What's new

Folsom & Co Aftershave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
FreddieP318ti and I bought these artisan aftershaves and thought we would review them for you. They are something relatively new on the market. I first spotted them on Maggards. I bought the Gun Powder and Freddie bought the Shambala. Then we both sent each other a sample of the one we didn't buy.

Gun Powder
This AS is wonderful. It's seems to me it's based off the cologne Dolce & Gabbanna "The One." I have the G&B cologne and the scent is remarkably similar. The difference between the two is the menthol. The dry down is nice and has staying power for a few hours. I know this AS has a regular place in my den. Based off what I've experienced with the first to scents, hopefully they will add to their line.

$Black powder.jpeg$Shambala.jpeg

I'll let Freddie review the Shambala and then I'll chime in too.

Last edited:
Hello all! As Aaron stated we each bought a bottle and gave them a go while sending samples to each other. I purchased the Shambala. I found this to have a nice citrus scent that I find familiar but yet I cannot place where I know it from. I started my shave with CRSW Select Vetiver and finished off with my usual Alum block and Thayers. I applied the splash as normal and instantly was pleased. It seemed to have just the right amount of menthol and a touch a burn that you would expect from an alcohol splash. The scent lasted throughout the day and awarded me several compliments form the wife and some coworkers. My skin felt nice with no tackiness or over drying.

I will say that between the 2 the Black Powder scent was my favorite and already have a bottle of that on order scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Shipping was quick and included in the price which was also very nice. Both splashes have earned a top spot in my rotation and I recommend them to anyone.

Last edited:
These are both very nice. For those of you who enjoy Mr. Fine's products, you might like these, too.

Black Powder is similar to Fine Platinum. Shambala is similar to TOBS' Eton College.

Thanks for both reviews. I blind ordered the Black Powder a couple days ago; glad to hear that it's "worthy".

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The Shambala is a nice clean citrus scent that I like a lot. I agree with Freddie on the scent being something modeled after cologne...what though, I don't know. Someone will figure it out.

I thought I read somewhere the Shambala smelled like CK ONE, maybe not modeled after but similar scent

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I sent an email to Folsom & Co. I asked them what the Shambala was modeled after, and if they planned on adding additional scents. We'll see......

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok guys here's the word. John from Folsom & Co. wrote a response to my email regarding modeling of his scents. Here they are:

"Black Powder is “inspired by” YSL’s La Nuit de L'Homme actually. Shambala closely resembles Issey Miyake’s L’Eau D'Issey. The scents aren’t exact of course. As far as other scents goes, I hope to have another scent out by the end of the year. :)"

So there it is.

I just received my bottle of Black Powder. I put some on my wrist to try it out, and will reserve judgement till actually using it post shave, but my initial impression is.......well, let me wait till I use it.

I finally got around to using the Black Powder. It's a very cooling aftershave - does what an AS is supposed to do. But it has a "metallic" smell to my nose that I'm not really diggin'.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The Capri scent is very similar to RazoRock XXX. The top note has more citrus though. The Muir has a smoky woods scent.

Both are nice and keepers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom