What's new

Foods for cooler weather

breakfast: buttered toast w/ Wilkins & Sons tawny marmalade and Taylors of Harrogate's pure Assam leaf tea.

Chicken soup with dumplings - key to making good chicken soup - start with a nasty old stewing bird or a nice fat capon - none of the weenie factory chicken you get in the grocery store. The difference is incredible.

I make a very basic herb dumpling that is poached right in the soup.

Chili - try using diced beef (which you brown before adding to the chili), better flavour, nice consistency. If you want a treat, buy an inexpensive steak or eye of round instead of stewing beef - not much more $$, but much more tender/tasty without having to simmer for hours. I also use chickpeas instead of kidney beans

Virtually any pureed soup - squash, carrot, sweet potato - especially with a bit of a curry kick

Roast chicken and potatoes - just one of the best comfort foods ever - nothing fancy, just get a quality bird, a nice rub, baste frequently and mmmmm good.

Slow-Cooker/Crock-Pot Goodness - I love my crock-pot for the winter - nothing like throwing a bunch of stuff in the pot in the morning and coming home to a hot dinner. Pea soup with sausage or ham hock is a favourite.

Chicken soup with dumplings - key to making good chicken soup - start with a nasty old stewing bird or a nice fat capon - none of the weenie factory chicken you get in the grocery store. The difference is incredible.

That reminds me of another cold weather favorite of ours -- Coq au Vin. Same principle in bird selection -- tougher = better.

My lovely wife prepared a wonderful Carbonada Criolla (Argentine beef stew) last night. The Asian pears she added, along with the squash, made for a wonderful fall flavor.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
In honor of this thread, my largest Le Crueset is currently housing a nice rump roast, nestled by carrots and Yukon gold potatoes. Of course, I'll be at work by the thime it's done. :mad:

My wife's pot roast (one of the few things she knows how to cook [emphasis added] :wink:) ...
+1
I hear ya!

Oh, and as regards the original post -- baked yams or sweet potatoes. Plain, or maybe with a bit of salt & pepper, a dash of olive oil or (if I'm feeling decadent) butter, a dusting of brown sugar, and a drizzle of right proper Canadian maple syrup.

- Richard

ouch

Yams/sweet potatoes rule. Baked, boiled, grilled, fried- all good.

One of my favorite ultra decadent recipes for them-

slice yams 1/8"
in a blender, puree a chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce) with a cup of heavy cream
place yam slices in an au gratin pan, cover with chipotle cream, S&P, and bake 45-60 min until done

That sounds great ouch.
Incidentally, any idea how long the adobo chipotles last in the fridge once the can is opened? (In an airtight jar)

Had a nice beef stew at the inlaws (incommonlaws?) last night; potatoes, turnips, brussel sprouts and oddly enough peas, was very good.

Another cold weather one I do is pasta (fettuccine usually) with roasted butternut squash cubes, roasted pine nuts, roasted garlic, olive oil and parmesan.

ouch

That sounds great ouch.
Incidentally, any idea how long the adobo chipotles last in the fridge once the can is opened? (In an airtight jar)

I wouldn't think more than a week or so. When I open a can, I transfer the peppers individually to freezer bags/containers and freeze- they can go a few months that way.

That pasta dish sounds great! I usually toss cubes of butternut squash with onion, olive oil, S&P, and dried cranberries, then roast.

Snowball fight!

ouch

Hot and sour soup

Strong stock, vinegar, sugar, hot chili, tofu, blanched shredded pork, tiger lily buds, auricula cloud ears, dried mushroom, soy sauce, sesame oil, scallion, shredded bamboo shoot, egg.

ouch

I'm hungry and have a good sized butternut squash at home, who's got a soup recipe for me?

Peel, seed, and roast it.
Simmer with your favorite chicken stock.
Flavor with onion/shallot/leek, nutmeg, and cinammon.
Puree in blender to desired consistency.
Add cream and simmer and/or top with dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Serve with croutons.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No one mentioned dessert!!

Ya gotta have warm-from-the-oven homemade apple pie, with a slice of cheddar cheese on top.

Oh, and breakfast time is now time for oatmeal. :biggrin:

I ended up roasting the sqash and some whole garlic cloves and simmering with chicken stock, then toasting some pine nuts, cumin and curry powder and putting the whole thing in the blender.
Was great.

Ya gotta have warm-from-the-oven homemade apple pie, with a slice of cheddar cheese on top.

Can't say I've ever tried apple pie with cheese on top. Or any fruit pie with cheese on top. I do love blueberry pie with vanilla frozen yogurt on it, though.

How about pumpkin pie? Pumpkin pie with a side of warm apple cider. And gingerbread cookies.

Mmmm. I <3 cinnamon.

Top Bottom