What's new

GEM blue star blades?

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these blades

proxy.php

Worst blade I have every tried, I just threw a pk away in the trash today.

Try the Gem Personas or the Gem PTFE coated.

I just got some of these in the 10 Pack, made by ASR. Are they that bad?

If you've got them, might as well find out for yourself:smile:.

The one caution that probably is valid is to take all possible steps to avoid rust. Store the unused blades outside of the damp bathroom. Dry off and/or alcohol dip the blade after each use. I'm tempted to use Vaseline.

I have 40 of the things that came along for the ride with an eBay purchase, so I'm going to get a good taste of them eventually.

- Chris

I didn't mind the blades, but they rust too easily.
And I mean easily, like the unused ones will rust if kept in the bathroom. I didn't have that problem with any other of the steel blade brands. I've bought razors that come with really old vintage steel blades that aren't as rusty as a unused bluestar will get after 2 weeks in the bathroom cabinet.

All my used carbon blades in the blade bank from other brands have less rust than the blue star blades get.

I have tried treet, pal and bluestar carbon steel blades, so the blue star isn't the only steel blade I have, but the worst for rusting. They shaved the best unfortunately out of all the carbon blades though, so I'm just sticking with the personna stainless and not using any carbon steel blades now.

Last edited:
I didn't mind the blades, but they rust too easily.

And it's not just something unusual about your situation.

I have had just one decent shave from a Blue Star. The very next day I started to shave and realized something was wrong immediately. I looked at the blade and it was rust-covered, especially on the edge. That's in just 24 hours. The rest of the package got tossed.

I have found myself with an ever ready razor that I want to give a whirl. It has come with a pack of unopened ever ready blades. Do you think it would be ok to give these a whirl?

Where do you get these ted pella blades.

Looks like I can get the gem stainless ptfee in the uk, has anyone used these?

Thanks

And it's not just something unusual about your situation.

I have had just one decent shave from a Blue Star. The very next day I started to shave and realized something was wrong immediately. I looked at the blade and it was rust-covered, especially on the edge. That's in just 24 hours. The rest of the package got tossed.

you have to COMPLETELY dry them after each use or they rust (as youve seen).

you can also give them a quick dip in alcohol and that will prevent rusting.

I have found myself with an ever ready razor that I want to give a whirl. It has come with a pack of unopened ever ready blades. Do you think it would be ok to give these a whirl?

Where do you get these ted pella blades.

Looks like I can get the gem stainless ptfee in the uk, has anyone used these?

Thanks

Regarding the Ever-Ready blades, just be sure to examine the blade bevel closely for signs of rust. Do a few hand strops in advance of installing the blade and using it, regardless.

I'm currently using Personna Gem Super Stainless to good effect. I believe what you've described would be similar.

proxy.php

- Chris

Last edited:
I'm currently using Personna Gem Super Stainless to good effect. I believe what you've described would be similar.

proxy.php

- Chris

Yeah they're the ones I use now.

d.irving79, it's not the care someone takes with the GEM bluestars, I take care of them enough that I've never had a rusted out PAL or Treet. These bluestars are something else though. As I said, I can look at all the used blades in the bladebank, and nothing has gone rusty as quick as the bluestar blades. I've got almost rust free, used PALs and Treets in there, yet the bluestars unused on the shelf are rusty.

Haha i got a packet of PAL de blades given to me by my granded he collects alot of stuff...and i thought id give them a try....worst shave of my life i couldnt even finish it it hurt that much...if these are anything like that experience id stay well away lol...think i still have the packet amongst other old razor tucks

Top Bottom