What's new

Fixing a rivet

Anyone try to re-rivet their razor? I have this guy...

$image.jpg

A friend of mine said I may be able to find a rivet this size at a Granger and use a rivet gun to re-attach.

Any ideas? In another thread, someone suggested a glue that may work, but I'd like to give the rivet a try if possible.

maybe try a Jeweller, i know when I had to fix a pin in my watch they were able to fix it with a brass pin, they might have a pin or rivet small enough and they should do a nice enough job putting it in, just a thought

maybe try a Jeweller, i know when I had to fix a pin in my watch they were able to fix it with a brass pin, they might have a pin or rivet small enough and they should do a nice enough job putting it in, just a thought

+1 on this idea, but it just might be just as easy (and cheaper) to replace it.

While your friend means well, I don' t think a "pop" style rivet (as "gun" leads me to think) is your answer, nor would it look right.

Maybe craft your own pin, and a tool of sorts to buck it with?

I'm not sure of the size required, but you might be able to fashion something out of a silver colored alloy brazing rod of sorts, aluminum coat hanger, or a brass rod from the craft/hardware store.

Again, it may just as well be best to find a replacement.

Cheers!

+1 on this idea, but it just might be just as easy (and cheaper) to replace it.

While your friend means well, I don' t think a "pop" style rivet (as "gun" leads me to think) is your answer, nor would it look right.

Maybe craft your own pin, and a tool of sorts to buck it with?

I'm not sure of the size required, but you might be able to fashion something out of a silver colored alloy brazing rod of sorts, aluminum coat hanger, or a brass rod from the craft/hardware store.

Again, it may just as well be best to find a replacement.

Cheers!

this is the reason i suggested a Jeweler(or maybe a clock/watch repairer), they should have an assortment of small pins or malleable rivets that they use on clocks or watches that could be made to work on the razor, plus they have the tools, skills and know how to make it look like it did when it left the factory, I know personally I would probably make a mess and wreck the razor in the process

That's a great idea...I'll have to weigh in the cost obviously. If i do it and it works I'll pass along the info.

Top Bottom