What's new

First Paladin. I get it now.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been a synthetic fan since they first came out. Maintenance free, super good lather... what's not to like? I've been at this for a long time. Not decades like some of you. But long enough that synths were just being introduced when I started. And they were terrible. Then they weren't. But before synths got really good, I had amassed a small collection of natural brushes... boars, badgers, horse. The only decent badger I owned was a Simpsons Duke 3. I still have it. Good brush. And I break out the Duke on occasion to be nostalgic. But I use synth brushes 99.5% of the time. I just love the feel and the lather. I love not soaking them pre shave. I love shaking them off, and they're instantly dry. I have some really nice custom synth brushes too. So I am not just using the inexpensive off-the-shelf stuff. My synths are better than anything else I had tried until now. The Duke included. Well... as a connoisseur of fine shaving gear, I have lusted after a Paladin brush since they were released. The look and build quality appeal to me. And the mystique of their reputation grips me. However, my assumption was that despite the high build quality, the knot quality, and the cost, these mysterious Paladin brushes really would not provide a much better lather experience than my current brushes. For example, I feel the massive expenditure on a Wolfman or Charcoal Good razor is worthy, as the shaving experience is so much better than lessor razors. But that couldn't be true for something so fundamental as a brush to rub lather onto the face, could it? Well I could not stand the suspense any longer. I set out to buy a Paladin. After all, why not aim for what is arguably the best brush made today. When a lovely Lemon Drop Paladin Polo showed up on the BST for a decent price, I jumped on it. It arrived last night, and I shaved with it this morning. I am 99% a face latherer. And there was no deviation from that today. I loaded the brush from the tub, and touched it to my face. Upon the first swirl, I was floored. The feel on my face was magical. I still cant believe it. It was simultaneously soft and firm. There is enough backbone to whip up a good lather, but the face feel is angelic. And the lather was to die for. Amazing. It really was a very enlightening experience. I get it now. I really do.

2021-03-20 10.35.39-1.jpg

linty1

My wallet cries.
Wow... just looking at the bristles in your photo and it just -looks- all billowy and soft..

I'm looking at their website... not for the faint of heart.. but it -does- look very nice

Congrats on the beautiful brush! I was seriously considering a Paladin recently, but I ultimately shied away because I was afraid it'd be too soft, and I like a bit of scrub in my brushes.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Congrats on the beautiful brush! I was seriously considering a Paladin recently, but I ultimately shied away because I was afraid it'd be too soft, and I like a bit of scrub in my brushes.

Yeah, this brush can scrub for sure, but there is no scritch. There is a difference to me. Scritch is that scrub with a bit of scratchiness behind it. A good scrub will massage and exfoliate the skin without feeling that scritchy scratchy sensation. My Duke 3 has a bit of scritch, which is good at times, but undesirable at others. But I know what you mean. I have a couple of synths that are so soft, and have so little backbone, that there is no scrub even though they work up a great lather. The Paladin just feels right to me. As I mentioned, from the moment I did the first swirl, I could tell it wasnt like anything I had every felt before in a shaving brush.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
There was a lemon drop 26mm Moe there earlier this week that sorely tempted me, but I resisted, and it has since sold. But I agree that the lemon drop is a gorgeous resin.

Reactions: GNR

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Sorry, but what is a "Moe"?
The 'Moe' is Paladin's interpretation of the Simpsons' Eagle brush handle style. Not an exact copy by any means, but the Eagle influence is there. I believe this is the one in lemon drop that sold earlier this week.

There was a lemon drop 26mm Moe there earlier this week that sorely tempted me, but I resisted, and it has since sold. But I agree that the lemon drop is a gorgeous resin.
I looked at that Lemon Drop Moe soooo many times. It took some serious restraint to not buy it. I love my Paladin El Dorado, so now I’m selectively stalking the website for the handle and color I want.

Top Bottom