm dreaming, but I know I've seen pics of a Zinn with what looks like a silver/nickel-colored handle....or maybe I've seen one on a certain marketplace. Mine is a "standard" wooden handled one, and Wait's Comp. would be where I'd check for info, so I'm no help; but I'd love to see some pics. IIRC you're no stranger to the GEM line of razors, and this particular model is a great addition to any collection. I use mine with a Schick injector blade -- which I hand-load (of course) and adjust in terms of blade exposure. Enjoy the shave, and please do come back with pics!
Added pics

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Very good close-ups! Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me can post more information about the razor. Sometimes, there's a different marking that makes the difference.

Top Bottom