What's new

First Shave with de Muhle R41(2013)Whoa!

I was somewhat anxious to shave with the R41, with all the aggressiveness hype and reputation it get's here on B&B.
And of course with me only being on my 6th week of wet DE shaving.

Anyway, I showered and prep'd as normal, but used a little TFH PSO along with the pre-shave lather & hot towel.
Loaded an Astra SP blade in de Muhle after relathering and started with my first WTG pass.
Oh I forgot to mention it has been a particularily rough work week and I had not shaved since Tuesday. I had missed my Thursday shave and since Friday's are casual day at work I did not shave Friday either. So I had 3 plus days of growth. I was hopefull the Muhle would not mind.

With the extra growth, the blade did not glide as smoothly as I thought it would, so I went with shorter quick strokes as some have mentioned here. First pass went great, no nicks. Next, relathered and went XTG, which went quite well, since I'd knocked down most of the beard on the first pass. I only needed a few touchup spots ATG. I was surprised no nicks or weepers yet. I did a cool water rince and decided to use Alum block just to see how well or poor I had done. WOW... is all I can say, I had no sting or zing at all from alum, and felt no irration whatsoever. I was using MWF only for the 3rd time, and my lather was just okay, not great.

I definitely felt the aggressiveness and blade of de Muhle R41 more than I did with the 22R. But I rather enjoyed the feel and feedback I got from the razor to help be control the angle of attack. I was probably being considerably more cautious shaving and paying particular attention to technique and using no pressure which contributted to such a great shave, even with sub par lather.

I hope having such a great first shave with the R41does not get me too over confident and set me up for diasterous second shave.I will try to respect the Muhle, least he bite me.

I think my first DE razor, the Parker 22R, will be cast aside and unto the old unused razors realms. But the 22R did provide me a good enough first shave to suck me into this whole wet shaving realm, so I do owe it a thank you at least.

Nice!
Next ... The R42 :

$DSC03920_zps186c9122.jpg

Congrats on the great shave! :thumbup1:

Thanks for your timely post!

I just received my 2013 R41 head in the mail and was wondering how the Astra SP would work in it (since I have a good number of them for my R89).

My debate at the moment is whether I will try the R41 head on the Muhle handle that came with my R89 or wait until next week when my Weber bulldog handle comes in.

I just received my 2013 R41 head in the mail and was wondering how the Astra SP would work in it (since I have a good number of them for my R89).

My debate at the moment is whether I will try the R41 head on the Muhle handle that came with my R89 or wait until next week when my Weber bulldog handle comes in.
You are welcome, I ordered the R41 with a BD handle and enjoyed the weight of the BD handle.

Weber Bulldog! +1 world of difference in my opinion.

Now it's time to try the 2011 R41. :)

Note the R41 (2011) on the left. This is what we refer to as blade exposure, boys and girls.

This is a great photo comparing the differences between the two versions of the R41, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the second shave went well also. Only one small weeper and a few stings. Could be due to prep change, With no shower, so I used Noxzema, for ten minutes before first lather & hot towel and no PSO. It was also the 2nd shave on the Astra SP blade. Still very impressed with the R41.

Last edited:
Note the R41 (2011) on the left. This is what we refer to as blade exposure, boys and girls.

This is a great photo comparing the differences between the two versions of the R41, thanks.

The 2011 really is a different animal compared to the 2013. At a casual glance they look similar. Once you add a blade the difference becomes apparent and obvious. Once you shave with both, there is no comparison to me.

The 2011 really is a different animal compared to the 2013. At a casual glance they look similar. Once you add a blade the difference becomes apparent and obvious. Once you shave with both, there is no comparison to me.

I used a R41 (2011) when they first came out and got very close shaves without loss of blood or body parts, however I eventually sold it as I never particularly enjoyed those shaves. For me it was a technical exercise in good technique. I recall going back to my Merkur 34 after using the R41 and not even feeling it against my face. What were your impressions of the 2011?

I'm intrigued that Muhle re-engineered the top cap reducing the exposure and someday will have to try the 2013 version.

I used a R41 (2011) when they first came out and got very close shaves without loss of blood or body parts, however I eventually sold it as I never particularly enjoyed those shaves. For me it was a technical exercise in good technique. I recall going back to my Merkur 34 after using the R41 and not even feeling it against my face. What were your impressions of the 2011?

I'm intrigued that Muhle re-engineered the top cap reducing the exposure and someday will have to try the 2013 version.

I have limited experience with DE shaving. I've had only 5 razors total. The Boss I first got, the Weber, the RazoRock Jaws OC, the Muhle 2011 R41 and the 2013 Muhle R41. Each razor, to me, is completely different.

That said, I feel the 2011 is far more aggressive than the 2013 while the 2013 is smoother. With the 2011 you can feel the blade and it give the most audible clues as to how the shave is going. That sucker really sings. Because I've tried the RazoRock, the 2013 and 2011 in that order, I've really worked on my technique. Especially since the 2013 bit me once. So, although I can definitely feel how aggressive the 2011 is, I've been improving my technique to allow for a relatively drama free shave with the 2011.

Comparatively, the Weber, to me, is so mild that I don't feel it gave me a close enough shave. It certainly isn't as efficient as either of the R41s. Especially around the tough spots where the Muhle razors handle adeptly.

Another thing, I believe the handle you use matters. I have found the Weber Bulldog is the best option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom