What's new

Foods for cooler weather

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I ended up roasting the sqash and some whole garlic cloves and simmering with chicken stock, then toasting some pine nuts, cumin and curry powder and putting the whole thing in the blender.
Was great.

What's not to like? :thumbup1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Can't say I've ever tried apple pie with cheese on top. Or any fruit pie with cheese on top. I do love blueberry pie with vanilla frozen yogurt on it, though.

How about pumpkin pie? Pumpkin pie with a side of warm apple cider. And gingerbread cookies.

Mmmm. I <3 cinnamon.

Try it! I dunno about other types of pie, but in my family apple pie and cheddar cheese goes together like apple pie and cheddar cheese. :001_rolle

I'm a big fan of good pumpkin pie too, but there's so much mediocre stuff around and served year-long, unheated and uninspiring. But about this time of year, my Dad picks the apples off the trees in the back yard, and my Mum bakes them into wonderful pies. It's not a year-round thing ... it's seasonal, and it's now. We have to go out for the cheese, though.

I've heard of cheese on apple pie, but never tried it. Seems like a bit of a regional variance to me. I'd never thought of serving chili over rice until I lived in Memphis. Growing up in Kentucky and Ohio, everyone knew that Chili is supposed to be served over spaghetti.

Pecan pie is another dessert that I tend to associate with fall, as is a good pumpkin roll.

Baked Oatmeal with apples and cinammon. Put a nice size hunk in a bowl and top with milk. Great cool weather breakfast.

Short Ribs braised in Barolo over Polenta and French Onion Soup.

One the other side of the spectrum, the approaching weather means that hot coaco and corn chowder will soon be in the vending machiens :D

No one mentioned dessert!!

Ya gotta have warm-from-the-oven homemade apple pie, with a slice of cheddar cheese on top.

Oh, and breakfast time is now time for oatmeal. :biggrin:

Ian. All those things are right up my alley. To that I would add that custard pie is now entering my thoughts as well.

Regards, Todd

I'd never thought of serving chili over rice until I lived in Memphis. Growing up in Kentucky and Ohio, everyone knew that Chili is supposed to be served over spaghetti.

People sure do crazy things with chili. I just use a bowl. Sometimes I toss a handful of Fritos in the bowl first. Or roughly treated tortilla chips.

Peel, seed, and roast it.
Simmer with your favorite chicken stock.
Flavor with onion/shallot/leek, nutmeg, and cinammon.
Puree in blender to desired consistency.
Add cream and simmer and/or top with dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Serve with croutons.

I just picked up the goods for this soup. I saw the squash at the grocery store and immediately thought of this thread. Right now we've got beef stew simmering away!

I just picked up the goods for this soup. I saw the squash at the grocery store and immediately thought of this thread. Right now we've got beef stew simmering away!

Update: The stew was awesome and the leftovers today even better. Currently, I've got the squash roasting away in the oven for soup tonight. :drool: I'll post back with the results.

When the real Fall weather hit us here a few days ago (the sudden temperature change was almost rude) I put together a beef stew in a cast iron pot and let it bake in the oven. Perfect with a side of drop biscuits.

Update: The stew was awesome and the leftovers today even better. Currently, I've got the squash roasting away in the oven for soup tonight. :drool: I'll post back with the results.

Squash soup - attempt #1 results are in. Yuck.

I don't know where I went wrong...of course, I wasn't working from a recipe...:lol:

Started eating steel-cut oats about two years ago.
(Not at all the same thing as oatmeal, IMHO a gloppy mess which makes me gag -- apologies to Sam.).

Love 'em. And, they help lower your LDL & raise your HDL.

Dice up half an apple with about 1/3 cup of oats, a cup of water, a tbsp of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon. Put the lot in my 3-cup Zojirushi rice maker, set the timer, and the family has hot cereal for breakfast. Add some berries for an additional taste & health kick.

Squirrel season is upon us as well, so it is the perfect time to bust a few fuzzy tails and fry up some legs. I prefer lightly battered and deep-fried, plenty of pepper, and a touch of Tabasco sauce for some extra kick. Yum, yum.

A good pot of beans with a couple of hamhocks and a pan of cornbread with chedder and jalapenoes in it.

Cold weather always makes me want ham and dressing.

The problem I am having is trying to eat healthier in the winter to loose weight for season and also the fact that I cant eat dairy is limiting my soups. Arrrg.

The problem I am having is trying to eat healthier in the winter to loose weight for season and also the fact that I cant eat dairy is limiting my soups. Arrrg.

Good luck to you! Have you tried one of the turkey or chicken-based chili recipes (either red or white/green)? The white chili I've made in the past has been quite tasty and very filling, though I can't recall the recipe right now. Perhaps something akin to this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/White-Bean-Chicken-Chili/Detail.aspx would work well.

Top Bottom