What's new

French Press 101

As an aside, what type of grinder do you use?

1+ I think the type of grinder and the degree of grind introduces more variability in the process than anything else except possibly the quality of the water.

So in addition to asking about your recommended grinder,what type of water do you recommend? Bottled? Tap?

Great post BTW Thank you!

DJ: I put three measures (blue SCAA scoop) of roasted coffee beans into my grinder (this is for an 8-cup/32oz Bodum French-press), and (ultimately) fill the press with just-off-boiling water up to the bottom of the handle-band at the top of the carafe.

Do you think I should be using four measures, instead of three?

I'm going to increase the load from three to four level measures of whole beans, but stick with a finer grind (back-off from Espresso, until the sediment at the bottom of your mug lessens noticeably).

Yup, four level-measures of roasted beans for my 8-cup/32oz French press do the trick.

OK, I just bought an 8 cup Bodum Chambord press. I have a Cuisinart cheapy grinder - the type with the stainless cup and you press the lid so the blade spins on the bottom. So if I got this right, I load up as many whole beans as will fit in a tablespoon and use 2 of those per 6 oz water. Any idea about how many spins on this grinder it will take to get the proper grind? Also, I will probably use a hotpot to boil the water. Will I need to reheat the water while the grounds are doing their initial bloom?

A truly brilliant post!

My quibble? Don't make it too universal! I use both a 3 cup French Press with a plastic jar and a 8 cup French Press made from Stainless Steel. The amount of coffee added to the Press is solely a personal decision. Everyone should experiment and find the amount that works best for him/her!

As to grinding beans I leave it up to the Coffee Shop/Grocery Store. The disk grinder necessary for a uniform grind is (in my view) to expensive for an individual to buy. So I let the Coffee Shop grind it or I use the Grocery Store's grinder.

My goodness. Doesn't anybody just boil or percolate their coffee over an open fire anymore?

When canoe camping I do.

I used to do cowboy coffee -or worse when camping (like those tea bags with coffee in them.)

These days for canoe camping I bring along one of those Nissan stainless steel double wall insulated french presses.

When I'm backpacking I just go without - got too spoiled drinking well made coffee.

Quick question - I always understood that it was best to pour all the coffee off the grounds as soon as the brew time has elapsed.

Experts out there - is this correct?

OK, I just bought an 8 cup Bodum Chambord press. I have a Cuisinart cheapy grinder - the type with the stainless cup and you press the lid so the blade spins on the bottom. So if I got this right, I load up as many whole beans as will fit in a tablespoon and use 2 of those per 6 oz water. Any idea about how many spins on this grinder it will take to get the proper grind? Also, I will probably use a hotpot to boil the water. Will I need to reheat the water while the grounds are doing their initial bloom?

Hey Dennis,
#1- Yes, this is the correct measure, but feel free to adjust this for your taste.
#2-Try grinding the coffee to about the consistency of Kosher salt, then you can tweak the grind up or down from there.
#3- There should be no need to reheat the water.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy!

Quick question - I always understood that it was best to pour all the coffee off the grounds as soon as the brew time has elapsed.

Experts out there - is this correct?

Chris,
Yes, I would agree that you want to stop the coffee from over extracting/becoming bitter etc. But in reality you will probably consume the coffee fairly quickly anyway.
I would suggest that if you are making a rather large pot that you will be drinking over say a hour or so, that you pour it into a preheated thermal carafe.

Chris,
Yes, I would agree that you want to stop the coffee from over extracting/becoming bitter etc. But in reality you will probably consume the coffee fairly quickly anyway.
I would suggest that if you are making a rather large pot that you will be drinking over say a hour or so, that you pour it into a preheated thermal carafe.

Got it - thanks!

I used to do cowboy coffee -or worse when camping (like those tea bags with coffee in them.)

cowboy coffee is the same as what you get with a French Press, except with filtering of the press part. You use your teeth to filter out the grounds. :biggrin:

Although the standard way is a splash of cold water into the pot to settle the grounds and then pour it all out into cups immediately. Done correctly it can almost rival what you get from a French Press.

I have been using a French Press for about 6 months now and it is the absolute best coffee ever! I am glad to see others getting into it and a nice set of instructions for everyone as well. I am enjoying a nice cup right now that I just made at work, we have a nice hot water dispencer on our coffee machine that is awesome for the Press.

I am having variable results with my press. I have come to conclusion that the grind is everything. I am using a Cuisinart blade grinder which is wildly inconsistent. In general though, the coffee is pretty decent so far.

Top Bottom