What's new

First shave with rolls razor!

So my dad just gave me his old rolls razor! It's I'm great shape and I figured I'd give it a shot!

Shave was pretty nice! No cuts or irritation or burning and nearly BBS! Pretty pleasant shave overall!

Anyone have any tips on this razor?

Mr Clark will be along soon enough. He's experimenting with the sharpening process on these older type razors.

Rolls are a great shave-set when they are shave ready.

Congratulations!

I always give mine just a couple of passes on the strop before I use it, and when I'm finished too. Just don't over strop it and the edge will hold up a long time for you without needing honed.

If it's shaving well; then don't mess with the hone.

When you put it away; always dry, and blow out any water from the back of the blade hole so it don't rust inside.

Take a part the handle and dry that too. I put Vasalene inside my handles so they don't rust.

If needed you can take both covers off, and clean the main unit with a toothbrush and a mild solvent. Lighter fluid works good.

Clean the gear tracks, and rollers. If you feel up to it, you can carefully pop/pry off the assembly that holds the blade inside and clean the friction pad in it with solvent also.

A clean friction pad allows good pressure to hold the blade down when stropping, and honing.

Great care must be taken when removing this assembly. You don't want to bend the "spring ears" that holds the blade because they will snap off and not bend. You also don't want to damage the red friction pad when re-assembling it ether.

After cleaning the tracks; use a BB size dab of Visealine on each side of them, and work it back and fourth. Just a small amount is all that is needed.

Take care of it and it should last you the rest of your shaving life, and then pass it on to the next generation.

Last edited:
I have three, one of which can be shaved with. It is so close to being a lovely shave, but pulls a bit. Both strop and hone appear to be in good order. Has anybody got any tips as to how I can improve the blade a bit? Thanks

I have three, one of which can be shaved with. It is so close to being a lovely shave, but pulls a bit. Both strop and hone appear to be in good order. Has anybody got any tips as to how I can improve the blade a bit? Thanks

Try honing it on a good razor hone like you would a straight razor outside of the case to prepare it.

Don't use the Roll's hone for this.

I put a layer of tape on the spine to keep the bevel to what I think is correct, but others don't bother.

The Roll's hone, and strop is for maintaining the blade and not preparing it to a shave ready state.

Thanks for that info but unfortunately I don't own a hone.

I do have an old 2.5 inch strop that doesn't have any tears in it. Could I try that with some paste on it, and if yes, what colour paste?

Thanks.

Blimey! Still no appearance from Mr Clark :D

He's 'The Whetter' ... he is.

Yeah, I like my Rolls and should shave with it more. Marcus showed is how to prep out kits to make them run for the 21st Century, but I just happened upon a pot of genuine Rolls strop paste, which looks like jewelllers' rouge, so basically, an abrasive paste to stick on our strops. I'm going to sent it to Marcus for consideration, but in the end, these Rolls kits are solid.

Happen upon a good one with an acceptable blade, intact hone and good strop, it'll give you a great shave for years! It look scary, but it's a close and smooth shave that is so worthy of celebration, even today.

Top Bottom