What's new

Gem/Ever Ready Razor Guru's - Timeline?

P.S. I'm noticing my new moniker coupled with my screen name (slightly off thread and narcissistic, apologies noted), I guess Tensing Norgay is smiling somewhere over this. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I just got a Micromatic in the mail today, and I've also got a Gem Jr. Haven't tried either one yet, but I'm looking forward to giving them both a shot. Any recommendations for blades? Best brands and where to find them?

I just got a Micromatic in the mail today, and I've also got a Gem Jr. Haven't tried either one yet, but I'm looking forward to giving them both a shot. Any recommendations for blades? Best brands and where to find them?

My best SE shaves have came from the GEM blades (found at Walgreens). I can get pretty much BBS in two passes with these on my Jrs. Still some touch ups, but a very nice shave very quickly. Each blade seems to last me about 5 shaves as well.

PAL's are....usable. Sharp, but not terribly smooth.

The blades from Ted Pella are supposed to be good but I've yet to try them.

If the Gem blades that Walgreens carries are the PTFE coated stainless blades, you have probably found the same blade that some of us have bought from Ted Pella. Pella Carries the various Gem blades, but the ones you see mentioned favorably on this forum are the coated stainless ones.

American Safety Razor has several brand names of their own that they sell blades under such as Gem, Personna, Pal and possibly others. Under each of these names they may sell more than just one of their blades. It gets a little confusing.

Various chain stores sell blades with their own name on them that are made by ASR, but they aren't all the same ASR blade. ASR makes both carbon steel and stainless blades as well as coated and uncoated. I suspect they would brand name any of their blades for one of the chains, so if you are buying a blade with the store's name on it, it could be whatever that chain was willing to pay for.

I feel that the one main thing to watch for is a coated blade. Whether it is carbon steel or stainless, in my experience, it will render a more comfortable shave if it has the coating.

Regards,
Tom

I use Treets, because that is what my local Rite-Aid drugstore sells. Im quite pleased with them but they do need to be wiped down after every shave or they will quickly develop rust stains.

I would very much recommend the Gem Jr over the Micromatic. The 1912 patent GEM Jr is an outstanding razor. Many people have experienced problems with the Micromatic.

Thanks to all once again for great info. I am really enjoying B&B. Being the hyper obsessive compulsive that I am, I'm off to go look for blades and check out an antique shop where I've had some luck before. I'll post pics if I find anything.

If the Gem blades that Walgreens carries are the PTFE coated stainless blades, you have probably found the same blade that some of us have bought from Ted Pella. Pella Carries the various Gem blades, but the ones you see mentioned favorably on this forum are the coated stainless ones.

Then I'm 90% sure those are the ones I'm using. :)

Top Bottom