What's new

For regular SR shaver, what is the main reason why you prefer SR shaving? (You can only pick one.)

It has varied, but the most common reason is the quality of the shave. I still shave with a DE once a week, and my straight shaves are significantly more comfortable; they leave my skin feeling soft, supple and smooth.

All the other reasons, like learning skills, sustainability, self-sufficiency, history, shaving off your own edges, aesthetics (there is nothing more attractive than a straight), add up but what really matters is how it feels.

Irritation free shave. With a DE I get some irritation, but with a cartridge I cannot go out for a week until it’s healing.

Second, it was supposed to be much cheaper on the long run than cartridges of even DE blades, but it turned out to be more expensive than a brand new car.

Started off to push my sharpening skills.

Now, I use a straight because it is so much more comfortable to use and leaves a better feel on my face.

For me, it's the full package, history tradition, and the fact that they need regular edge maintenance, it's never going to catch on and become a popular choice that I can bet my life on those days ended more than 100 years ago, very much a niche pastime that's totally appealing to my very practical mind. PS Maybe my opinion differs from most, but I'm not of the school of thought that nothing shaves better than a straight razor because I think a Feather AC loaded with a Feather Pro blade will give you an outstanding shave, but I do prefer using a traditional straight razor.

It's a hobby. Collecting, sharpening. It's fun. Shaving with a razor from the 1800's. Shaving with a razor made by masters like Kamijo or Iwasaki. Pretty cool history.
Like Jamie said above, I can get a perfectly close and comfortable shave with one of my Wolfman DE's but still stick with SR's 99% of times.

Plan was to cut down on plastic consumption in the form of all those disposable razors, but now I have a minor mountain of plastic tubs of shave soap! (I do plan on reusing those containers, though, for more soap and maybe some for fly boxes.)

Quick and easy.
This.

I started because I was lazy, literally irritated about guessing when a cartridge would need replacing, then actually having to go buy them. Granted, this was before I had all my home goods shipped to me (paper towels, laundry detergent, dish soap, etc etc) because that's not how people lived back then.

Now? With the skills of years using a straight, it's just quick and easy. It's the simplest way to stay shaved, and - for me, who needn't sharpen more than occasionally - it's the lowest maintenance shave. No fiddling with cartridges or disposable blades, just strop, shave, and go about my day. No clogging, no muss, no fuss.

Really though, secondary reason, which is probably as big now:

I love using historical things, not just collecting them, I just sharpened my 3rd 1893 Chicago world's fair souvenir razor. Someone nearly 130 years ago purchased it, it was part and parcel of life ina time before, and I get to be connected with that same history, so long ago yet not so different. Using old things gives me a sense of connection to the world that we all build on top of, for how we all got here.

But really, the simplicity. It's just a blade, a leather, and a shave.

Top Bottom