What's new

For regular SR shaver, what is the main reason why you prefer SR shaving? (You can only pick one.)

Legion

Staff member
I love using historical things, not just collecting them, I just sharpened my 3rd 1893 Chicago world's fair souvenir razor. Someone nearly 130 years ago purchased it, it was part and parcel of life ina time before, and I get to be connected with that same history, so long ago yet not so different. Using old things gives me a sense of connection to the world that we all build on top of, for how we all got here.
I think this is me. I like antiques. Restoring, maintaining, researching, thinking about their history. The fact that a razor is a functional antique that I can use every day, and inexpensive enough that I can collect and have a number of them, that's pretty cool.

That also keeps me away from spending big bickies on new custom razors, which is good.

I've been straight razor shaving since I was in my teens. I'm in my 50's now. I've used DE and deposable blades, electric shavers etc. for a short period of time. I've can tell you for certain, that going back to simple ways of self-reliance is a bigger plus as a look at the current state of the world. A better-quality shave and skin care if you take the time to learn. You are solely in control quality of your shave. I'm now using deferent hone stones vs a slate stone with chromium oxide on fabric strop which worked very well over the years. Now using coticules, Arks and Jnats have changed the game. I have never looked back since.

I mostly use shavettes, I rotate through a variety of them and enjoy their shave. While I do/would enjoy a traditional straight I am ignoring them in this response.

After getting proficient with a shavette I prefer using one over a DE razor as it is easier to use in some ways. Easier to see where the blade is when squaring up the sideburns and see/feel the blade angle on the face overall. I find that trying to shave with a DE, especially an aggressive DE after not having touched a particular razor in months to be more challenging, as one cannot really see the blade angle and it is more difficult to get an irritation free shave without using it for a few days in a row. Since it does not really take me any longer to shave with a shavette, I prefer to use them as my everyday razor. A mild DE can win a time sprint if a quick shave were necessary, but I really don't need to complete a shave in less than 2 minutes.

For the same reason I cook with gas, use fountain pens, vintage tools, bench-made shoes, a Victrola, film cameras, wind-up clocks, open-reel recorder, a 48-star flag, tube radio, stove-top percolator, cast-iron skillets, tortoise-shell specs, paraffin lamps, real silverware, glass straws, metal funnels, cloth napkins, reel mower, sealing wax, dial-phone, a Smith-Corona manual...
I'd have a 30's Packard as a daily driver, if I could!

For me it’s all about the experience. There’s something about SR shaving that puts you in the moment. It’s as if you exist for a short while in a bubble outside of space and time. There’s a connection to the past and future through the tools. There’s the sensory delight of the products. All the while, a calm and peaceful concentration dominates your mind. There’s a looming sense of danger but confidence from the knowledge that your fate is completely in your own hands. There’s the comfort and familiarity of a well rehearsed routine and the satisfaction of a job well done. It’s a joy, an escape and a refuge in an otherwise hectic and demanding world.

I mostly use shavettes, I rotate through a variety of them and enjoy their shave. While I do/would enjoy a traditional straight I am ignoring them in this response.

After getting proficient with a shavette I prefer using one over a DE razor as it is easier to use in some ways. Easier to see where the blade is when squaring up the sideburns and see/feel the blade angle on the face overall. I find that trying to shave with a DE, especially an aggressive DE after not having touched a particular razor in months to be more challenging, as one cannot really see the blade angle and it is more difficult to get an irritation free shave without using it for a few days in a row. Since it does not really take me any longer to shave with a shavette, I prefer to use them as my everyday razor. A mild DE can win a time sprint if a quick shave were necessary, but I really don't need to complete a shave in less than 2 minutes.
What shavette do you like?

What shavette do you like?
I most often use a Feather DX, not sure it is the best shaver but has a premium feel without it being too exclusive. The Tedalus Essence is also great but I worry that i will damage it (accidental drop or clank against the sink) so it used more sparingly. Of the DE shavettes I most like the Focus Al and the generic wedge shaped ones that can be found with different colored scales for ~$20 on Maggards and at other places.

For me it’s the shave comfort. I always had razor burn and ingrown hairs on my neck ever since I started shaving 25ish years ago. The ONLY thing that got rid of it was a straight razor shave. DE’s helped didn’t make them go away.

Combine the amazing shaves with the fun of collecting, honing, mastering a craft that not a lot of people can do has made me a SR shaver for life.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have decided what it is that is my main reason for SR shaving. It is the satisfaction that it gives me.

This satisfaction is not only in the save result, it includes all the new skills I have developed (still learning) and shaving with a razor I have fully prepared myself. I am in control of all and rely on no one else.

Top Bottom