What's new

Frank shaving Silvertip Badger?

I've got a Frank's $35 Silvertip travel brush (I don't travel often and couldn't justify $100+ for a nice turnback)... and honestly, while I would not put it up against a typical $150+ Silvertip, it is a VERY nice brush and more than holds it's own over other $50-$75 "best" and even some "finest" grade. It does shed a bit, but like I said... I don't travel often and this brush is likely going to last my lifetime.

I bought a FS silvertip for the usual modest sum of money. The tips are soft, the quality is better than expected, it is a bit floppy but still remarkably serviceable - yada yada. The same stuff most of the posters here have been saying. Ultimately, I regret buying the brush. In retrospect, for about the same price, I would rather have a high quality boar than a FS silvertip. I might change my mind if FS comes out with a dense, short-loft, 2-band silvertip for under $50 ...

Well I really like the FS silvertip.
First impressions are good. Not a shedder or too much of a lather hogger, soft but reasonably firm. It's maybe slightly better over all than the more expensive AoS pure badger that I had been using.

I have a Frank's silvertip for nearly a year and I like it a lot. I would have to disagree with the "floppiness" issue. I have not experienced a problem with this and I have used it for everything from Cella to Truefitt. I'm of the opinion that a lot of pressure on the bristles isn't necessary to whip up thick lather, what you need is friction and patience. I would recommend it. The only critical thing I would mention is that they definitely keep the manufacturing costs low by using cheap handles. There is nothing "wrong" with the handle but it feels and looks kinda cheap. For the price you can't go wrong though.

Top Bottom