What's new

Fixing a keyfob for a '97 BMW 740i

Too bad the car was becoming too expensive to repair. I think by 97 german cars were getting more complex and less reliable (judging by a friends 3-series and my sold-off 98 Passat). If this 7-series had been another 5-10 years older it might still be going.

Hopefully the replacement will be even better.

Too bad the car was becoming too expensive to repair. I think by 97 german cars were getting more complex and less reliable (judging by a friends 3-series and my sold-off 98 Passat). If this 7-series had been another 5-10 years older it might still be going.

Hopefully the replacement will be even better.
Whatever you do, don’t get a VW.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
End of an era…
DACBB70F-80D0-4A2F-A915-F3D164970C11.jpeg

It did kinda feel that way. :biggrin:

View attachment 1348888
It did kinda feel that way. :biggrin:
Interestingly enough - I own two cars, with my daily being an incredibly rare 2015 BMW 740 LD. They only brought it to the US for one year if memory serves me correctly - and I’m not even sure if 100 made it to the US - but it’s an absolute joy. Long “limo” wheel base, x-drive all wheel drive, and a very stout diesel motor that makes north of 400 ft/lbs of torque and gets over 40mpg on the Highway and 30+ mpg in mixed driving. I can’t see putting less than 250k miles on this one. After 6 years and 50k miles, it’s been completely trouble free, incredibly comfortable, eerily quiet, offers a cruising range of ~700 miles per tank and handles better than some of the sports cars I have owned, which seems to defy the laws of physics.

I’ve never been much of a BMW car fan (but love their motorcycles - which I own and love) - but the BMW 7 series holds a special place in my heart - every one I’ve driven seems to create a ripple in the space/time continuum which transforms our awful California roads into glass like surfaces and allows you to enter a heightened state of calm, while still somehow managing to provide excellent tactile feedback and incredible performance, if you get the itch to act like a hoodlum and play roulette with your license.

It’s sad to see your trusty 7 being carried away, but it sure sounds like it brought you quite a bit of joy over the years - I hope in the future, I have a similar relationship as you have had with yours. 👍🏻

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I can’t see putting less than 250k miles on this one. After 6 years and 50k miles
6 years and 50k miles?

At that rate, you literally won’t hit 250k until 3017. :biggrin:

It’s sad to see your trusty 7 being carried away, but it sure sounds like it brought you quite a bit of joy over the years - I hope in the future, I have a similar relationship as you have had with yours. 👍🏻

It truly was sad. I had been through a lot with that car. It sat in my driveway for many months before I finally decided that it was time.

Take care of that 7, @joel and she’ll take care of you. :thumbup1:

You have the Alpina wheels on that baby? 😉😎

6 years and 50k miles?

At that rate, you literally won’t hit 250k until 3017. :biggrin:

Busted! Motorcycles are my primary means of transportation, hence the low miles. My other car’s mileage is embarrassing - but pre-Covid/lockdown, I would put 2-5k miles a month on motorcycles….

You have the Alpina wheels on that baby?

No, M sport - I don’t recall seeing Alpina wheels as a factory option on that particular model.

Top Bottom