What's new

First safety razor for a newbie

You have embarked upon a journey that will take you to strange new places... in a good way of course.

Ok I agree with all the previous posts, for a beginner razor the merkur hd or the ej 89l are best.

You mentioned about brush/bowl/ cream suggestions, I'd suggest the following:

Brush: try to get both a badger brush and boar brush, for badger an ej best or super would be good, remember that the higher grade of hair yougo for, the more expensive the brush will be so try to stick with those two grades for now, silvertip is very pricey but worth it. Boar wise, try an omega pro 48 or 49. Once you've broken it in it works very well with both soaps and creams.

Ok, bowls, for cheapness go to your local supermarket and get yourself a large cappucino mug, these work really well. if you want a proper shaving bowl or mug, again look at the ej range of products. If you want you can get a scuttle but keep in mind you need to get your lathering technique down first. I'm gonna get a scuttle later on this year as a present for myself and I've been doing de shaving for a year now.

Creams... bit more difficult this, it depends really on what you want the cream to do, be slick, moist, give plently of glide, protection etc. I'd suggest the following:

Real shaving company cream, sensitive or moisturising. This cream is cheap and produces a lot of lather.
Kiss my face, any scent. Same as above, cheap and loads of lather.
Cyril salter any scent, more protection but good cream.
Palmolive for men classic european, cheap and shaves well
Proraso, very cooling, good for summer

Trumpers limes is one of my favourites but isn't that cheap. If you want, buy 2 or 3 tubes (cyril salter don't do tubes) of different creams and experiment.

Hope this is of use and remember, if you catch shaving acquisition disorder, you didn't get it from me lol.

Top Bottom