What's new

First stub nib?

Hello, Nibsters!

I am considering buying my second FP, and I'd like something with a little more line variation than my trusty Lamy Safari. I see there is a replacement Lamy nib (1.1 italic), so I'm thinking about getting a Lamy Al-Star and swapping the nib. Any thoughts on the Lamy italic nib? Can it be used as an everyday writer, or is it for calligraphy?

First off, I don't think the Lamy 1.1 is a stub. The difference between the thick and thins lines from the Lamy are very distinct. In the stub there is some difference, but not drastically different.

A 1.1 can be used for everyday writing, if you don't have small handwriting. I print a lot, and 1.1 works okay. But there are times when I have to write small and my letters close up.

What you might do is just by the nib. If you don't like it, no big deal. But if you get it on a pen and don't like it...there's a pen you aren't using.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are there stub nibs for "entry-level" pens (Safari, Metropolitan)?

Alas, most "entry level" pens come with either standard F/M/B nibs, or a few with "italic" nibs ... a decent stub is harder to find at a decent price range. If you wanted to try italic, I'd say a 78g "B" (which is the same 1.1mm italic as in the Plumix, without having to buy that odd-looking Plumix) ... or a Kaweco Sport with italic nib ... or italic Lamy ... or ... any one of the other "italic" entry pens.

If I were buying a pen to be an "off the shelf" stub, I'd probably go with a pen that I can put an Edison 1.1mm #6 stub into ... be that an Edison or whatever else takes those stock-ish nibs. (I have one, and think it works well as a stub.) I think Sailor offers a "stub" stock-nib option on some of its mid-range pens (there is also a "zoom" nib that apparently changes width of ink line depending how you hold the pen) ... or you could look at "music" nibs or ... for a "stub turned 90 degrees" ... a Naginata Togi from Sailor. But none of these pens are anywhere near "entry level" pricing ... and some noticeably over the $200 range. *Gulp*.

Vintage German B and BB nibs often have a quite "stubby" character. However, they are probably hard to find overseas.

The Nemosine is good and cheap, but I much prefer the vintage No Nonsense Sheaffer sets. Don't get the new ones with their horrid Viewpoint bodies. Instead get earlier sets from the 1970s through the mid 90s. Lots of them are readily available and the Fine stub in that set actually makes for a good daily writer as well.

The Nemosine is good and cheap, but I much prefer the vintage No Nonsense Sheaffer sets. Don't get the new ones with their horrid Viewpoint bodies. Instead get earlier sets from the 1970s through the mid 90s. Lots of them are readily available and the Fine stub in that set actually makes for a good daily writer as well.

Also don't fall for the ones that have rubber grip sections, they aren't worth your money. Those Sheaffer "calligraphy sets" are also usually N.I.B. as well, probably for under $25 most of the time. Of course, there are some things to remember. Primary to keep in mind is that the NNS italic nibs are VERY sharp and not meant to be used for fast writing, like a stub. You can probably use the fine italic nib for an everyday writer, but there is a secondary set of italic nibs that is also available a good bit on eBay that has an XF italic, a 4B italic, and a SH-4 (shadow) nib. The XF italic would be even better than the F italic nib fort every day use, but you would of course get less line variation. Fortunately, the NNS italic nibs run VERY wide (iirc the F was 0.9/1.0 mm or so), so even the XF may work for you. The SH-4 is a fun nib too- it lays down two lines of ink, a thicker one and thinner one that is like a shadow of the thicker. Definitely not for everyday writing though. The second thing to keep in mind with those sets is that they included some paper, a calligraphy style book and cartridges usually. The carts almost assuredly will be dried out though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom