What's new

First time using Kona coffee.

I ordered a pound of Kona coffee. I heard it is very strong. When I make it the first time should I start with the way I usually make it to compare or use less coffee?
I use a drip coffee maker and use 4 small scoops of coffee and 6 cups of water. Any advice is welcome.

I visited Buddha's Cup coffee farm in Kona on the Big island of Hawaii a couple years ago. I got a chance to talk with the roast master and I was surprised at how light they roast. Looked to be City or City+ at the most. Roaster was a large 10K capacity air roaster.

You have to be careful with Kona. A lot of stuff on the market is basically fake or only contains a small percentage of actual Kona coffee with cheaper stuff making up the bulk of the blend.

I've tried some of the real stuff at a local higher-end roaster/cafe and was not super impressed with it. That said these days I mostly drink lighter roasts, primarily African and South American coffees.

I got my Kona coffee beans in and tried it a couple of times. As 'timetofly' said above, I did not find it to be stronger than other dark roast coffee. I thought it was okay, but my wife did not like it. So I ended up giving it away.
I wanted to try it and I did. End of story.

Havnt had any for a long time l believe we got it at a Carbou coffee shop. I always get whole been and I dont recall it being stronger but might have been more flavorful. At any rate l liked it.

You have to be careful with Kona. A lot of stuff on the market is basically fake or only contains a small percentage of actual Kona coffee with cheaper stuff making up the bulk of the blend.
This. Unless it says it's Royal Kona, it's a blend; usually 10% Kona, the rest something else.

Reactions: Wid
Kona is what got me started in coffee. I went to the Big Island for my honeymoon and visited Kona Joe. After tasting it, I ditched the Folgers and French Vanilla creamer, and started drinking coffee black. Once I couldn't afford ordering from Kona anymore, I learned how to roast my own beans and have settled on Mexican coffee believe it or not.

But I digress. I concur that Kona is not particularly strong. And don't be afraid to try coffee from other parts of the island. Koa Coffee comes to mind.

Kona is what got me started in coffee. I went to the Big Island for my honeymoon and visited Kona Joe. After tasting it, I ditched the Folgers and French Vanilla creamer, and started drinking coffee black. Once I couldn't afford ordering from Kona anymore, I learned how to roast my own beans and have settled on Mexican coffee believe it or not.

But I digress. I concur that Kona is not particularly strong. And don't be afraid to try coffee from other parts of the island. Koa Coffee comes to mind.
I'll take a Kona or Mexican anyday.

This. Unless it says it's Royal Kona, it's a blend; usually 10% Kona, the rest something else.
Anything 10% or above can be marketed as Kona Coffee. Royal Kona is just another brand.

I drink way too much coffee for me to go above 25% on a regular basis, but when I want to splurge or if I'm back on the islands, I really enjoy Lappert's Blue Mauka

Kona Guide

As stated, kona is not strong tasting. If anything, it is the smoothest, easy drinking coffee there is. It's also true there are many fakes or mixed coffees. You know you are drinking kana when it is clean and easy to drink.

Top Bottom